CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

Lol so glad American Sniper, an adult oriented R-rated drama is gonna beat all the fanboy movies this year for #1 at the boxoffice, thats probably not gonna happen again for a very long time.  Haters gonna haaaate.

I don't think anyone is hating though. Maybe there are some disappointed Hunger Games fans. But, the only people hating on American Sniper are doing so for other reasons.

• Like 3

Lol so glad American Sniper, an adult oriented R-rated drama is gonna beat all the fanboy movies this year for #1 at the boxoffice, thats probably not gonna happen again for a very long time.  Haters gonna haaaate.

Oh god just move on already. The fuck is up with your constant need to bash THG?

News for you...THG series will be remembered far more than AS.

• Like 1

Why should budget or box office matter for Oscars? Can't it simply be that the best film of the year in the opinions of the members wins the award.

If that is a film I made in my garden for $25 or Avengers: Age of Ultron it shouldn't matter and it's annoying that there feels like there are all these other requirements that have to be filled in order to win an award.

• Like 1

I'm glad Redmayne won best actor, but how the hell did American Sniper win Best Sound Editing while competing with Interstellar and The Hobbit?! That I don't get. I also don't get why Interstellar lost Best Original Score.

War films tend to do well with those. Zero Dark Thirty, The Hurt Locker, Letters from Iwo Jima, U-571. I suppose if nothing else Bigelow and Eastwood do good sound editing in their films.

Sound Mixing will more often go to other things, hence Whiplash's win.

As for score, Desplat was due. He also did an amazing score.

• Like 2

Hmm, so we're all shitting on Birdman now that it actually won.

Well, I still liked it - though Whiplash winning would have been best of all. I don't know why it was never even in contention. I'm also surprised, if not particularly bothered, that Boyhood got shutout that much. Thought they'd mix the BP and Best Director to please both.

Annoyed by Redmayne's predictable win: stop rewarding British prestige biopics! It encourages our film industry to make nothing else!

Are people actually down on Sniper not winning? The reviews weren't great - is its colossal box office not enough recognition?

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

I can see why they rewarded Birdman in both Picture and Director, but Linklater deserved one of them at least. 

Redmayne deserves his Oscar because a lot of you are underrating how much effort he put in to be able to contort his body as such and act at the same time for weeks/months. I'm pretty sure that's why they are rewarding him because that physicality barrier is a lot more difficult to master and he did it brilliantly. I was wondering if he had a stunt double but it was all him. Keaton had a brilliant performance as well, perhaps why Inaritu won was getting all his actors firing, but unfortunately for him, Redmayne's performance took a lot more and he didn't just deliver, but did it in spades.

Big Hero 6 deserved nothing. What a bullshit film. Now Disney will pat themselves on the back for being "diverse" when it was the most superficial representation of diversity I've seen. Films like Fast and the Furious embrace their cast and don't laud themselves for it. Not to mention the piss-poor DTV story and superhero worship going on. If they weren't going to reward Dragon 2, they should have Song of the Sea or Princess Kaguya, but these are mostly Americans voting for these so obviously closeness to their culture won out as usual.

Regarding a point made about why categories "below the line" all feature nominations from most of the same films: Is it not because there just isn't enough time to go through every outstanding contribution? I know it's a lame excuse, and technically to get in for score/sound mixing etc. they must be nominated by their own branch, but all these films did "good enough" to be considered anyway, plus there are only 5 nominees so it's not like all of the films get in. Furthermore, if the odd film did get in, the voters would have to watch the film as well. Again, it's their job, but this is human nature. I think the score for "Tracks" was great last year (if it qualifies for last year) and should have at least been nominated. Rarely do I look for a film's score after I see the movie, and things like Interstellar and Grand Budapest and all really left no impression as far as I can remember. Sounds like stuff done before. 

Anyway, though I haven't seen some of the nominees and nominations this year, I'm glad at least that great performances and movies were rewarded- something that is rarer than you would think. Just 2 years ago "Argo" won. Just like "Gone Baby Gone", it's a well made movie but has zero character, zero memorability and I'd never watch it again. I don't think there are any standout performances either, and perhaps that is more of "Oscar bait" than anything, after all, at least those donned "Oscar bait" films provide us with some outstanding performances or cinematography or costume design etc. 

• Like 1