CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

Um, it followed CF's OW holds nearly to a fault, except for a slightly larger Sunday drop. So again, enlighten me on these facts that WOM is so clearly worse. That remains to be seen.

Usually, the weekend number is done without including the midnights because of obvious reasons. Without midnights, it followed Potter.

What went wrong? I don't know. Marketing sucked, but really, I don't see how a film drops $37M OW from the previous film. CF had good WOM and lots of people loved it, so it is shocking that MJ1 dropped this much. And, I don't think WOM would take effect this rapidly for MJ1 to cause such a decrease. Actually, I don't really buy the whole MJ1 WOM argument just yet. I have not heard anyone in real life say any bad things about it.

• Like 4

1st Sat holds:

CF: -25.8%

MJ1: -25.8%

1st Sun holds:

CF: -34.4%

MJ1: -36.8%

Yep, clearly we can prove the WOM is already horrid compared to CF.

Without midnights 

1st Sat holds:

CF: +15.1%

MJ1: +7.3%

• Like 1

What went wrong? I don't know. Marketing sucked, but really, I don't see how a film drops $37M OW from the previous film. CF had good WOM and lots of people loved it, so it is shocking that MJ1 dropped this much. And, I don't think WOM would take effect this rapidly for MJ1 to cause such a decrease. Actually, I don't really buy the whole MJ1 WOM argument just yet. I have not heard anyone in real life say any bad things about it.

Exactly. IF (and I do say if) this has a better multi than the first two that will 100% confirm to me the utter lack of any marketing was at fault for such a massive OW drop. If it has a shitty multi, then I honestly have no explanation for its performance.

just not hearing bad things about it isn't enough to prevent a sub 60% drop. 

I've heard a lot of people in real life say "nothing happened. "

just not hearing bad things about it isn't enough to prevent a sub 60% drop. 

That makes no sense right now. CF dropped 53% releasing the same time of year and making nearly 40m more on OW (and dealing with a certain other box office juggernaut I might add). WOM will truly need to be toxic for it to fall 60%+ next weekend.

Edited by MovieMan89

That makes no sense right now. CF dropped 53% releasing the same time of year and making nearly 40m more on OW (and dealing with a certain other box office juggernaut I might add). WOM will truly need to be toxic for it to fall 60%+ next weekend.

again there are many reasons why it won't hold as well as  CF. Making 40m more has nothing to do with how it will drop 

Edited by John Marston