CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

Today is Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday, so it got me thinking about our need to build the strength of diversity in our industry, and to stand together against homophobic, sexist, and misogynistic, antisemitic, and racist agendas. I’m an optimist and I can’t help but feel hopeful about the future of film especially looking at these beautiful people in this room. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” And I would like to encourage everyone in this room to please speak up.
— 

Jessica Chastain

tumblr_inline_nh9jmdBj8y1re8wlc.gif

I LOVE HER SO MUCH.

• Like 4

Some thoughts:

The Lego Movie snub

One of the most appealing or creatively striking aspects of TLM, was it playing against type of its source material, that in, they are encouraging you not to use the instructions and that would be the metaphor or allegory towards life. Another was the child's creativity, or a child's mindset to mix up all the playsets and just have general wild fun, however both of these do rely on people either knowing what Lego is and how you play it or them actually having played with it. That could be the reason why it was not recognized, after all, besides English speaking territories, Lego did quite badly overseas which suggests an inherent cultural issue, and then more likely too, an age issue. Furthermore, when they do see cultural references and brands they know, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, TMNT etc. combined with Lego, they might have got even more turned off and missed the point of the movie completely. 

Paramount dropping the ball

First off; great article here: (thanks to OP)

http://moviecitynews.com/2015/01/20-weeks-to-oscar-screenermania/

But, my question remains. Why on Earth are the considerations/nomination process/list making so freaking early?

The SAG nominating committee started on November 19th and finished on December 8th. That's three weeks left of the year and if you just want to get it over and done with, you can skip 6 weeks of movie releases and vote right on November 19th. What is the point of this? You're basically squeezing down your window of release to September-November, since earlier releases get ignored and later releases have no time to be seen. It's stupid. Plain and simple.

Furthermore, the issue of DVDs. Before DVDs, what did they do? Send VHS tapes around? That seems impossible to comprehend with costs and space. It must mean that studios, guilds, committees or whomever, hosted screenings, and since this is an industry based around the theatre, you'd think they would or should pleasantly sit in one to watch movies they are rewarding. What does it say, that you'd rather pop in a DVD? How does that reflect on the industry? Which leads me to ask, who exactly is part of these voting committees?

If they have other jobs, if you want to explain the DVD issue, how did they use to do it pre-DVD? Why can't they do that now? They used to do it, it worked for 70 years. If they cannot handle watching FYC movies, then maybe they should not be nominating movies, right? But, who are they? The stereotype of old, white men is probably true, but what criteria does it take to get in and why are they renowned or allowed to be awarding people anyway, in other words what are their credentials? I'm not going to go full-on conspiracy, as it is the industry itself, that excludes minorities (read: non-white) people from more expansive roles to be acknowledged for, not the Academy, but having said that there is a clear preference that they do seem to have for certain kinds of movies, and whilst we shouldn't allow it to become the MTV awards, there should be some diversification of the members.

I understand the "politics" of awards too, but if this is to be an actual award-giving and therefore performance-recognizing ceremony, then by right money should not play such a massive issue, as the MCN article points out. Why should DVDs be sent to critics (whose job it is to see these movies) or guilds (who should be committed to watching their peers). It is to ensure a movie is seen, but that becomes a popularity contest. Last question for this overlong segment; what's the difference between nominating now and then the length to the actual awards? Haven't all the members voted? If they haven't, then how can they even fucking vote the first time round in the nominating process? I could watch one movie, vote for that and wait until the others are nominated to see if I like them any better. It's lazy and does not award the best, but the convenient/lazy/political.

Why blacks make black movies (or why gays make gay movies)

Someone asked this awhile back, as I assume it's tiring to keep seeing black rights/slavery movies or whatnot. Is this not the same from seeing superhero movie after superhero movie? Touchy topic on here, I know. The reason those keep getting made is because people like them. The reason we see the "same" awards movies getting made, is because the topic is still relevant. Let's not pretend America has dealt with any of its issues from sexism to racism and discrimination. It's gotten better, certainly, but do we want to just be a bit better or do we want to actually change once and for all?

People make movies, or most people make movies, about issues that inspire them. It is because the race issue is still an issue, is why movies about it keep getting made. If there were no complaints, there would be no interest or need to keep making them. It may seem like an overload to have a movie a year about black rights and perhaps minority rights in the future, but it is because the real issue has not been dealt with. The Academy awarding something like Crash, which has become the butt of all jokes, pales to the actual reality where people have not dealt with it. I didn't even like Crash, but you cannot fault the Academy for thinking that they thought it was a good movie that tackled the topic of race. Movies for the public is for entertainment. The Academy is technically for the "art". So, the voters may get tired or we may get tired, but because so few people actually go to movies, just because we have become more progressive does not mean society has. Yeah, 12 Years a Slave made $60m last year, but how much of that came from white Americans which should actually be the demographic that should watch the film? Even then, Titanic only ever reached something like 25-30% of all Americans (tickets sold), so even if we account for those who saw it later, that % should not increase too much. If 70% of people don't watch one of the biggest movies of all time domestically, how many people are actually seeing these movies that you all are getting tired of. Even then, there are loads of posters on here who cannot be bothered if it's not a blockbuster. So, in what reality are these criticisms valid? 

Movies are also a product of our times. When the casting of a movie represents the population more accurately, then you could say these issues have been dealt with. What I mean by this is not "cast a minority for the sake of it" that trolls always have on the agenda, but if it were actually merit based, then by right it would also be reflected in the pool of actors. We shouldn't cast a minority over a white person simply because he/she is a minority, but the assumption that there are more white actors better than minority actors fails to take into the account the chances for them are non-existent and, fuck well it is plain ignorant really, ignoring all political, demographical, social, financial and atmospherical issues. It's simple probability, that in general, given all else is equal, that the number of talented people would follow how many of them there are. Today's movies are mostly not representative of that. Yeah, if you're making a drama about a white family in Ohio or whatever, that's your topic, but in blockbusters or any of these high concept films the casting is still biased. Once again it comes down to who is making the film. A straight writer would obviously be more comfortable writing a straight character, and the best films/stories/writing come from the heart but that equally means that if a gay writer was writing a movie and was more comfortable writing the hero to be gay that should be fine too. 

Another criticism may be "give people what they want to see", but realistically, how many trends start from that as opposed to making a good movie that people liked, in other words, you tell them what they like. No one was clamouring for a biopic about Titanic or blue aliens on a fantasy planet and how much did they make? All time top grossing movies? 

Once the casting agent looks for the best actor or actress for the role and not excludes minorities for having a different skin colour will there finally be progress. If a white person were to beat them out for the role, it would be on merit and not because "he's the protagonist/hero, which means he's white". The movie industry hasn't been on the forefront of many issues, but they can be on this. There's no real reason to follow the politics of a country and its inability to deal with racial issues. Be the change you want to see, of course, maybe right now the people in charge don't want to see the change.

• Like 3

I saw an interesting article on LEGO's snub, saying because those nominations are chosen by members of that branch giving each movie a rating out of 100 (instead of based on number 1 votes), that they would have looked at LEGO was a technical animation standpoint (one of the reasons Stop-Motion always gets bad).  Given that LEGO played parody on the beloved stop motion style, it could have been a turn off when compared to the safe styles of Song of the Sea, Boxtrolls, and Kaguya.  They also would have recognized the brand name of Dreamworks and Disney more respectable than the newcomers Warner Bros.

Not particularly fair, but it explains why LEGO may have gotten in for song but not animation.

• Like 1

Also not surprised that HTTYD2 won over Lego movie and got nominated over it. Its campaign was being crafted by Lisa Taback, who's the best Oscar Consultant and campaigner out there. Whatever she touches turns to gold. She's the reason TKS, The Artist won and Aniston got so close to a nom and etc. 

I was just thinking about the noms again and I still can't believe Cotillard made like. This is giving me so much life rn, like you guys don't even know. I honestly cannot fucking believe it at all 

This. So fuc*ing happy for her.

NO SAG support

NO BAFTA support

NO Golden Globes support

And she campaigned only once and that was last year. Many people felt it was over.

Got rewarded at the end.

By the way her performance by far is the best this season. If Moore is not overdue, Marion deserves her second Oscar!

• Like 1

saw Selma yesterday Not the best film ever but

wow poor Oyelowo  :(  he was indeed great

doubly mad over "3 time nominee" Cooper now

But really funny how I until the happy end foolishly thought that no way will that academy dudes will embrace Anderson & Linklater even with all the precursors but THEY DID!  :wub:

feels like a miracle Im tempted to pinch myself & do a reality check  :D

Edited by Lady of Lorien

btw if we are talking snubbed, why no transformer visual effects Oscar? I love GOTG and all but the effects in Transformers were superior. And why the fuck did DOFP get in over it? the CGI in that was nothing special at all. The academy need to stop being so biased and actually vote films that 'are' the best in that category, instead they let their hate for certain filmmakers (Bay) influence their decision and its the hard workers at the special effects company that suffer.

Transformers will have gone 4 films without a single win, pretty ridiculous if you ask me. People can hate the film, but on a technical level they deserve to be rewarded

Edited by jessie
  • Like 3

btw if we are talking snubbed, why no transformer visual effects Oscar? I love GOTG and all but the effects in Transformers were superior. And why the fuck did DOFP get in over it? the CGI in that was nothing special at all. The academy need to stop being so biased and actually vote films that 'are' the best in that category, instead they let their hate for certain filmmakers (Bay) influence their decision and its the hard workers at the special effects company that suffer.

Transformers will have gone 4 films without a single win, pretty ridiculous if you ask me. People can hate the film, but on a technical level they deserve to be rewarded

GOTG and DOFP are ok-ish. But why the hell did CA2 get a nom?! That is not even special effects heavy or memorable in any way from that POV. It's just stupid.

• Like 1