Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

Much better, thanks. Almost at two months clean. Things are looking up. Certainly better than where I was a month ago when I was a depressed lump on the floor.

I'm once ready for a little BO action.

blow.gif

• Like 4

Dug The Hunger Games a lot (Saw it twice theatrically), amazed at what a beat-for-beat retread Catching Fire was (and overpraised as Hell) save for a few scenes including that great cliff-hanger ending and frankly not in a rush to see Mockingjay Part I. Maaaaaybe home video.

It's funny, since I have the exact opposite opinion on THG and CF :P

Interesting note about IMAX and other Premium Large Format screens: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/11/21/what-to-watch-for-in-hunger-games-mockingjay-part-is-weekend-box-office/

It was only in the last year or so that the various weirdly-named offshoots (the AMC EXT, the Cinemark XD, Regal RPX, etc.) were cobbled together and referred to as “Premium Large Format” for the sake of cumulative comparisons for each weekend’s box office totals. As such, I can tell you this year that Transformers: Age of Extinction opened to $100 million and earned $10.7m of that in IMAX and $7m on the various PLF screens. That’s par for the course with big movies that go out in IMAX and on the various PLF screens. Godzilla earned 15.1% ($14.9m) of its $94m debut weekend on IMAX and also earned 9% on 347 PLF theaters this past May. What was interesting is that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes didn’t debut in IMAX and yet made only 8% of its $73m debut weekend in PLF screens.

One might speculate that a film being released in IMAX constitutes that it is the kind of film that is worth seeing on the biggest possible screen, which in turn boosts the PLF numbers too. Interstellar earned a stunning 26% of its $49m debut frame earlier this month but also earned 10% of that $49m figure in the various PLF formats. Although the October release of Sony’s Fury also went out sans IMAX and yet did a record-breaking 23% of its $23m debut in PLF theaters. Moreover, back in September, you had two not-so “big” movies (The Equalizer and The Maze Runner) which earned more of their opening weekend grosses in PLF (around 10%) than they did in IMAX (around 9% in each respective weekend).

I would still argue that the debut of those films in IMAX lent a certain credibility to the genre entries, as did the surprising IMAX release of John Wick last month. Will the fact that The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part I did not go out on IMAX will help the PLF formats by giving them “exclusive rights” to project Mockingjay part I on the very biggest possible screens on which Mockingjay can be shown? Or will the lack of an IMAX version make audiences think twice about seeing the third Hunger Games movie in a large-format at all?

• Like 1

Speaking as a non-fan who only saw the first one on iTunes, the ads for this were fairly lackluster. Compared to Catching Fire, they were downright dull.

I really did not like the short white-background propaganda-like teasers that came out back in the summer. Thought they were awful.

• Like 1