LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

Its not just patriotism that sells. The family values in the marketing/movie paid off handsomely as well. Everyone's idea of an quintessential US soldier. 

I thought the movie was a bit uneven, all over the place, and lots of whitewashing, but I can see why it sells. Cooper was fantastic though. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 3

Its not just patriotism that sells. The family values in the marketing/movie paid off handsomely as well. Everyone's idea of an quintessential US soldier. 

I thought the movie was a bit uneven, all over the place, and lots of whitewashing, but I can see why it sells. Cooper was fantastic though. 

As I said before AS did well as it looked at the Iraq war from a more casual point of view. A man doing his duty and having a family.

Then compared to other films that take a more advanced or nuanced point of view about war. 

• Like 3

So I think the best comparison for this would be Black Hawk Down. It opened in late December in NY/LA to great numbers Was nominated for Oscars(might have received a Best Picture nomination had the field been more than 5). Then expanded to MLK for 28 million three day and a final total of 108.

Let's just say the three day for this is 88 million. If you take BHD's multiplier of 3.8 you get about 335 million.

• Like 4

I could imagine a scenario where you guys are setting yourselves up for a disappointment. No matter how huge the movie is that always seems to be the case (I can even recall people bemoaning the fact that avatar couldn't get to 750 million without a rerelease)

• Like 7

I could imagine a scenario where you guys are setting yourselves up for a disappointment. No matter how huge the movie is that always seems to be the case (I can even recall people bemoaning the fact that avatar couldn't get to 750 million without a rerelease)

"Its not beating Titanic? What a failure. American Flopper." 

• Like 2

I think Bradley Cooper s very popular amongst young adults, especially after the hangover movies and AS is based on a true story which happened not long ago at all, it's still fresh in people's minds. Add the fact that it advertised itself as Americans deadliest ever sniper and oscar nominations and this opening still doesn't make any fucking sense.

• Like 1