Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But apart from Potter and Iron Man (that is the last Iron Man film for now anyway), these either were, or they pretending to be the last film in the series. So not really comparable to Mockingjay that has the last film coming next year.

That doesn't really disprove my case. Budgets may be bigger, but the movies are also making more money (and selling more tickets).

Budgets have gone up much faster than ticket price inflation through the years. Take a movie like Back to the Future. $19m budget in 1985. Studios would spend $150-200m on that kind of movie today.

What is saving the studios on their overspending is the aggressive expansion of overseas markets. Overseas money was a joke in the 80's.

• Like 1

Karate Kid on TV. Movies were so much better in the '80s.

You're the best around/Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.

Also, Elizabeth Shue is superhot. :wub:

I just rewatched that on Netflix recently.  A bunch of other 80's movies too.  

The best part about those movies were the fact that they just fucking ended.  Seriously, he wins that championship and the credits are rolling like a minute later.  

I miss that so much.

• Like 8

But apart from Potter and Iron Man (that is the last Iron Man film for now anyway), these either were, or they pretending to be the last film in the series. So not really comparable to Mockingjay that has the last film coming next year.

Yeah I know. It's stupid for Gitesh to say that. lol

We've already surpassed a few early-80s years in tickets sold. They may have had some really good movies, but the 80s were actually pretty shitty for the business in general.

This is true. But population was also smaller, and there were fewer theaters. Though this site has yearly per-capita ticket sales numbers: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/moviedata.html

2010 and 2012-13 had almost as low per-capita sales as 1986. 2011 was the worst since 1971 (the nadir of the 1968-71 Hollywood meltdown - the painful death of Old Hollywood and birth of New Hollywood)

Edited by TServo2049

I am more excited for the box office prospects of the movies that are not the 'BIG THREE' of 2015. TA: AOU, SW: TFA and THG: M II will all be huge and could be boring to follow. lol

I think it depends if they open big and thats it, it wont be that much fun.

However if they break record then it will be a blast. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

I am more excited for the box office prospects of the movies that are not the 'BIG THREE' of 2015. TA: AOU, SW: TFA and THG: M II will all be huge and could be boring to follow. lol

There is no way Avengers 2 would be boring to follow. Particularly on OS markets, and we'll want to know if it can beat Titanic in the US DOM :D

• Like 1

any year where night at the museum is the second biggest movie is a year I don't wanna talk about. And what were the other hits that year that weren't pirates 2? Da Vinci Code? Cars? Jiminy cricket..

Happy Feet made 200M in the US and Da Vinci made WW what GotG did, without years of inflation, 3D, IMAX or expanding markets.

• Like 1

I think as we have seen in 2014, with smaller brands already doing so well overseas.

It will be interesting to see the bigger brands like Avengers, Bond and SW will do overseas next year. 

I think like 2014 the real fireworks will be overseas. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

50 Shades of Grey will surprise I think, same thing about Cinderella.

50 Shades will be 220+

Cinderella will get at least 200, similar to Maleficent with any luck.

There is no way Avengers 2 would be boring to follow. Particularly on OS markets, and we'll want to know if it can beat Titanic in the US DOM :D

Doesn't have much of a chance of doing that. It should open higher than Avengers 1, but it can't repeat that 3x multiplier.

• Like 1