Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I remember a time not too long ago when Universal was in the shitter. They've really turned things around in recent years. Sony is the one that's kind of in the shitter now.

Sony is dead. Like, really, really dead.

They need to turn to their videogame franchises. Uncharted, inFamous, between others, can make massive amounts of money if well adapted. 

• Like 1

I remember a time not too long ago when Universal was in the shitter. They've really turned things around in recent years. Sony is the one that's kind of in the shitter now.

Yep, Sony is in a difficult situation, their slate is pretty poor, Paramount is in the same situation. All other four studios have franchises to sustain them.

• Like 1

Anyone have any idea where Interstellar could land up Domestically?

I'm thinking 170ish. I'm pretty happy with that number after thinking on opening night it would struggle to get even $130m. Its overseas performance is incredible though. Add in 3D and this thing would have potentially made $750-800m worldwide. Wonder how much pressure Nolan will be on the 3D front from studio executives next time.

• Like 2

IS is increasing on Thor 2s dailies. If it follows Thor 2 from this point, it ends with 163M. I think it will hold slightly better and get to 170M or so. 500M OS also seems likely.

650M WW total seems locked at this point. Nolan wins again. I am sure WB is ready to give him another 160M for him to do whatever he wants.

• Like 3

How come people can't realize terms like Floppingjay and Flopperstellar are just people joking around?

Some people just take things way too serious.

I think we could also use a good laugh once and a while.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

Yep, Sony is in a difficult situation, their slate is pretty poor, Paramount is in the same situation. All other four studios have franchises to sustain them.

Paramount has Transformers, GI Joe, Mission Impossible and TMNT. That seems very good to me. Plus, Paranormal Activity makes lot of money in a 5M budget and the new Friday the 13th should be a winner as well. Terminator will bomb, tho. 

• Like 1

Yep.  Adults today care way, way more about cable TV dramas than movies.  A decade ago, or two decades ago, or 3 decades ago, many people didn't even have cable TV.  Adults had to settle for 30 minute family sitcoms on TV with laugh-tracks (T.G.I.F. on ABC and others).  Now those 30 minute family sitcoms have moved to the Disney Channel.

A lot of the more adult shows have moved to cable but pre cable they existed on Network TV which is now dominated by sitcoms, news shows and reality TV.  Unless one only considers R rated material ad which is a very narrow viewpoint.

Also, two of the recent shows mentioned (24 and CSI) are network TV shows. 

Ten to Thirty years ago there was NYPD Blue, Homicide Life On The Streets, Hill Street Blues, ER, St Elsewhere, Chicago Hope and numerous procedural  shows,  etc,   The seventies had Rockford Files, Columbo and far more adult skewing comedies in All In The Family, Barney Miller, MASH etc.  There were as stated the popular adult night time soaps and many made for TV movies including the then high quality ones made by Hallmark Hall Of Fame. The 70s and 80s were also the era of regular high quality mini-series with Roots, The Holocaust, Centennial, SHOGUN etc.  The 50s and 60s had everything from I Love Lucy to The Twilight Zone to tons of Westerns and Detective shows to all the prestige live plays screened weekly. There's been PBS with Masterpiece Theater, Great Performances, Mystery etc for decades.  

So, adult skewing and quality TV isn't exactly a new phenomenon.  The shows are just spread out far more with cable and they have have on average a far smaller viewing audiences than popular shows of decades past.

The main difference is there's also now more choice with DVDs, Netflix, PPV etc.  The theatrical window is now so short people can just wait 3 months and see a movie and many people only go to the movies to see "event" movies and not the smaller adult dramas that used to be able to break out regardless of Oscar runs.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

If Disney won't top WB's 2009 next year I don't see any studio in the next few years doing it.

I will be shocked if they don't top it. Avengers 2, SW7, Cinderella, Inside Out, and The Good Dinosaur will make for a record yeah for sure.

• Like 1

I'm thinking 170ish. I'm pretty happy with that number after thinking on opening night it would struggle to get even $130m. Its overseas performance is incredible though. Add in 3D and this thing would have potentially made $750-800m worldwide. Wonder how much pressure Nolan will be on the 3D front from studio executives next time.

After Inception, Interstellar, and TDKR, he must've cost WB a crapload of change. From a studio perspective, I would force him to make his next work in 3D. But then again, the guy has WB by the balls right now.

After Inception, Interstellar, and TDKR, he must've cost WB a crapload of change. From a studio perspective, I would force him to make his next work in 3D. But then again, the guy has WB by the balls right now.

Why would WB do that? WB wants to have a good relationship with him. How many directors besides Cameron can make an original movie that grosses 600-800M WW? A studio simply doesn't want to screw something like that.