grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

1 hour ago, Tree Billboards said:

theres nothing wrong with a good old Hitler comparison. any argument/point should still be true when taken to the extreme. it is a fair comparison

Somehow, the whole "once you bring in Hitler, your argument is automatically invalid" fallacy stuck. :D 

Well....

I loved it! :lol:

Well I loved the musical numbers. I can see why it wasn’t nominated for any Oscars aside from music. It was quite cheesy in between songs, the script can be eye rolling and there’s some awful CGI. But the songs are so modern and the film is very fast paced, which I haven’t seen in a musical since Burlesque. 

4/5. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

How high could this go? If it manages $7-7.3 million this weekend and $6.3-6.7 million the following 3-day, $185 million+ DOM wouldn't be out of the question. 

$165 million DOM appears to almost be the floor. 

170-190 is my range. Shame it could get so close to 200 but probably still nearly impossible to make it. But with this movie who knows. Its Thu number is going to be nearly flat with last Thu, so if it stays flat this weekend and then has a very small drop for the holiday weekend next week, 200 might not be impossible after all. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

170-190 is my range. Shame it could get so close to 200 but probably still nearly impossible to make it. But with this movie who knows. Its Thu number is going to be nearly flat with last Thu, so if it stays flat this weekend and then has a very small drop for the holiday weekend next week, 200 might not be impossible after all. 

$7.5 million ($147.6 million)

$7.1 million/$8.5 million ($160.5 million)

$6.2 million ($168.7 million)

$5.3 million ($176.7 million)

$4.2 million ($183.5 million)

$3.3 million ($188.6 million)

$2.6 million ($192.8 million)

$1.9 million ($195.7 million)

$1.4 million ($198.0 million)

$1.0 million ($199.5 million)

$0.7 million ($200.5 million)

$0.5 million ($201.2 million)

$0.35 million ($201.7 million)

$203 million DOM 

I think $175-180 million DOM is the most likely scenario, though. To stay flat for two consecutive weeks and then keep up the sub-20% drops until end of March/beginning of April would be insane, considering it'll likely be in less than 2,000 theaters by Feb 16. However, its entire run has defied convention, moreso than Frozen IMO in terms of staying power. Frozen at least opened big, had a 50% 2nd weekend drop and had a few 25-30% drops before its crazy holding power kicked in. 

Greatest Showman just continues performing the way WOM hits of the 1980s and early 1990s did. Theater owners might just keep it until mid-to-late March since they make so much of a profit once a film gets this far into its run. 

On Friday, the NYT asked What’s So Great About ‘The Greatest Showman’? Over 300 comments so far.

Overseas:

Fox’s Hugh Jackman tuner has $167.7M in the overseas clown car after seven weeks. A great hold in the UK, saw The Greatest Showman drop just 13% from last frame during which it had captured the No. 1 spot after six weeks in release. With the soundtrack topping charts, and the film’s momentum continuing, the team is still getting out to promote the movie. Keala Settle appeared on Graham Norton’s couch in London on Friday night with a special video message sent in by Jackman. On his home turf Down Under, the $21.6M cume to date is now bigger than the lifetime of Les Misérables and is topping Mamma Mia! at the same stage in the run. The overall weekend was $8.7M on 10,504 screens in 40 markets. Japan is the last to step under the big top on Friday.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $146,535,870    46.6%
Foreign:  $167,712,696    53.4%

Worldwide:  $314,248,566  
  • Like 1

Spoiler

$4.5 million ($162 million) 

$3.75 million ($168 million) 

$3.25 million ($173 million) 

$2.5 million ($177 million) 

$2 million ($180 million) 

$1.5 million ($182 million) 

$1 million ($184 million)

$185-188 million DOM 

With the Blu-Ray moved to Apr 17, $170-175 million DOM isn't the ceiling anymore... wouldn't be shocked if Jumanji moves to 3/27, so Sony can get an extra week in the top 10. 

On 2/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, and the legs for both certainly reflect this. And yet some people here will still argue TLJ WOM wasn't poor. 

What it is. Is that the fanboys don’t want to be in the real world. If something gets trashed to their favorite franchises, they get in a ruckus. If people love it, fanboys jizz all over themselves.

The Greatest Showman is a film that GA seems to enjoy more, and has a lot more appeal than a 40 year old film franchise. 

Also Showman has came out at a great time especially since the circus that Barnum started was recently coming to an end in the past couple of years so it was great timing. 

Box office however is to me more amazing than TLJ to be perfectly honest. Because you went from what would be considered an underwhelming $8 million start in 3,000+ screens and would have grossed $60-$75 million if it was something else. But a final total of close to $170 million domestic if not more is awesome!