Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

I must be the only Alien fan that don't give a shit how events are now supposed to tie into Alien. And don't sweat it Prometheus ending was definetely supposed to tie into Alien (the Space Jockey crashing the Derelict exactly in the same position as discovered in Alien) before Scott changed his mind at last minute for contrived coincidences coming from Lindelof's cheeseholed mind.

If those pre-Alien events were worth a movie Scott would have told this story back in 1979. Period.

It's just the prequel-ling fad to explain everything that happened before a classic movie ruining every single mystery that are part of that movie's appeal in the first place.

What's next? Jaws prequel explaining the origins of the shark?

I agree. Don't like it either when Hollywood spoon-feeds the audience and demystifies shit. Like Darth Vader was the coolest cat in the universe until he took off his mask. So I wouldn't mind if the Space Jockey backstory only existed in people's imaginations. But if they're gonna do it I hope they only reveal a few layers and keep most of the mystery intact, and don't go full "The Architect" on us.

Btw, I would've loved to find out how Bruce the shark came to be so vengeful. Normal sharks don't usually exhibit that kind of hostility towards humans.

• Like 1

According to Spaiht's the decision to de-Alien Prometheus came from the studio

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563

I'm hoping that whatever Scott does next with the series that he doesn't fall over himself in an attempt to drive the series into the beginning of Alien. It's only going to mean writers will fall over themselves to reconcile completely separate plot threads and ideas. I want to see some new Giger-esque monstrosities and landscapes belonging to this universe now that the series has been opened up to a larger sci-fi canvas. 

Scott wanted to move away from the Alien as well.  His words are "its completely worn out"(I agree with that after 3, 4, and 2 franchise diminishing cash grab AVP films).  Unlike a lot of fans, I liked how very little Prometheus cared about being a prequel to Alien without a Ripley ripoff in it instead of being an inferior rehash of ALIEN and/or ALIENS.  There was no point in trying to outdo the horror in ALIEN or the action of ALIENS with the same monster again without it feeling like just a retread.  What can you do with the Xenomorphs better than whats already been done in the first 2 movies?  There was a recent report that the sequel was gonna be more "Alien-y", hopefully that just means its gonna be darker at where ever they are going and not filled with Xenomorphs because this franchise has the potential to evolve into something really great with the ambiguous doors Prometheus left open.  If they try to make another Alien movie with this sequel to try and please disgruntled fans, it deserves to crash and burn, because it definitely will if they do that(at least with the critics).

If they try to make another Alien movie with this sequel to try and please disgruntled fans, it deserves to crash and burn, because it definitely will if they do that(at least with the critics).

The alien at the end of Prometheus doesn't bode well.

This whole Alien universe and story fill me with wonder and piss me off to no end. 

Some of the ideas - and their execution - are writing and cinematic genius.

Then some of it is so terrible that I want to scream (not in a good way).

I can't wait for Prometheus 2.  But I'm sure I'll hate some of it!  :P

Ridley Scott shooting Prometheus 2 in Australia?

He's one of the greatest living filmmakers and it seems Sir Ridley Scott has his sights set on Australia to film his next science-fiction blockbuster.

The 76-year-old director flew into Sydney on Wednesday morning and is said to be scouting film locations for his next project: Prometheus 2. 

Scott was seen taking a VIP tour of the Fox Studios lot in Sydney on that same day, with the Australian industry abuzz about the project. 

'It's the best kept secret at the moment, that Ridley is here to film the Prometheus sequel,' an insider told the MailOnline. 

'Staff have been pulled off productions on the Gold Coast and Melbourne to take meetings about it. 
'The news couldn't come at a better time, with Gods Of Egypt and San Andreas wrapping soon people were looking for the next project.'

The source said he and several other well-placed professionals only became aware of the project when Scott touched ground at Sydney airport on Wednesday, with pre-production remaining tight-lipped.

It's the daily mail so who really knows? Could easily be The Martian but I'll remain hopeful until we get official word. At the moment it looks like Ridley Scott could be directing Prometheus 2 after all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2636101/Sir-Ridley-Scott-Australia-scouting-locations-Prometheus-2.html

Australian Telegraph are reporting that he's scouting for The Martian.

I thought as much. The Australian outback could provide some ready-made Mars-like landscapes. 

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/ridley-scott-is-in-australia-scouting-locations-for-a-martian-blockbuster-featuring-matt-damon/story-fni0cvc9-1226927300254

isn't that just a still from Prometheus?

Yes, but it's not uncommon for early promotional materials (especially those aimed at industry people) to use previous stills/footage if principle photography isn't underway. That being said, it could totally be fan art. I thought I saw it originally in the context of some official news, but I can't remember the article or source right now.
  • Like 2

Yes, but it's not uncommon for early promotional materials (especially those aimed at industry people) to use previous stills/footage if principle photography isn't underway.That being said, it could totally be fan art. I thought I saw it originally in the context of some official news, but I can't remember the article or source right now.

I really recognise it, I think it was in one of the deleted scenes.