baumer

Baumer's top 50 films of 2014/Panda's top 20 of 2014 pg 8/Numbers pg 14

My top 4 films all could have been number one at one point in the year, with the exception of FIOS.  That was going to be my number one as soon as I bought it on DVD.  But Birdman absolutely shocked me.  I didn't think I was going to like it at all but it was such a hypnotic experience that it had to be top 5.  Wild, TIWILY and Whiplash were all terrific as well, but nothing affected me more than Fault this year.

• Like 3

Top 50 of the year:

1) The Fault in Our Stars

2) Wild

3) This is Where I Leave You

4) Birdman

5) Gone Girl

6) Whiplash

7) John Wick

8) Captain America Winter Soldier

9) The Captive

10) Nightcrawler

11) Heaven is For Real

12) Top Five

13) Chef

14) St. Vincent

15) Draft Day

16) Purge Anarchy

17) Pompeii

18) Unbroken

19) A Most Wanted Man

20) Bad Words

21) X-Men Days of Future Past

22) Into the Storm

23) The Other Woman

24) Blended

25) The Raid 2

26) The Imitation Game

27) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

28) 300 Rise of an Empire

29) Horrible Bosses 2

30) Divergent

31) The Amazing Spider-man 2 (tie)

31) The Grand Seduction (tie)

32) Endless Love

33) Edge of Tomorrow

34) Lucy

35) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

36) Equalizer

37) The Judge

38) Vampire Academy

39) If I Stay

40) Sex Tape

41) Brick Mansions

42) Ouija

43) A Walk Among the Tombstones

44) 3 Days to Kill

45) The Hobbit The Battle of Five Armies

46) A Million Ways to Die in the West

47) No Good Deed

48) Transformers Age of Extinction

49) Grand Budapest Hotel

50) Non Stop

• Like 6

Panda is the only one who has committed to do one.

Tele, do you want to do yours after him?  You could start tomorrow.

I want to do one, probably Just a top 25 though. right now I've only seen 34. but I can wait cause I still have a lot of movies I need to see. (I may get impatient and just put one out before I see everything though) 

Edited by KaloVisor
  • Like 2

I want to do one, probably Just a top 25 though. right now I've only seen 34. but I can wait cause I still have a lot of movies I need to see. (I may get impatient and just put one out before I see everything though) 

Give it time.  See a few more.

Great list overall Baumer! I'm really glad how much you love TFIOS, and I agree that Pompeii is horribly underrated. I haven't seen the Captive, John Wick or Whiplash but ill hopefully be checking them out ASAP.

• Like 1

I'm so fucking jealous of everyone who has the opportunity to see Whiplash. I've thought it looks fantastic since the first trailer but NOPE, NO ONE BY ME WILL PLAY IT

Same as me, I was desperate enough to even see if a screener has leaked yet and nope.

The Panda's Top 20 Films of 2014

screen-shot-2014-12-08-at-7-39-21-am.png

I finished my top ten worst of 2014 and so now it is time for me to deliver what are my top twenty films of 2014.  I was originally just going to do a top ten with five honorable mentions but there were to many films I felt like I was snubbing (even giving an honorable mention to), so I decided to give my twenty best with no honorable mentions.  These aren't necessarily the films I felt were the best made, although that does play a factor and in some cases they were, and they are my personal picks.  I'd also like to point out, because of either no theater playing near me or the film coming out at a time where I simply couldn't make it to the theater, I was unable to see WhiplashFoxcatcherSelmaAmerican SniperJohn Wick, Inherent Vice, or Nightcrawler.  There were many people who did see those that included them on their lists, maybe some of them would have made this list, maybe none of them would have, however I have not seen them so they will not be making an appearance here (although if I see them in time they may be able to make an appearance on my best of the half-decade if they're good enough).

Onto the films I did see, every film on my list really did earn their spot on here and none of the movies I am going to mention are on here because I had nothing else to put.  I saw a total of 75 movies this year and there were 35 of them that I gave a B- or higher to (a definitively positive rating from me.  I do like some of my Cs and C+s, but those were still more of a mixed like), however don't think that just because I gave one movie a higher grade than the other that it will necessarily be higher on the list, I did not take the grade I gave the movie into consideration when making this list.  So naturally, there will be a few of instances where a movie I gave say a B+ to ranks higher than a movie I gave an A or A- to.  

Enough of my jabbering nonsense though, time to start the list.

• Like 8