Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

That part.

I have nothing to do with Lionsgate so what does it matter if they're swimming in cash? I'm not gonna pretend that 125m is a good number in 2014 when it's just not.

Right.  You can pretend or not pretend all you want.  Doesn't change the fact that 125 mill is an enormous amount of money.  It doesn't become less money because Lab276 thinks it's a bad number.

It's still like one of the Top 15-20 biggest openers ever (don't have the list in front of me). What a flop. :lol:

Its all relative.

CF is one of the biggest opening weekends ever even adjusted this falls way down once you adjusts things. 

125m is big.

MJ1 is gonna bring in a lot of money for Lionsgate.

Yes, its gross is still disappointing when compared to its predecessors. No need to spin that. But losing 20% of its audience on OW is not encouraging.

• Like 2

And how exactly does this matter?  It's not a dick measuring contest.  It's all about money and THG is allowing LG to swim in it.  Records and such are for nerds like us.  

To get big box office in a front loaded world records have to be broken usually ot near record breaking. 

Or either you have a run like Frozen. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Right.  You can pretend or not pretend all you want.  Doesn't change the fact that 125 mill is an enormous amount of money.  It doesn't become less money because Lab276 thinks it's a bad number.

It would have been an enormous sum of money for IS to make on OW, or any movie really, but not for the number one opener of the year. If that makes sense.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

125M for MJ1 is mediocre. This is like Pirates 3 OW. It was big but fell way below expectations and tracking. No way to spin that as anything but disappointing. Its like hobbit 1 OW as well. That was quite decent for december but disappointing considering most tracking had that over 100M and it was a franchise flick.

MJ1 should have at least opened to 140M considering how rabid the fan base is. The fact that previews dropped by 33% showed how disappointing it is.

It is a meh number when we look inside the franchise, and even when we take it out of it, it still continues to be meh. It is going to be below Breaking Dawn Part 1 and Deathly Hallows Part 1, and no movie in those franchises ever grossed 424M DOM. This one will probably end with 100M less than CF. It is crazy. Yes, it is still a huge moneymaker, but it is a disappointing opening anyway.

• Like 5

Actually 2006. Pirates was the only thing to beat Spidey' $114m at that point.

True but we all know ROTS and Spiderman 2 would easily demolished the record if they were 3 day openings. 

So? By that logic, almost everything today is unimpressive. Adjusting grosses always makes today's movies come off worse than previous films, but I don't see how that makes MJ1's # bad.

No everything this year has been a bit unimpressive, 2013 and 2012 had big openings and mega domestic hits. 

True but we all know ROTS and Spiderman 2 would easily demolished the record if they were 3 day openings. 

No everything this year has been a bit unimpressive, 2013 and 2012 had big openings and mega domestic hits. 

The year's been unimpressive; MJ1's gross hasn't. 125m for a film that a lot of people were going to skip because "nothing happens in it" is great.

Named my Dragon Age character as Cooper.

It was either that or Dr. Mann

Not getting my Xbone until Christmas, so I won't be getting Dragon Age til then.

In theory it gives me another month to try and get through the 360 backlog I have but I'm spending my free time playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter now that they've been re-released for modern PCs.

• Like 1

So? By that logic, almost everything today is unimpressive. Adjusting grosses always makes today's movies come off worse than previous films, but I don't see how that makes MJ1's # bad.

I'm not trying to make films today look unimpressive (box office wise), they're doing that all on their own.

• Like 1

The year's been unimpressive; MJ1's gross hasn't. 125m for a film that a lot of people were going to skip because "nothing happens in it" is great.

No no no

Compared to Twilight and DH1 this is a crazy drop. 

From a box office point of view and a financial point of view this is an underperformance.

One  needs to realize in the world of movies, yes this Movie will make money. However this movie is what we call a "sure thing" or a cash cow.

Due to the underperformance the cash flow from this movie will be lower then expected and therefore the studio will not make as much as expected and then their stock will suffer. 

Nevertheless, by splitting into two they will make a lot more money then one film but it appears the benefit from splitting it in two will not be as big as expected. 

It seems to me the general audience do not find the revolution storyline interesting at all compared to the games. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 5