CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

The release date is probably the real reason for LEGO's absence. We're talking about a movie just shy of a year old.

Grand Budapest Hotel came out in March and was able to secure 9 nominations tying with Birdman for the most this year. I highly doubt the release date made a huge impact on the voters decision.
  • Like 1

Grand Budapest Hotel came out in March and was able to secure 9 nominations tying with Birdman for the most this year. I highly doubt the release date made a huge impact on the voters decision.

And we already see how rare that is, given Silence of the Lambs is the last time something like that happened. Early release date absolutely affects the Oscars. GBH was very lucky it was such a memorable little movie that carried its momentum throughout the year.

Which movie, animated short, director, and actress / actor I want to win in the listed categories in MY OPINION.  If a category has more than one suggestion (9 out of 11 will), I'll be fine with any of the suggestions winning.

Best Picture

~ Boyhood / Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Director

~ Richard Linklater / Wes Anderson / Morten Tyldum 

Best Actor

~ Michael Keaton / Bradly Cooper

Best Actress

~ Julianne Moore / Rosamund Pike

Best Supporting Actor

~ Ethan Hawke / Edward Norton

Best Supporting Actress

~ Patricia Arquette 

Best Music (Original Score)

~ The Theory of Everything / The Imitation Game

Best Music (Original Song)

~ Everything is Awesome / Glory

Best Animated Feature Film

~ Big Hero 6 / The Tale of Princess Kaguya 

Best Foreign Language Film

~ Leviathan / Ida

Best Short Film (Animated)

~ Feast

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 1

And we already see how rare that is, given Silence of the Lambs is the last time something like that happened. Early release date absolutely affects the Oscars. GBH was very lucky it was such a memorable little movie that carried its momentum throughout the year.

The LEGO Movie is the fourth highest grossing film of last year. The academy for sure didn't forget about it completely. The fact that it's nominated for Best Origingal Song shows they were definitely paying attention. I think the reason it wasn't nominated was that most of the voters saw it as an extended toy commercial or something like that.

The fact that isn't nominated isn't really a big deal to me (despite the fact that I thought it was quite good). Honestly I'd much rather have it not be nominated than not be nominated and having a really bad animated movie nominated instead.

• Like 1

The LEGO Movie is the fourth highest grossing film of last year. The academy for sure didn't forget about it completely. The fact that it's nominated for Best Origingal Song shows they were definitely paying attention. I think the reason it wasn't nominated was that most of the voters saw it as an extended toy commercial or something like that.

The fact that isn't nominated isn't really a big deal to me (despite the fact that I thought it was quite good). Honestly I'd much rather have it not be nominated than not be nominated and having a really bad animated movie nominated instead.

It's not that they've forgotten that it exists, it's the idea that they forgot just how good it was.

• Like 2

It's not rocket science. Selma got snubbed because it came out the year after 12 Years.

What I don't get the logic that just because you rewarded a great black movie the year before that it's okay to ignore a great black movie about a different subject.

I don't think in this case it was a race issue though, I think it was paramount not sending the screeners. However I do think there is a unconscious race issue in Hollywood, where everyone wants to be progressive so they'll make deliberate attempts to give minorities and women roles but they end up being roles specifically fit for minorities (a black slave, a black maid, etc) just look at all the pat black Oscar nominees. There are few to no black/minority roles that get nominated that aren't in movies about racial/minority issues.

This isn't even necessarily because Oscar voters won't vote for them but because

1.There are significantly less minorities in the industry than whites. This means whites write the stories and so (even though they aren't doing it out of deliberate ignorance) they write roles for whites, or the casting directors cast whites in roles that don't require the actor to be a certain race (and in some cases, like Exodus, they white wash them anyways). There needs to be an incentive to get more minorities in all of the areas of the industry, for example, there has been only one minority director to win Best Director and that was last year.

2.There seems to be a consensus of making white or black movies instead of making movies. Sure, there are some movies that need a mostly black cast such as Selma or 12YAS, and there are some that need a mostly white cast such as Lord of the Rings or to an extent Boyhood (based on the lead Linklater chose and the setting he chose, he had to pick what would racially represent that setting and the boy's family). But we need more movies that don't require this type of casting to be more like the Fast franchise, but also not do it simply for the sake of diversity.

There needs to be a conscious effort to not be the movie that says, "But we have one token black man (who dies 30 minutes in), we aren't racist!" Don't make minorities tokens to the cast, treat them the same for roles like you would for whites or blacks.

3.Hollywood needs to stop putting racial issues in the boxes of Civil Rights and American Slavery, racial issues are much more complex and broad than that. There are more ways to address race issues than making a movie in those two eras (not that you can't make movies in those eras, it just seems like most movies addressing race take place in them because there is less controversy and it's obvious). We need more race movies like Fruitvale Station and less movies like Black or White.

I think addressing those three problems is probably the first steps to help end the racial bias in Hollywood.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

To be honest, I feel like Selma was just thrown in the Best Picture category. It didn't get any other big nomination yet was nominated for best picture.

Regardless it has received exceptionally strong reviews.

• Like 1

Best Actor

Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"

Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"

Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"

Michael Keaton, "BIrdman"

Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

3-Times in row for Bradley?? :huh:

I didn't watched American Sniper. But if his act is just the same as AH and SLP, then he must be the most overrated actor of this generation.

• Like 2

3-Times in row for Bradley?? :huh:

I didn't watched American Sniper. But if his act is just the same as AH and SLP, then he must be the most overrated actor of this generation.

Haven't seen American Hustle but he was fantastic in SLP.