Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I disagree after watching the movie there was plenty they still could of used

I dunno I think there are just 2 major ones, the other things i think are too short or does not have that much impact but yeah skillful marketing could have maximize what they have at their disposal

• Like 1

November (Details)

Bond 24 (Sony) - 11/6

The Peanuts Movie (Fox) - 11/6

Friday the 13th (2015) (Par.) - 11/13

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (LGF) - 11/20

The Good Dinosaur (BV) - 11/25

The Martian (Fox) - 11/25

Midnight Special (WB) - 11/25

Seth Rogen/Joseph Gordon-Levitt X-Mas Movie (Sony) - 11/25

December (Details)

Krampus (Uni.) - 12/4

The Nest (Uni.) - 12/18

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (BV) - 12/18

Kung Fu Panda 3 (Fox) - 12/23

Dirty Grandpa (tentative title) (LGF) - 12/25

Joy (Fox) - 12/25

Mission Impossible 5 (Par.) - 12/25

The Revenant (Fox) - 12/25

Wait, there's really nothing scheduled for December 11th?

You told me nothing! :rofl: God, the whole point of this conversation was how despite whatever you call facts, and I don't mean actual factual data such as numbers..but using a sort of bias to lead your predictions and the crazy lowballing for DOM or what have you..

but

went over your head

:P

No bias at all. I actually predicted 148M, but when even die hard Hunger Games fan say the marketing was bad, and the reviews are pretty bad by logical deduction, you can call those things even if some fans refuse to believe them true or possible.

• Like 1

Disney will probably find some BS way to get GOTG ahead again if MJ beats it by just 1-2m.

I don't actually think it'll follow Catching Fire from here. It did follow Deathly Hallows Part 1 through the weekend, as we saw, so a similar overall run might be possible as well. Maybe a tad better, because Hunger Games is the current biggest thing out there, so maybe 320.

Neither Harry Potter 7.1 nor Twilight 4.1 took such steep dives during opening day or weekend.

It has to be that people like to see Hunger Games and are not interested in politics.

Not that THG doesn't have a dedicated fanbase living and breathing for the series, but the Twilight and Potter movies probably played to a bigger chunk of those fans up to their eyeballs in it. So, they didn't get the $400m sequel, because the general audience wasn't as interested, but the ride or die fans are more likely to be in for the split movie cash grab. They lost some business for Part 1 but not nearly this much.

It will be interesting to see what angle the studios uses with Mockingjay 2 to lure audiences. I think Katniss taking care of business in the arena and the whole idea of surviving the Games was very appealing, but even without that, I think a single Mockingjay would've outgrossed Catching Fire for sure. But with "nothing happening" in Mockingjay 1, and Mockingjay 2 not coming for another year...could the franchise just go out with the ultimate whimper? Maybe the casual audience who just liked the movies well enough and heard "bad" things about Mockingjay 1 won't be rushing to theaters in droves for Mockingjay 2 twelve months from now. It will probably make Lionsgate much more money so I guess they don't care whether it's a good look or not.

Allegiant, though...the fan hate for that book is major, far more than with the other big YA series, the series isn't that popular and the movies are far more expensive than The Maze Runner... I hope they aren't already counting on that Allegiant 1 and 2 money because that could go bad in a major way.

As for Twilight, the whole point was never about action as much as it was romance, so the events of Breaking Dawn Part 1 (wedding/honeymoon/birth/etc.) would definitely count as something "happening" for the fans of the series.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

BOM's tickets sold are not exact for newer movies because they don't factor in IMAX and 3D pricing. It is flat 2D average price that is used. So it may actually go further back than even The Bible: In the Beginning.

It does do that.

• Like 1

The most interesting fact here : 2014 was a weak year in the US despite it was the biggest recent year for the US economy at the same time! While the recession was strong and the unemployment quite high the DOM BO was strong.

Does that mean people are more likely to watch a movie during a recession? Does that mean people have less time for leisure when they find a job again? Or is it because of an inadequate supply?

It's the opposite of what happened in Spain : the BO strongly fell during the recession there and really suffered from it, now the BO started to recover as the economy gets better.

It would be an interesting case study for sure, and an example of cultural differences leading to different results.

Like I said last year, it's all about the films, got very little to do with the economy.

• Like 2

Thinking about it, it's really incredible how a smal studio like Lionsgate got their hands on 2 out of the 3 biggest YA phenomenons. Plus, they succesfully started a smaller one: Divergent. Fox has Maze Runner but somehow they fucked it up with Percy Jackson that is such an enormous book seller (still in NYT Bestseller list). I wonder what will be the next big thing and who will get it (Fantastic Beasts aside). 

I hear Relativity Media has the rights to Tunnels. If made right, that could be huge. It's such a well written and fantastic books series. Also very dark.

Tunnels_Roderick_Gordon_%26_Brian_Willia

Currently reading book 5, Spiral:

Spiral%20Front%20Cover%20Final%20LR.jpg

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Next November and December are much more crowded than this year's. That's just about the strongest 2 months of movies you'll ever see. Bond is certain to be bigger than Interstellar, and while Peanuts may not put up BH6 numbers, Bond should be more than able to make up the difference. Good Dinosaur should be a lot bigger than Penguins. And then Star Wars, MI5, and KFP3 will easily be bigger than whatever the top 3 of this December turn out to be.

For very obvious logical reasons, over the past year people have been predicting that HG4 would increase over HG3. But when you look at that schedule, there simply might not be room for a huge increase.

The heavy hitters crammed into those 2 months could probably just about cover an entire regular 4-month summer season.

It's easy to look at the schedule and think "how on earth could these not be just the biggest two months ever?!". And then things just end up being very meh. I've done it before.

• Like 5

As a casual observer of THG, this opening weekend is lower, sure, but you're still talking about a weekend of about 125 million.  Think about that for a second.  That's an incredible number.  So it's not going to come close to the first two, imo, big deal.  The finla film will undoubtedly gross much more.  And when all the dust clears, this film will gross about 800 mill WW and the next one might make a billion.  LG has done well with their YA franchises.

• Like 7

As a casual observer of THG, this opening weekend is lower, sure, but you're still talking about a weekend of about 125 million.  Think about that for a second.  That's an incredible number.  So it's not going to come close to the first two, imo, big deal.  The finla film will undoubtedly gross much more.  And when all the dust clears, this film will gross about 800 mill WW and the next one might make a billion.  LG has done well with their YA franchises.

This. I hate all of the "flopingjay" comments for this reason. In what world is Mockingjay a flop?

• Like 6

125m ain't what it used to be.

Sure it is.  How many films gross 125 million opening weekend?  You're talking about less than 20 films in the history of film.  When you say it isn't what it used to be, who cares?  I'll tell you who cares, Lionsgate.  When all the receipts are counted and they have pulled in about 340 million for this film, do you really think they are going to cry over not making it to 400?  If they would have left this as one movie, then they would have missed out on piles of money.

This is not a flop and if anyone is really serious about saying it is, then go post on the imdb boards, that's much more your speed.

Edited by baumer

Put it this way, it's the worst biggest OW of the year since 2000. And we're living in an increasingly frontloaded world.

And how exactly does this matter?  It's not a dick measuring contest.  It's all about money and THG is allowing LG to swim in it.  Records and such are for nerds like us.  

• Like 6

And how exactly does this matter?  It's not a dick measuring contest.  It's all about money and THG is allowing LG to swim in it.  Records and such are for nerds like us.

That part.

I have nothing to do with Lionsgate so what does it matter if they're swimming in cash? I'm not gonna pretend that 125m is a good number in 2014 when it's just not.

• Like 1

I go to sleep and 8 hours later I wake up to 101 like notifications.

What

The

Fuck

Happened

Overnight?

EDIT: Nevermind I checked, Blank happened.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3