grim22

AMC and Moviepass piloting monthly pass program. Pilot in Boston and Denver. 35$ for 2D, 45$ for IMAX and 3D. Watch a movie a day.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article4512995.html

A major movie theater chain is trying to step onto the subscription gravy train as it seeks to reverse attendance declines, especially among young moviegoers. Leawood-based AMC Theaters, the No. 2 chain in North America behind Regal Entertainment, has agreed to a pilot partnership with MoviePass, a three-year-old company focused on letting people attend a movie a day for one monthly fee.

In January, AMC theaters in Boston and Denver will begin working in concert with MoviePass to offer monthly subscription packages for $45 and $35. More cities will be added.

For the past two years or so, MoviePass has been using yet another multistep method. People who sign up now receive a membership card that functions like a debit card. When members want to see a movie, they use a MoviePass smartphone app to check in at the theater. The app instantly transfers money - the price of a ticket - to the membership card. Members in turn use the card to pay for entry. Monthly membership costs $30 to $35, depending on location. That price covers one movie a day in a standard format.

The pilot partnership with AMC will allow MoviePass members an option, for $45 a month, to see films in any format, including Imax and 3-D.

• Like 3

More details

The average AMC theater ticket costs a little less than $9.50. The pilot program will launch in nine theaters in Boston and 10 theaters in Denver. It will expand to other markets based on user interest.

The AMC version of MoviePass will be available as an App.

Ugh I wish I lived somewhere where there was an AMC theatre that wasn't 4 hours away (ugh; border crossings etc). I already spend about 50 dollars a month at the movies, and I still don't see everything I want to because of money. This would be the best "subscription" I could ever ask for.

Orrrrr...we could lower ticket prices and not put everything on Itunes movies like 2 months later? This is a out-of-the-box idea, but I don't know anyone who sees this many movies, nor has enough time to see enough movies to use this. Especially all my college friends. $35 may be too much. I mean, we're college kids, we're already poor.

How? thats 5/6 movies a month. Its not designed for someone who goes to 2 movies a month. 

For working families with kids in school its hard to get to the movies outside of the weekends.

We do  see 5/6 movies a month when there are a lot of options but we do it by doing a double-header  ( I pay for both) or seeing one Sat night and one Sun morning.

Neither of those are options under the current MoviePass.

We also see movies we like multiple times and I'm not sure this is allowed.  I also receive 10% off through AMC stubs and I'm sure this does not count towards that.

While I love the idea of a movie 'season pass' this program is a little too niche right now.

• Like 3

How? thats 5/6 movies a month. Its not designed for someone who goes to 2 movies a month. 

Yeah. Unless you're seeing a matinee, my AMC's are nearing $11 for standard 2d tickets. I think the weekday matinees are like $7.50 or something. At $11 I'd only have to see 3 movies to get my money back on the standard pass. 4-5 at the matinee price. For me that's totally worth it. This year for example I've seen 66 of the top 100 grossers in the theater, and that's not counting any repeats, holdovers from last year I saw this year, or smaller indies not in the top 100. So I've probably already hit 100+ times at the theater this year, and I definitely wouldn't call that unusual for me. You could then say that average out to 8 or 9 movies a month for me, so yeah for those of us (insane :ph34r: ) movie buffs like that it's a total steal.

• Like 2

Yeah. Unless you're seeing a matinee, my AMC's are nearing $11 for standard 2d tickets. I think the weekday matinees are like $7.50 or something. At $11 I'd only have to see 3 movies to get my money back on the standard pass. 4-5 at the matinee price. For me that's totally worth it. This year for example I've seen 66 of the top 100 grossers in the theater, and that's not counting any repeats, holdovers from last year I saw this year, or smaller indies not in the top 100. So I've probably already hit 100+ times at the theater this year, and I definitely wouldn't call that unusual for me. You could then say that average out to 8 or 9 movies a month for me, so yeah for those of us (insane :ph34r: ) movie buffs like that it's a total steal.

Oh yeah its a steal, Id go to the theater 100x a year forsure then.