The final spot:

10. Room

11. Mad Max 

12. The Big Short

13. Brooklyn

14. The Danish Girl

15. Star Wars

• Like 2

Big Short is screening tonight. Another sight unseen contender. 

Han, The possibility of a vote split with TGD for IO, and the loss of momentum for Carol, and the huggeeee loss of momentum for the divisive Jobs doesn't QUITE make them super likely. But they are certainly contenders. I'm with panda- this year feels wayyyy more fluid than years past. I think we get 10 noms. 

Predicts

1. Spotlight

2. Room

3. Joy

4. Brooklyn

5. The Martian

6. The Revenant 

7. Bridge of Spies

8. Hateful Eight

9. Carol

10. Steve Jobs

Alts: In the Heart of the Sea/Big Short (both have strong early buzz)

• Like 1

I expect Carol's momentum will pick up once it's actually released. It's the biggest critical favorite of the season along with Mad Max and Spotlight, and Weinstein's behind it. 

From what I've seen already, Brooklyn and/or The Martian getting in over MMFR would be ludicrous. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Big Short is screening tonight. Another sight unseen contender. 

Han, The possibility of a vote split with TGD for IO, and the loss of momentum for Carol, and the huggeeee loss of momentum for the divisive Jobs doesn't QUITE make them super likely. But they are certainly contenders. I'm with panda- this year feels wayyyy more fluid than years past. I think we get 10 noms. 

Predicts

1. Spotlight

2. Room

3. Joy

4. Brooklyn

5. The Martian

6. The Revenant 

7. Bridge of Spies

8. Hateful Eight

9. Carol

10. Steve Jobs

Alts: In the Heart of the Sea/Big Short (both have strong early buzz)

Based on Academy reactions Steve Jobs is playing great with them. Despite how big of a bomb it was I still think it can manage 4 nominations.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Looks like it will be Martian versus Spotlight..

Martian might be the BP winner yall..just wait until the PGA announces

It will not win any critics BPs though. It will all go to spotlight (this year's Boyhood critical fave as I said all along)

I am still hoping JOY/Revenant prove worthy of a win..

On 11/11/2015 17:06:40, Tau Ceti said:

What's wrong with expecting a minimum of theatrical success for a BP winner? In unadjusted terms the last ten years of BP domestic grosses have been as low as they were in the 1980s. In adjusted terms, the lowest ever. It's a recipe for irrelevance.

Irrelevance? In the 1980's and 1990's audience were more prepared to embrace Oscar films, hence the bigger BO. Now, the oversaturated market kills the chances of great films to be succesful. It is not that 12YAS or The Artist are less relevant or artistically compelling than Annie Hall, The last emperor, Charriots of fire...

The Oscars are not looking to reward popularity. They look for artistical/filming relevance. They sometimes fail to select the best film (Crash, Slumdog millionaire), but their choices are never irrelevant. In fact, in this market Oscars are now more important than ever to underline which are the relevant films of the year.

The Big Short was never going to be a contender unless it got absolutely rapturous reviews. I'm looking forward to seeing it just for the talent involved, but a broad Adam McKay comedy with (slightly) less absurdist humor doesn't sound like something that would regularly be up the Academy's alley.

Yeah, The Big Short might snag a nomination for Carell (depending on his category, Lead is astonishingly barren at this point) and maybe Screenplay but it's not really going anywhere otherwise.

What a weird year. Imagine if The Revenant and Joy fall short of expectations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, The Big Short might snag a nomination for Carell (depending on his category, Lead is astonishingly barren at this point) and maybe Screenplay but it's not really going anywhere otherwise.

What a weird year. Imagine if The Revenant and Joy fall short of expectations.

Carell's lead, I think he can get in.

• Like 1