grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

Nolan has done it again. INTERSTELLAR is connecting with the worldwide audience. I thought this would be a tough sell.

Other movies that connected with the WW audience far more than domestic audiences:

Spider-Man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Pirates of the Caribbean:  On Stranger Tides

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Alice in Wonderland

The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit:  Desolation of Smaug

Ice Age:  Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Ice Age:  Continental Drift

Ice Age:  Meltdown

The Da Vinci Code

Matagascar 3:  Europe's Most Wanted

Kung Fu Panda 2

Mama Mia

:ph34r:

• Like 4

Other movies that connected with the WW audience far more than domestic audiences:

Spider-Man 3

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon

Transformers: Age of Extinction

Pirates of the Caribbean:  On Stranger Tides

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Alice in Wonderland

The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit:  Desolation of Smaug

Ice Age:  Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Ice Age:  Continental Drift

Ice Age:  Meltdown

The Da Vinci Code

Matagascar 3:  Europe's Most Wanted

Kung Fu Panda 2

Mama Mia

:ph34r:

When I said worldwide, I meant including N.A.

• Like 2

So real quick, Interstellar has outperformed Skyfall's adjusted OD multiplier by 9.9% through Thursday.  Staying at 9.9% would yield a weekend of ~23M, which is unlikely (that would require a ~100% Friday jump), so that % will continue to grow over the weekend.  At 9.9% it is pacing for a finish at 171M, and it will likely also finish over that 9.9%.  Where it will finish is difficult to determine as Skyfall did not have to contend with a potential 4-Quad opener (though BD2 did open to 140M+).  

FWIW, the target for 200M is 29.1%.

Comparing BH6 to WiR, its currently pacing ahead of the OD multiplier by 12.2% (Wednesday is inflating this figure), on pace for a 235M finish.  20% sets it on target for 250M.  44% for 300M (obviously don't see this happening).

Through Sunday IS is now at 18.7% (184M pace) and BH6 is now at 8.1% (226M pace).  

• Like 3

The whole point is when people dislike a film and say it only did well because of its overseas gross can't then say the same thing for a film that did well due to an overseas gross.

Point is the box office is global these days and it has to be as budgets skyrocket.

If a film does not become a global success then it will not become a hit. 

• Like 3

The whole point is when people dislike a film and say it only did well because of its overseas gross can't then say the same thing for a film that did well due to an overseas gross.

Point is the box office is global these days and it has to be as budgets skyrocket.

Revelatory words. 

• Like 2

You are the epitome of "point out the obvious" bro

• Like 5

And what's your point? Avatar and Titanic made more than 70% of their money overseas too.

Just this:   OS audiences might have different tastes than NA audiences.   I consider Spider-Man 3 to be an abomination but it is actually the highest grossing Spider-Man film...thanks to OS audiences.    Is the OS taste really a good comparison?   They really seem to eat up stuff that domestic audiences yawn at or openly dislike.

So offering up praise like, "Nolan has done it again. INTERSTELLAR is connecting with the worldwide audience" sounds a little deceptive to me.   

Comparison time:  "Michael Bay has done it again. Transformers 4 is connecting with the worldwide audience"

"Burton has done it again. Alice in Wonderland is connecting with the worldwide audience"

• Like 1

Damn, Gone Girl just will not quit. Heading for a 5x multi at this rate and the best WOM of the year (so far).

Also yay for The Maze Runner hitting 100. One of, if not the biggest pleasant surprise I had at the movies this year.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

Comparison time:  "Michael Bay has done it again. Transformers 4 is connecting with the worldwide audience"

"Burton has done it again. Alice in Wonderland is connecting with the worldwide audience"

Well... yeah? They did.

As far as Nolan goes I would say that getting plot-heavy movies like Inception and IS to do big numbers overseas is pretty good going. The latter, in particular, is being sold almost entirely on his name alone if the people I know are anything to go by.

Edited by Untitled Hatebox Project
  • Like 1

Just this:   OS audiences might have different tastes than NA audiences.   I consider Spider-Man 3 to be an abomination but it is actually the highest grossing Spider-Man film...thanks to OS audiences.    Is the OS taste really a good comparison?   They really seem to eat up stuff that domestic audiences yawn at or openly dislike.

So offering up praise like, "Nolan has done it again. INTERSTELLAR is connecting with the worldwide audience" sounds a little deceptive to me.   

As if the domestic audience is much better in that regard. I watch people pay $15 for a ticket and then have to run to the bathroom or concession stand every 20 minutes and it blows my mind. People in general all over the world have the attention span of a gnat these days. I'm actually pretty amazed that a movie like Interstellar is making any money at all.

• Like 1

Also now that Carrey just scored his first real (live action) hit in over a decade, I'm bracing myself for the incoming desperate sequels to the Mask, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, and a third Ace Ventura. If he does a Truman Show sequel though, so help me....

Let's hope like hell that doesn't happen, lol. Truman Show is great...needs to stand on its own.

• Like 2