CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

Because the nomination process for Best Pic is different than the other categories. You can get in if you have a small, dedicated group of supporters.

How are noms determined for the other categories? Is it limited to the people in the specific field?

Because the nomination process for Best Pic is different than the other categories. You can get in if you have a small, dedicated group of supporters.

Damn it #ED, we need to get into the Academy. Then we can ensure Nolan never misses Best Pic nods ever again

• Like 1

Best Short Film (Animated)
"The Bigger Picture"
"The Dam Keeper"
"Feast"
"Me and My Moulton"
"A Single Life"

Whoa, I just realized I've seen three of these. I haven't seen The Dam Keeper or A Single Life, yet.

The Bigger Picture is a bit weird. The format is really cool, but the story's a bit eh.

Feast most people know about. It's pretty great, although I do think it's a touch too long to get the point across. I don't think it was necessary for the final montage. The meatball rolling and baby dropping the food is enough to get a taste of what is to come for Winston.

Me and My Moulton is fantastic. Absolutely hilarious and really heartfelt. It's my choice for the award.

An animated movie will never win Best Picture in my lifetime.

In another 60-70 when the academy has a much different makeup of members than it does now, possibly. Until then, there's no chance.

Well the good news then is it could happen in my lifetime. :P I wonder if I'll still be seeing and loving animation at 80. :lol:

• Like 1

An animated movie will never win Best Picture in my lifetime.

In another 60-70 when the academy has a much different makeup of members than it does now, possibly. Until then, there's no chance.

And it never will because they have the Best Animated Feature Film Category. Until they get rid of that category, there will never be a compelling enough narrative with the AMPAS. 

• Like 3

If it's universally liked and a huge hit, why wouldn't it though? It would be like Avatar and Gravity not making it. I think it will have to be a really strong year for it not to make it if it delivers in a big way.

That's like saying any blockbuster that is well-reviewed makes it and that is not true whatsoever. Star Wars has no chance of making it.

You do realize they changed the rules for inclusion into the Best Picture race in 2011? So no more District 9's and the like will get in. 

edit: Basically SW will have to be top choice for many voters, (5% or something) and that is extremely unlikely. 

Edited by BK007
  • Like 1

Nah, I don't think it gets a BP nom unless it's a really weak year.

If it's universally liked and a huge hit, why wouldn't it though? It would be like Avatar and Gravity not making it. I think it will have to be a really strong year for it not to make it if it delivers in a big way.

One could make the argument that Avatar was an animated film.   :ph34r:

I was just thinking about the noms again and I still can't believe Cotillard made like. This is giving me so much life rn, like you guys don't even know. I honestly cannot fucking believe it at all 

ikr? To me it's like if I had to rank all the nominated performances this year it would be

1. Cotillard

2-20. whatever.

• Like 2