Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

Speaking of crying and IS, why was everyone constantly either bursting into tears or on the brink of it? I swear I haven't seen that much unnecessary misty eye since Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

Do you mean the characters in the movie or people in the movie theater? :lol:

• Like 3

There's no realistic scenario where Lionsgate doesn't have more profit from splitting it than keeping it as one movie, even with $100m less domestic for MJ1. They'd be banking on an Iron Man 3-like increase compared to THG and CF (Dom. and WW) to justify that. Still a lousy creative decision though.

I agree that it makes wise financial sense to split it up into 2 movies. There's just more money over all.

But let's consider JUST domestic numbers (imaginary):

Mockingjay (big long single movie) - 450M

So lets cut it in half and say the studio gets 225. Subtract 175 for the production budget (bigger than a single movie, but not as much as 250 combined for 2 movies)  and 100 for marketing, and they're down 50M. (just looking at domestic, not overseas)

Mockingjay Pt 1 - 330

Mockingjay Pt 2 - 330

So lets cut that in half and say the studio gets 330. Subtract out 250 for the production budgets for the 2 movies, and lets say another 150 for combined marketing (70 + 80), and the studio is down 70M.

Now just looking at domestic box offcie only, maybe the studio is better off just making 1 movies instead of 2.

But obviously both of those numbers are going to change greatly when you factor in overseas numbers. Not to mention after you factor in the sales of 2 dvd's instead of just one. (And selling tv rights for 2 movies, instead of just 1, etc.)

But still, it's interesting to think about what the numbers might actually be if they had done things differently.

• Like 3

I agree that it makes wise financial sense to split it up into 2 movies. There's just more money over all.

But let's consider JUST domestic numbers (imaginary):

Mockingjay (big long single movie) - 450M

So lets cut it in half and say the studio gets 225. Subtract 175 for the production budget (bigger than a single movie, but not as much as 250 combined for 2 movies)  and 100 for marketing, and they're down 50M. (just looking at domestic, not overseas)

Mockingjay Pt 1 - 330

Mockingjay Pt 2 - 330

So lets cut that in half and say the studio gets 330. Subtract out 250 for the production budgets for the 2 movies, and lets say another 150 for combined marketing (70 + 80), and the studio is down 70M.

Now just looking at domestic box offcie only, maybe the studio is better off just making 1 movies instead of 2.

But obviously both of those numbers are going to change greatly when you factor in overseas numbers. Not to mention after you factor in the sales of 2 dvd's instead of just one. (And selling tv rights for 2 movies, instead of just 1, etc.)

But still, it's interesting to think about what the numbers might actually be if they had done things differently.

Why would the budget be so dramatically higher for a single movie?

• Like 1

I'm kinda scared to ask why.

Well...

There weren't onions in my pocket. That was an excuse/lie. I was just misty eyed because it reminded me of a feeling I hadn't had since 1997. It was my b-day back in 1997, and I requested to see Batman and Robin.

It's not a good feeling

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2