Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

So what could be the impact of the bad weather in the USA? Would be interesting, if there was a severe drop in the eastern states.

It wasn't just the eastern states that had a big drop. Tele did a pretty thorough show count in Los Angeles and it appeared to have a lot less demand there too despite similar show count.

• Like 2

I knew this was going to be smaller than CF. It's the whole "Part 1" effect. It happened to Potter, Twilight, and now HG. It will also happen to Avengers when the time comes, even if the circumstances are a bit different.

Still a great number, and should do at least $140-150 million OW.

Deathly Hallows 1 was up 8%, and Breaking Dawn 1 was on par with Eclipse. Mockingjay is down 32%.

• Like 3

I knew this was going to be smaller than CF. It's the whole "Part 1" effect. It happened to Potter, Twilight, and now HG. It will also happen to Avengers when the time comes, even if the circumstances are a bit different.

Actually, didn't really impact Twlight's Part 1's OW weekend much at all. Part 2 only opened about $3M higher the following year. And, the biggest OW for the series was less than $5M more than Breaking Dawn Part 1. It did hurt Potter. BUT, sans 3D, Deathly Hallows Part 2 likely opens to about $145M.

Actually, this a good question for Noctis, how much was DH2's 3D share? Any idea how much it would've opened to without 3D? Or, given its share, how much DH1 would've opened to with 3D?

• Like 1

Deathly Hallows 1 was up 8%, and Breaking Dawn 1 was on par with Eclipse. Mockingjay is down 32%.

I'm talking about the overall weekend, not just the midnights. MJ will probably gain more ground over the weekend. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking 140 will happen, but it is by no means a lock and it's probably not even the low end for the weekend. If it has the same multiplier over the weekend of the first movie, it will make $131m.

Anything better than $131m would be really good, but it's also possible it goes under that number when you look at the type of preview release between HG1 and HG3. One was at midnight with a much smaller theater/screen count while the other was 8 PM with a much bigger theater/screen count. Not saying it's a lock to happen, but the odds are pretty decent it actually has a worse multiplier over the weekend than HG1. That would give it something in the 120's.

• Like 1

I'm talking about the overall weekend, not just the midnights. MJ will probably gain more ground over the weekend. 

Sure, but those films did not drop on opening night, so it's not the same as this.

Holy shit at BOM saying if it follows CF from here on out it would do 106m for the weekend.  I don't see that happening, but if it did, that would be one of the most stunning drops in history.

Where does it say that?

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

But it's not comparable. The difference between HBP and DH1 was about 6M, where the difference between CF and MJ1 will likely be over 50M.

Well, the whole Potter series is a bit different. They range from 56 million tickets (SS) to 37 million tickets (DH1) and HBP is on the lower half of things.  

I think MJ will be more comparable to BD1 in terms of overall gross decreases but I included Potter because I don't think it is any coincidence that a "Part 1" is the lowest attended in the series.

• Like 1

Actually, didn't really impact Twlight's Part 1's OW weekend much at all. Part 2 only opened about $3M higher the following year. And, the biggest OW for the series was less than $5M more than Breaking Dawn Part 1. It did hurt Potter. BUT, sans 3D, Deathly Hallows Part 2 likely opens to about $145M.

Actually, this a good question for Noctis, how much was DH2's 3D share? Any idea how much it would've opened to without 3D? Or, given its share, how much DH1 would've opened to with 3D?

DH2's 3D share was 43%. A small percentage considering TF 3 had it at 60% a few weeks earlier. I think the OW would be in the 150M area without 3D. As for DH1 potential 3D bump, it would've likely carried it to 140M, give or take 1-2M..

Edited by James
  • Like 1

What you said still doesn't really apply to Twlight. And, the 3D really throws the final Potter OW out of whack. I mean, if the last Twilight is the only Twilight with 3D, how much does that OW go up?

• Like 1

Sure, but those films did not drop on opening night, so it's not the same as this.

Where does it say that?

"If Mockingjay follows Catching Fire's pattern from here, it will end the weekend with $106 million. That would be a stunning drop; for now, let's assume that fans simply decided to wait to see the movie on Friday or Saturday. Even with that assumption, though, this late night debut essentially rules out a $150 million weekend."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3963&p=.htm

• Like 2

What you said still doesn't really apply to Twlight. And, the 3D really throws the final Potter OW out of whack. I mean, if the last Twilight is the only Twilight with 3D, how much does that OW go up?

What? I don't think we're talking about exactly the same thing. I meant that MJ would be less frontloaded than those two and make up for lower preview numbers, not catch up numbers wise.

• Like 1