Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I miss Nikki Finke even if she's awful at math and a little crazy, at least she gives us early numbers to obsess about until the official estimates are in

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

I miss Nikki Finke even if she's awful at math band a little crazy, at least she gives us early numbers to obsess about until the official estimates are in

Can't be too hard on her. I never could master Math Band either. Something about dividing while trying to play the clarinet never clicked for me.

• Like 2

Lionsgate don't need any "spin". Deadline is doing their work for them

Yes, Mockingjay doesn’t have the IMAX uptick like CF did a year ago. Paramount needed those hubs to show off the jawdropping space and tidal wave scenes inInterstellar.  Back out the $12.2M IMAX bow from CF‘s opening weekend of $158.07M and you’re left with largely a 2D take of $145.87M.  Bad weather? Nah, Buffalo, NY was never a B.O. fountainhead. The soft domestic box office is a factor: Mockingjay and Transformers 4 are the only films to open past $98M this year; while 2013 boasted three $10oM-plus openers and 2012 had four.

Mockingjay’s lower than franchise-record opening simply boils down to threequel-itis, a common, cyclical trend that effects a franchise’s third installments at the domestic B.O. without any major reason other than that they’re the third chapter.  When Threequelitis strikes, as in the supposed case of Mockingjay, does it mean the franchise is broken? No. Does it mean that fans are put off? Hell, no. Hunger Games fans have all the time between now and Dec. 12 when the next tentpole arrives, Fox’s Exodus: Gods and Kings.

double-facepalm.jpg

Edited by grim22
  • Like 8

Lionsgate don't need any "spin". Deadline is doing their work for them

double-facepalm.jpg

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Edit: Why are they just subtracting IMAX from the gross? Most likely some of those individuals would have gone to 2D showings. 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

They may be trying a bit too hard but "threequelitis" (lol I'm totally calling it that now) is real though. That's why LOTR's still the ONLY franchise in history to not come down with it.

And let's just take this moment to bow in awe of that trilogy's masterful presence while we're all at it. Because it sure as hell bows to no one.

They may be trying a bit too hard but "threequelitis" (lol I'm totally calling it that now) is real though. That's why LOTR's still the ONLY franchise in history to not come down with it.

And let's just take this moment to bow in awe of that trilogy's masterful presence while we're all at it. Because it sure as hell bows to no one.

Bourne Ultimatum increased from its predecessors. Oh and the first three Bourne movies are better than LOTR. They at least know when to end instead of dragging on and on.

• Like 3

I don't understand how someone can actually think a person that's willing to spend $15-20 on an IMAX ticket wouldn't watch the movie in a regular theater if IMAX wasn't available. Amazing these people actually get paid to write this "analysis."

And that's where the trying too hard comes in. Also why not bring up the lack of marketing instead? Geez, does no one in the industry realize the importance of creating awareness anymore?

And that's where the trying too hard comes in. Also why not bring up the lack of marketing instead? Geez, does no one in the industry realize the importance of creating awareness anymore?

That is where working in the industry probably hurts. They are extremely aware of everything being released by the major studios, so they are in a bubble and can't imagine that the rest of the public isn't as aware. We are too for that matter, which is how you end up with people over-predicting by such a long shot in various cases.

Bourne Ultimatum increased from its predecessors. Oh and the first three Bourne movies are better than LOTR. They at least know when to end instead of dragging on and on.

None of the LOTR movies ever drag on except maybe the last 30 minutes of ROTK which I think was earned.

• Like 2