grim22

Weekend Numbers (Nov 14-16) pg 39

The salaries have changed today.  Actors don't get that big money like they used to.

Tell that to RDJ who got 50 million dollars for TA and likely as much from Im3. 

Imo certain actors will command big salaries but they unlike before it is not a given. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Unfortunately for the guys that financed Transcendence, you're wrong. Depp laughing his way to the bank with $20m on a huge flop. :lol:

Yes, but those are few and far between now.  

Come on dude.  I know that.  I follow this stuff.  Thanks for pointing out the obvious.  Those are special circumstances where they signed for points.  My point is that salaries have come down immensely in the last 5 years.  There are exceptions of course.

• Like 1

Imo certain actors will command big salaries but they unlike before it is not a given. 

But RDJ didn't get all of that upfront. He negotiated gross points on TA, IM3 and apparently on every movie he will appear in going forward. By the time Infinity War Part 2 comes along he will have made enough to buy a small island somewhere, and hire the rest of his costars as the domestic help paying them more than what they make on the movies themselves.

• Like 2

Well... yeah? They did.

Fine by me if Nolan fans want to group him in with Michael Bay. Just needed clarification on that.

As far as Nolan goes I would say that getting plot-heavy movies like Inception and IS to do big numbers overseas is pretty good going. The latter, in particular, is being sold almost entirely on his name alone if the people I know are anything to go by.

Not sure his name means a lot. The ads I saw mentioned the movies he directed, but not him. Plus, this may be proving that he can't carry a blockbuster without Batman or Leo.

And if there was a fanboy element at work in regard to his name....wouldn't that make for huge opening weekends and mediocre legs?

• Like 1

To clarify, I meant that the dates in 2008 are identical with the dates in 2014 (both opened Friday, November 7th).  Wasn't referring to performance.

I understand, and wasn't targeting your post, actually, even though it was the origin of this mini-discussion. I just meant that their runs only coincidentally look similar to this point after their OWs, and that before and after this they should diverge significantly, or else something is going terribly wrong--something unprecedented even before WDAS began their latest hot streak, and would be even more strange in light of it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for the guys that financed Transcendence, you're wrong. Depp laughing his way to the bank with $20m on a huge flop. :lol:

And if he keeps flopping, he'll be laughing his way to obscurity or a Sharknado franchise.

Interstellar would have been a Source Code type of film without Nolan. He's a truly unique film maker, achieving that some visionaries could never do, find the way to sell non-Hollywood art work on a big scale to the masses. Nolan's achievements will be far beyond his work, the fact that he has a huge fanbase is one thing, but he might inspire people the way musicians or great leaders do. Maybe somewhere in a tiny village in Oregon a genius kid watches Interstellar and will be inspired to study science and will come up with big things in his life. Nolan films has the power to stay with you beyond the entertainment level.

I truly adore Nolan's ambition. Really curious what he's next project is going to be. I'd love him to stay with science, maybe a biopic of an interesting character, Faraday, Newton...

Edited by Alfredstellar

Nolan is a brand.

Meaning simply being a Nolan film does not mean everyone will flock to see it.

However if people hear good things about the fact it is a Nolan film would convince people more easily to see it.

Another great example is GOTG, it did well as it was an entertaining blockbuster. However the fact it had the Marvel brand behind it likely convinced audience goers to see it as well. 

Tell me if some other studio made a film about a guy named Starlord a green assassin, a racoon and a tree it would have made anywhere near as much? 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I liked to see Nolan tackle a smaller film next, maybe a biopic or a thriller of some sort.

Honestly I'd like to see him do his Howard Hughes biopic. It's been 10 years since The Aviator and I'm especially interested, because he called it the best script he had ever written.

Maybe even Jim Carrey can still play the role, like originally planned. Would be nice to see him in another dramatic role as well.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1