A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

That is sad for someone who calls himself a writer. lol

I've never attacked any DW employees here.

Shay just has problems admitting that his Great God Katzenbach has screwed up so badly with Dreamworks.

And Katzenberg is not a employee.he runs the freaking company..and has ran it right into the ground.

Frankly, I don't think Dreaworks is going to survive as an independent company ;the Red Ink is just too deep. Even if KFP3 is a huge hit it alone won't be enough to pull Dreamworks out of it's talespin. It might make it more attractive to buyers ,though.

And Katzenbach tried to sell Dreamworks but made too many demands and asked too high a price. But he will have no choice,eventually.

• Like 1

Well, they ain't gonna lose it with KFP3, this time.

BUt almost all the profits they make from KFP3 will go to servicing the huge debt load that Dreamworks has got. Very little will get to the stockholders. It's the debt load that IMHO Is going to  kill Dreamworks as an indepedent studio.

BUt almost all the profits they make from KFP3 will go to servicing the huge debt load that Dreamworks has got. Very little will get to the stockholders. It's the debt load that IMHO Is going to  kill Dreamworks as an indepedent studio.

Well, here's the problem. It's your opinion...not a fact.

giphy.gif

You're just saying that because DW has nowhere to go. You're delusional. Just because DW has failed with some of their last films, box-office-wise.....does not mean that they will give up easily. If KFP3 overperforms WW, they'll be back on track with films like Croods 2 & HTTYD3.

57106013.jpg

Shay just has problems admitting that his Great God Katzenbach has screwed up so badly with Dreamworks.

And Katzenberg is not a employee.he runs the freaking company..and has ran it right into the ground.

Frankly, I don't think Dreaworks is going to survive as an independent company ;the Red Ink is just too deep. Even if KFP3 is a huge hit it alone won't be enough to pull Dreamworks out of it's talespin. It might make it more attractive to buyers ,though.

And Katzenbach tried to sell Dreamworks but made too many demands and asked too high a price. But he will have no choice,eventually.

Um....isn't this the exact similar response you did earlier?

"Then explain why Dreamworks stock i in trouble,no one wants to buy it,and they justhad big layoffs,and have cancelled or put on hold most of their scheduled films?

Home was a sucess,but not the huge sucess that Dreamworks needed. ANd even if KFP3 is a huge hit, it won't be enough to pull Dreamworks out of it's deep troubles.Their schudule after KFP3 does not look that promising.

IMHO Dreamworks is not going to survive as a indepdent studio. It is going to bought by somebody simply because Katzenbach will have no choice. And he knows that when he sells,his days as the head of DWA are numbered."

Let's be honest, you want Katzenberg to fail....not want him to succeed. We have to blame ourselves for not watching their movies enough to be big hits and help DW.

Um....isn't this the exact similar response you did earlier?

"Then explain why Dreamworks stock i in trouble,no one wants to buy it,and they justhad big layoffs,and have cancelled or put on hold most of their scheduled films?

Home was a sucess,but not the huge sucess that Dreamworks needed. ANd even if KFP3 is a huge hit, it won't be enough to pull Dreamworks out of it's deep troubles.Their schudule after KFP3 does not look that promising.

IMHO Dreamworks is not going to survive as a indepdent studio. It is going to bought by somebody simply because Katzenbach will have no choice. And he knows that when he sells,his days as the head of DWA are numbered."

Let's be honest, you want Katzenberg to fail....not want him to succeed. We have to blame ourselves for not watching their movies enough to be big hits and help DW.

SO we should go see crappy movies just to support a studio????????

If DW makes movies I want to see..like the Dragon movies, I will gladly pay to see them. If they movies that look crappy,I won't waste my money.

But you demonstrate why I don't have much respect for Fanboys anymore.

Edited by dudalb

SO we should go see crappy movies just to support a studio????????

If DW makes movies I want to see..like the Dragon movies, I will gladly pay to see them. If they movies that look crappy,I won't waste my money.

But you demonstrate why I don't have much respect for Fanboys anymore.

Hey...What if they don't end up crappy? What if they are surprisingly good? You can't underestimate what DW offers to the table.

You're just being a Pixarnite-Fanboy. Nothing against Pixar, cause I love that studio and their movies as well.....but we can't act like we only worship Pixar and Pixar only.

You're just judging them way too much by their title-names..than their potentials.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

The problem is that Dreamworks' initial ... 'thing', was to present itself as an edgy alternative to Disney. The problem is, history has already shown that only works for so long (think WB, MGM, Hanna Barbera, Spielberg). There needs to be a long-term vision. And that is something they never had.

And now with Disney back in the saddle, it's going to become increasingly difficult for Dreamworks to make a comeback. Especially because their brand of animation has worn off its novelty and copycats are all around. They've entered a serious identity crisis. Either they overcome it, or they will go down. Brand recognition is already fading. And fast.

Meanwhile, Disney and Pixar grow stronger. It's not all that surprising that no one wants to touch Dreamworks stock. Even when they have a small rebound with something like Home, there's still no long term strategy or vision for the studio.

• Like 3

Only in US - and after 5 years of hiatus and disappointments...

Brave, Cars 2, and Monsters University may have been critical disappointments, but they were still financially successful. Truth!

Edited by FancyArcher

Brave, Cars, and Monsters University may have been critical disappointments, but they were still financially successful. Truth!

I think you mean Cars 2....

I think these three films were a big step down from Pixar at it's height....in fact, Cars 2, is the only Pixar film I would out and out call a bad film...But all three made money. Brave made a modest profit, Cars 2 did only OK at the box office, but the merchandise from the film sold like crazy and Dinsey made more from the merchandise then from the film itself...and MU was a pretty big hit, but did get overshadowered by Despicible Me 2.

And Pixar has just had massive sucess at all  levels with Inside Out.

Look, I don't hate Dreamworks. I thought the first two Shrek films were fun,and I really liked both of Dragons films, but I never cared for Kung Fu Panda (too much by the numbers for me,) and less said about some of their other efforts the better.

But you have to in denial to deny that Dreamworks is in deep,deep trouble,and a couple of hit films will not be enought to pull them out of it.

Only in US - and after 5 years of hiatus and disappointments...

And Pixar never had to cancel films already in production because of cash flow problems the way Dreamworks has. ANd Disney has not tried to sell Pixar the way Katzenberg has Dreamworks.

The problem is that Dreamworks' initial ... 'thing', was to present itself as an edgy alternative to Disney. The problem is, history has already shown that only works for so long (think WB, MGM, Hanna Barbera, Spielberg). There needs to be a long-term vision. And that is something they never had.

In my perception, Disney is for girls, Pixar is for inanimate objects, while Dreamworks is for boys. Illumination and Blue Sky are interchangeable, they targeted animals.  :lol: