grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

So how did the preview go, they like it?

Just read the last 8 pages, looks like it's a big spectacle movie that I thought it would be. Although I'll probably understand most references it's not exactly what I'm going for... I just want to enjoy the spectacle not sit there going "oh ye! i remember X", "wow is that Y"... etc

So yeah this looks promising.

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

To be fair, my biggest criticism of avatar was that it was just a "good" film that knocked a truly great one out of the #1 spot WW

I was just generalising, that's a fair criticism I prefer Titanic aswell (it's not just "good" tho lol)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

giphy.gif

And yeah, not the thread for this.

*YOINK*

Have I told you how much I love that gif, BTW?  There's just something about it that cracks me up every time I see it. :D

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

*YOINK*

Have I told you how much I love that gif, BTW.  There's just something about it that cracks me up every time I see it. :D

I can make gifs like that, is this how you obtain ultimate power on BOT?

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I can make gifs like that, is this how you obtain ultimate power on BOT?

BOT ultimate power is fueled by unobtanium, from what I understand. :ph34r:

At least it's not attainable by us mere mortals. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

I speculated Tintin like reviews. Maybe better, maybe worse (?), hard to tell considering the crowd angle. Either way, I'll probably check it out.

I always laugh when I see people saying Spielberg should do a comic book movie sometime considering he's already done it, and did a good job from what I remember of it. 

Reactions sound pretty much around what I thought they would: fun spectacle, shit ton of pop culture references, decent story w/o a whole lot of character development or structure. Nothing really surprising about any of that. My concern is whether or not the so-called decent story is actually a story w/the pop culture references serving as a background or a trampoline, or if they ARE the story like in the book.

Also, whoever said that the big Walt's company doesn't get shit on for cashing in on nostalgia.... nnnnnnnnnot true. Don't know if you're aware, but a ton of people don't like their cash-grab remakes (BATB being the climax of their greediness afaic), or their new Star Wars stuff (hell, The Force Awakens' biggest complaint was that it was too much like the original).

4 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

I was in Hall H when they premiered the Kick-Ass footage.  One of the only times in ten years I've seen that room give a standing ovation for a non-Star Wars or Marvel celeb entrance, and only time for footage.  The hype was crazy hot off SDCC and it opened to 19M.  Scott Pilgrim vs the World was wonderful, hella geeky, and only opened to 10M.  I'm glad that the fanboys are hyped, but let's remember they premiered it to its target audience.

Yeah, it totally is the even dorkier younger bro of Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim. Spielberg's name may give it an edge over the other two when it comes to cross-over appeal, but really doubt it would be by much. 

Edited by Spidey Freak

20 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah, it totally is the even dorkier younger bro of Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim. Spielberg's name may give it an edge over the other two when it comes to cross-over appeal, but really doubt it would be by much. 

It’s amazing how big those two films were for a coffee break in nerd circles but they didn’t leave much of an imprint.