grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I don't think anyone who has dismissed the source material as silly fluff and/or even got angry about the nostalgic elements of it will really enjoy any of this from what I'm reading. They might as well stay home and save some money.

It's pretty easy to hate and/or dismiss it if you are already leaning that way.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Jaws

2. Raiders

3. AI

4. Duel

5. Close Encounters

6. Schindler's List

7. Catch Me If You Can

8. Jurassic Park

9. Temple of Doom

10. The Last Crusade

11. The BFG

12. Bridge of Spies

13. Munich

14. Lincoln

15. Minority Report

16. The Sugarland Express

17. E.T.

18. Saving Private Ryan

19. The Terminal

20. War of the Worlds

21. The Adventures of Tintin

22. The Lost World

23. Crystal Skull

24. Hook

The first 3 I would say are masterpieces, the first 16 are films that I would gladly revisit. Myself surprised at how high Duel is, but when it comes down to it there's really nothing about it I don't like. His leanest and meanest. 

• Like 3

1.Raiders of the Lost Ark

2.Jaws

3.E.T.

4.Close Encounters

5.Artificial Intelligence

6.Jurassic Park

7.Temple of Doom

8.Catch me If you Can

9.Schindler's List

10.The Last Crusade

11.Minority Report

12.Saving Private Ryan

13.Munich

14.Duel

15.Lincoln

16.War of the Worlds

17.Empire of the Sun

18.The Sugarland Express

19.The Adventures of Tintin

20.Bridge of Spies

21.The Color Purple

22.The Terminal

23.The Lost World

25.Hook

26.War Horse

27.Kingdom of Crystal Skull

28.The BFG

29.Always

30.Amistad

The top20 are all good movies. Pretty great track record, even though I've falling out of love with him for a decade now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

I'd dump a ranking on you all but it's been so long since I've watched some of the Berg's that I don't feel particularly good about where I'm positioning these things.

JP number one tho.

Changed my mind.

1. Jurassic Park
  2. Raiders
  3. Jaws
  4. Bridge of Spies
  5. Schindler's List
  6. Last Crusade
  7. Temple of Doom
  8. Catch Me If You Can
  9. War of the Worlds
  10. Saving Ryan's Privates
  11. Lincoln
  12. Close Encounters
  13. E.T
  14. Minority Report
  15. Empire of the Sun
  16. The Terminal
  17. The Post
  18. The Lost World
  19. Crystal Skull
  20. Tintin
  21. Munich
  22. BFG
  23. War Horse
  24. Hook

Really need to get through the rest. AI in particular looks like it is way up my alley. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

From a pure virtuositic standpoint, Saving Private Ryan leaves me in awe, the last act is just incredible from start to finish, you are never lost, everything is just perfect.

That is my favorite Spielberg film as well.

31 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Changed my mind.

1. Jurassic Park
  2. Raiders
  3. Jaws
  4. Bridge of Spies
  5. Schindler's List
  6. Last Crusade
  7. Temple of Doom
  8. Catch Me If You Can
  9. War of the Worlds
  10. Saving Ryan's Privates
  11. Lincoln
  12. Close Encounters
  13. E.T
  14. Minority Report
  15. Empire of the Sun
  16. The Terminal
  17. The Post
  18. The Lost World
  19. Crystal Skull
  20. Tintin
  21. Munich
  22. BFG
  23. War Horse
  24. Hook

Really need to get through the rest. AI in particular looks like it is way up my alley. 

Sugarland Express is pretty solid too. (AI is really good from what I remember of it.)

Lists are lists and all subjective of course, but why Indy IV over Tintin?

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

Sugarland Express is pretty solid too. (AI is really good from what I remember of it.)

Lists are lists and all subjective of course, but why Indy IV over Tintin?

I haven't watched either for a while but Indy 4 is a lot of fun and I've always had a soft spot for the series. They're pretty close though; both solid B's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I haven't watched either for a while but Indy 4 is a lot of fun and I've always had a soft spot for the series. They're pretty close though; both solid 7's. 

Fair enough. I guess TINTIN gets the edge for me because (1) that motorcycle chase setpiece and (2) it doesn't feel like it got rewritten by committee compromise between the Triad (Lucas/Spielberg/Ford) and everybody "won" but ultimately the film loses as a result. Not a terrible film, but a step back from the initial 3 films (2 steps back arguably from RAIDERS.)

• Like 1

So I guess it doesn't suck? Seems they had enough faith in it to premiere it at SXSW and it's at a 74% on RT.

Still really looking forward to it despite the stupid posters. Just glad to hear it has the classic Spielberg touch. I knew it was wrong to write it off like so many here seemed to be doing a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll end up hating it but I doubt it. I think it will be fun.

So far been right on with my predictions on which blockbuster will be good or not this year. I knew Wrinkle In Time would suck and Tomb Raider doesn't look to be fairing any better. And doubt Pacific Rim gets good reviews.

This will probably be the first time I head to the theater since Annihilation and I hope it continues that good run.

3 hours ago, The Mad Panda said:

Gold tier Spielberg: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler’s List, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Jaws, Close Encounters, The Last Crusade

Silver tier Spielberg: Lincoln,

The Post, Catch me if you can, The Color Purple, ET, Empire of the Sun, Minority Report, Bridge of Spies, The Sugarland Express, Temple of Doom

Bronze tier Spielberg: AI, The BFG, Duel, Munich, War Horse, Tintin, War of the Worlds, 1941

Also Ran Spielberg: Hook, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Amistad, The Lost World, The Terminal, Always, Twilight Zone: The Movie

When you read up Spielberg on TZTM, he shot his segment *after* the death of Morrow and those kids on Landis' segment. Apparently he originally was supposed to adapt "The Monsters Are Due on Maple St." which (1) would've fit his sandbox in that era and (2) actually adapted a segment for that movie from an episode that Rod Serling actually penned. I like to think he would've crushed it. 

But once those people died and the resulting scandal erupted which ultimately led to lawsuits and folks like Landis going to trial, Spielberg unsurprisingly lost his enthusiasm to do TZ. Alas he was still contractually obligated to do a segment so he picked "Kick the Can" as a replacement and basically rushed through filming it ASAP, doing very few takes apparently. (Which explains to a point why that segment just blows.) In fact also from the same book (OUTRAGEOUS CONDUCT by Stephen Farber, sadly OOP), he was more worried about wrapping up shooting so he can go off to the UK for the E.T. premiere there that the Royals were attending.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HerediTele said:

I'm a tiny bit sad the Berg feels he needs the reassurance of fans. 

He shouldn't but the guys been invested in video games for so long now and this is the first film that he's made that is this style again in ages. I'm sure he's happy to hear that he's still got it.

• Like 1

Just now, somebody85 said:

He shouldn't but the guys been invested in video games for so long now and this is the first film that he's made that is this style again in ages. I'm sure he's happy to hear that he's still got it.

He sure as hell doesn't need to hear it from us.

• Like 1

Just now, HerediTele said:

I agree with you but sometimes even legends doubt their ability. I think he could walk off into the sunset and he would still be every bit as iconic. Regardless of how this turns out, I'm just happy it exists. The world needs another Spielberg movie that feels like "Classic Spielberg". And I hope that ends up being true. From the behind the scenes I caught that vibe though.

1 minute ago, HerediTele said:

he actually calls me whenever he's got a new movie out. when i saw the post he rang up and i had to say "you didn't nail it this time steve" and he was distraught. after that the oscar nomination was meaningless he told me. he was embarrassed by it.

• Haha 5