CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

It's not a surprise if it didn't win. They've already proved that in the past with Wreck-It Ralph's loss. The surprise is that despite the technical innovations and widely praised storytelling of LEGO, it didn't even get a nom. The freaking Boxtrolls got a nom over it

Yes, I realize Boxtrolls isn't really a surprise seeing how the Academy has a hard-on for stop-motion. That said, Big Hero 6. How does that get a nom over LEGO? It's the same thing; pop culture mashup (in this case superheroes) that is a genre they hate no matter how well it's made. The only difference is LEGO has much, much better animation, which is kinda what the animation branch is supposed to judge

Seth Rogen's a member of the Academy who should be joining the animation branch in a few years after SAUSAGE PARTY. Although, I guess that doesn't really matter.

Bird is a two time winner of the category though so it totally counts.

One person just means a single vote.

Really, why is it so hard to just accept that it didn't work out, for any number of reasons?

"Quality of animation", like so many artistic categories, is substantially subjective.

Maybe the studio didn't push the screeners hard enough. Maybe they didn't schedule enough special-event screenings. Maybe they thought they had the nomination in the bag and were saving the big money for the post-nomination campaign. Maybe enough people just didn't like it that much. If the Academy's roster is filled up with baumers and Teles, it wouldn't get in either, probably.

• Like 1

GOTG and DOFP are ok-ish. But why the hell did CA2 get a nom?! That is not even special effects heavy or memorable in any way from that POV. It's just stupid.

CA2 reportedly had more VFX shots than GOTG.  They're not as flashy except for the end helicarrier scene at the end but they're there in the entire creation of SHIELD and for the most part seamless and realistic. How VFX works with and enhances the film is also part of what the VFX group looks for. 

http://www.awn.com/vfxworld/how-do-we-judge-best

How do you judge artistic and creative production achievement in general when so much of the work is so spectacular? 

As Chris Edwards explained, it’s his impression that Motion Picture Academy members employ a wide range of criteria when voting in the animation and visual effects categories.  “I’ve heard that the VFX Branch of the Academy tends to vote for the most well-rounded use of special effects and visual effects techniques.  Many of the follow-up questions at the Bakeoff often focus around the clever use of practical special effects and integration with model miniatures.”  He went on to say, “However, my sense is that the larger Academy membership will not be as swayed by technique, and therefore judge the film at face value.  Were the effects incredible, and were they integral to the story the director was trying to tell?  These are the questions I suspect many voters will be wrestling with.”

In the article they also talk about what they look for in Animated films. :ph34r:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Honestly, it was a pretty strong year for animation. I haven't seen SotS/TotPK, but given my affinity for indie animation, i'll probably love them. The Boxtrolls didn't have a great story, but it's visually amazing, and I'll support LAIKA and whatever they do. 

It sucks that LEGO didn't get nominated, but Singin' in the Rain got, like, two tech nominations the year it came out.

Edited by Spaghetti

That said, Big Hero 6. How does that get a nom over LEGO? It's the same thing; pop culture mashup (in this case superheroes) that is a genre they hate no matter how well it's made. The only difference is LEGO has much, much better animation, which is kinda what the animation branch is supposed to judge

If I had to guess, I'd say it comes down to Hyperion and Tangled.

Which film has better animation is subjective, but which film is technically more complex is not. BH6 runs circles around LEGO in terms of what they did for lighting, setting, and so forth. LEGO uses its resources innovatively, yes, but BH6 developed revolutionary new resources.

And besides that, I think the Academy is a little gunshy of another Tangled situation, where WDAS delivered a very technically complex and well-liked film and didn't get a nomination. Granted, that was probably more due to the 3 nom limit than anything else, but still.

• Like 1

I wish they kept the 3-nom limit. There's not enough feature-length animated films released to justify 5.

It's a threshold thing, right? If there's 15 or fewer eligible films, there will be 3 noms, and if there's more there will be 5. This year we had 20.

Even so, sticking to a 3-nom limit would make things a lot more interesting. Not better, but, yes, interesting.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

I wish they kept the 3-nom limit. There's not enough feature-length animated films released to justify 5.

I prefer the 5-nom limit if only because it draws attention to foreign lesser-known animated movies. For example, I'm really interested in seeing Song of the Sea now thanks to its nomination.

Of course, the only problem is that those foreign lesser-known animations usually end up losing despite (more often than not) being miles better, but hey, baby steps.

• Like 6

It's a threshold thing, right? If there's 15 or fewer eligible films, there will be 3 noms, and if there's more there will be 5. This year we had 20.

Even so, sticking to a 3-nom limit would make things a lot more interesting. Not better, but, yes, interesting.

I think it'd be better and more interesting. Otherwise there seems to be a trend of nominating just the "pretty good".

I prefer the 5-nom limit if only because it draws attention to foreign lesser-known animated movies. For example, I'm really interested in seeing Song of the Sea now thanks to its nomination.

Of course, the only problem is that those foreign lesser-known animations usually end up losing despite (more often than not) being miles better, but hey, baby steps.

Good point.

Yeah, it would suck if we never saw the likes of Song of the Sea or Princess Kaguya in the nomination list again.

This year I think there's a chance that one of the two could pull out a win. None of the field seems to overshadow the rest, at the moment.

• Like 1

Would continue discussing but...

Blank, in the words of Dr. Henry Jones:

Let it go.

I know you! You're mocking me by quoting last year's Best Animated Feature winner!!!

The only reason I brought it up again is because baumer was like "lolololol guys I hated it so it's not a snub"

• Like 1

For me it's

Carell

Keaton

Cooper

Redmayne

Cumberbatch.

Actress it's

Cotillard

Moore

Pike

Witherspoon

Jones

Supporting Actor:

Ruffalo

Hawke

Simmons

Norton

(didn't see the judge. I'm assuming I missed transcendent work here...)

Supporting Actress:

Arquette

Streep

Dern

Knightley

Stone

So yeah, Spike Lee shares my thoughts on why Selma was snubbed:

“Anyone who thinks this year was gonna be like last year is retarded,” said Lee. “There were a lot of black folks up there with 12 Years a Slave, Steve [McQueen], Lupita [Nyong’o], Pharrell. It’s in cycles of every 10 years. Once every 10 years or so I get calls from journalists about how people are finally accepting black films. Before last year, it was the year [in 2002] with Halle Berry, Denzel [Washington], and Sidney Poitier. It’s a 10-year cycle. So I don’t start doing backflips when it happens.”

You gonna mock him too, Chewy? :)
  • Like 2