grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

MJ1 wouldn't even make my top 50. I am dumbfounded people actually put it #1.

Futurist probably hacked the system and created multiple accounts just to ensure it would make the top 10. 

Edit: Dammit! Grim fooled us really bad!

Edited by Fancyarcher

Well, you know how people put a fake movie at #1, and now everyone has caught on to that.  :ph34r:

I decided to put a fake, but plausible, movie at #4.  :P  :P

The real top 4 coming right up.

Oh thank merciful fuck.

• Like 1

Well, you know how people put a fake movie at #1, and now everyone has caught on to that.  :ph34r:

:rofl:

Glad it didn't actually make the list.

I've gotta hand it to you Grim, you actually fooled us all there for a second. 

Hallelujah though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

(The real) Number 4

Whiplash – 194 points, appears on 20 lists, #1 on 4 lists

wkMsqt1.png

YNOmqvv.png

This was an amazing movie with some great performances. Making a jazz circle movie so intense is an accomplishment for sure. JK Simmons and Miles Teller both give great performances and the ending is a showcase for both of them. Easy to see why Simmons is the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actor this year.

FPQPHpx.gif

Boxoffice: 7.6M Domestic / 8.5M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

Fucking loved it.  I didn't think Teller was a jerk at all.  He was driven and literally gave blood sweat and tears to get what he wanted.  I don't think he will be nominated this year but he gives one of the best physical performances in a film I've ever seen.  He owns this character and as Gittes mentioned, the ending drained me but it also made me cheer. 

Simmons is awesome and just when you think the script is going to go the way most scripts would, they literally say fuck you and go the complete different direction.  That's what makes the film so satisfying.  I absolutely love this film and it will make my top ten of the year, maybe even top five.

9.5/10” –  Baumer

Holy shit this was incredible. Simmons gives a terrifying supporting performance and teller shines as usual. That ending was so tense. This is definitely in my top 3 for the year

A” – acsc1312

Saw this and I loved it! JK Simmons was really great, but Miles Teller was really good too.

Easily my favorite movie of last year. I would give it an.......

A+(99)” – Empire

• Like 16

(The real) Number 4

... I feel used...

wkMsqt1.png

YNOmqvv.png

http://youtu.be/zIP_gtjDtfE

This was an amazing movie with some great performances. Making a jazz circle movie so intense is an accomplishment for sure. JK Simmons and Miles Teller both give great performances and the ending is a showcase for both of them. Easy to see why Simmons is the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actor this year.

FPQPHpx.gif

BOF User Reviews:

Fucking loved it. I didn't think Teller was a jerk at all. He was driven and literally gave blood sweat and tears to get what he wanted. I don't think he will be nominated this year but he gives one of the best physical performances in a film I've ever seen. He owns this character and as Gittes mentioned, the ending drained me but it also made me cheer.

Simmons is awesome and just when you think the script is going to go the way most scripts would, they literally say fuck you and go the complete different direction. That's what makes the film so satisfying. I absolutely love this film and it will make my top ten of the year, maybe even top five.

9.5/10” – Baumer

Holy shit this was incredible. Simmons gives a terrifying supporting performance and teller shines as usual. That ending was so tense. This is definitely in my top 3 for the year

A” – acsc1312

Saw this and I loved it! JK Simmons was really great, but Miles Teller was really good too.

A+(99)” – Empire

(The real) Number 4

wkMsqt1.png

YNOmqvv.png

http://youtu.be/zIP_gtjDtfE

FPQPHpx.gif

BOF User Reviews:

Fucking loved it.  I didn't think Teller was a jerk at all.  He was driven and literally gave blood sweat and tears to get what he wanted.  I don't think he will be nominated this year but he gives one of the best physical performances in a film I've ever seen.  He owns this character and as Gittes mentioned, the ending drained me but it also made me cheer. 

Simmons is awesome and just when you think the script is going to go the way most scripts would, they literally say fuck you and go the complete different direction.  That's what makes the film so satisfying.  I absolutely love this film and it will make my top ten of the year, maybe even top five.

9.5/10” –  Baumer

A” – acsc1312

A+(99)” – Empire

967.gif

Yes! It was my #1!

• Like 1

Whiplash getting some love. Great job guys. I swear I would go on a Liam Neeson rampage and find every single one of you that voted for THG3 and kill you if it was really the number 4. Except Kelli. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 6

Ugh, Transcendence didn't even make the top? I think I had it on no 4. My Top 10 :P :

1. The Hobbit 3

2. Interstellar

3. Gone Girl

4. Transcendence

5. Transformers 4

6. The Maze Runner

7. Lucy

8. This Is Where I Leave You

9. Dracula Untold

10. I, Frankenstein

wow that's your top 10? oh my... (okay Gone Girl and Interstellar are amazing but)

Edited by Kalo

Number 5

X-Men: Days of Future Past – 192 points, appears on 26 lists, #2 on 4 lists

t00ie7B.png

0ADi3FF.png

Into the top five we go with this time travel saga involving mutants. Days of future past took a franchise which had never gone above 400M at the WW box office and took it to three-quarters of a Billion. Bryan Singer returned to the franchise he helped make famous and gave us a gripping character drama which just happened to involve superheroes. Fassbender and McAvoy were both on top-form and Hugh Jackman was good as always in the role he could probably now play in his sleep. This was a return to form for a franchise which had seemed like it was past its peak. It also gave us what may have been the best scene of the year.

Boxoffice: 233M Domestic / 748M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

X-Men: Days of Future Past. I have not enjoyed a super-hero movie as much as this since Christopher Nolans the Dark Knight. This movie shines in a number of aspects in particularly some amazing action scenes, stellar visual effects, solid acting and a serviceable story. This is a crowd pleaser and you do not have to have seen any of the previous X-Men movies to enjoy it, although it does help some references.This is definitely the best X-Men movie and one of the best blockbusters of recent memory.

A” –  eXtacy

easily an A from me. My complaints are small, and the film as a whole was really solid! Quicksilver was by far the best part of it all, and the film got a little slow after his departure. It picked back up though and was really entertaining! The visuals were great, the acting superb... one of the best X-Men films, if not one of the better superhero films made within the decade.” – Kalderic

The biggest concern that I had going into this movie was how would the huge ensemble work on the screen. There was nothing to worry about. Focus is given where it should be: on the A-team, while some characters like Sunspot or Bishop were there without much explanation (it wasn't needed anyway) and without taking away valuable screen-time. Singer once again showed how he can handle the big cast, give everyone something to do and turn them into an advantage rather than some of them being an anchor to the plot, something he has lost since X2.

Another thing I loved was the pacing. Opening with a cool action scene to get us to know the new characters, to show the plot devices and to show how they work as a team, all in the first 10 minutes. Then we shift to the past and everything is perfectly built up for the final battle, both in the future and the past. I love it when films can do this (many directors try but fail) and this was one of those rare movies that made me care equally about the slow, character scenes and the action which was fantastic.

All in all, I'd say this is the best X-Men movie and in the top 5 of all the comic book movies

10/10” – Darkelf

YES!!! X-Men made Top five!!  :D

Number 3

The Grand Budapest Hotel – 216 points, appears on 20 lists, #1 on 4 lists

quKkR4A.png

kewsnlK.png

Wes Anderson finally makes a movie which, while still having his own sensibilities, is also accessible to everyone, and it gives him his biggest hit ever and Oscar nominations. Grand Budapest, while being the story of Zero, is absolutely an ensemble piece. The setpieces are masterfully constructed, especially the prison escape part and the performances by both Anderson regulars and new actors are brilliant. This is probably the most “light” movie among the Oscar nominees and for that alone it deserves recognition. The colors are vivid throughout. The one liners are sharp as ever. This is a worthy top 3 movie.

tumblr_n6pqxfsWjC1qc123zo2_500.gif

tumblr_n6pqxfsWjC1qc123zo1_500.gif

Boxoffice: 59M Domestic / 174M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

So far the best movie of the year, and even if there's still over 250 films or so to watch this year, i guess this will be in my top 10 for sure.

Simply loved it, 100% Anderson, great performances, beautiful cinematography and incredibly funny.

Can't wait to see this again.

10/10” –  Mcclaine

I loved it, even if it felt at times very detached, putting style over story (in that respect, I liked "Moonrise Kingdom" a bit more).

The visuals are amazing, the interiors like elaborate jewel cases caught with macro lenses; the models; Wes Anderson's trademark pastels ... he's a unique voice in a business where many productions get streamlined and bland. And the cast is simply awesome!

One thing that really stands out is his use of screen ratio; with today's possibilities, that's solely a creative decision - and while many young filmmakers will go for the widest possible screen everyday just to give their productions a "grown-up" look, Anderson shows us how much creative potential is lost if you don't think about such basic decisions.” – IndustriousAngel

Jeff Goldblum is in this.

B+” – Jay

• Like 11