kayumanggi

INSIDE OUT | 501.1 M overseas | 857.6 M worldwide

$15m in China for IO???? It's atrocious, a shame! How could such a market make it fail that way?? It's like grossing $30m DOM!!! It's such a good movie, how is that even possible??? Shame on you China! :angry:

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, seduh said:

aparentrly Disney did a bad job there doing the dub version with unknow stars (in oposition to Little Prince which make more than IO)

I never heard of anyone wanting to watch a movie only because it is dubbed by a local celebrity and rightly so because that would be ridiculous...I'm not convinced by that argument :/

Animated films that tries to just target to kids only.....could be a bad thing.

You need to appeal to adults in order to get a wider demographic......but it's so hard for some smaller animated films to do it, nowadays.

The problem was that IO was not that sellable in China....hence the underperformance there. And it's an original.

Some animated films that aren't KFP-related or sequels to the predecessors, rarely breakout massive.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

17 hours ago, seduh said:

aparentrly Disney did a bad job there doing the dub version with unknow stars (in oposition to Little Prince which make more than IO)

That isn't really the reason it did less although it may have contributed towards that. 

16 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Animated films that tries to just target to kids only.....could be a bad thing.

You need to appeal to adults in order to get a wider demographic......but it's so hard for some smaller animated films to do it, nowadays.

The problem was that IO was not that sellable in China....hence the underperformance there. And it's an original.

Some animated films that aren't KFP-related or sequels to the predecessors, rarely breakout massive.

What? IO was an animated film that targeted kids only? It was the exact opposite. It was an animated film that was a little difficult for kids and high concept instead of just being gag-level funny (like minions) or high fantasy or action oriented which is what the Chinese people like in their movies. And it was due this reason that it didn't make much there unlike minions which actually was a kid targeted movie... And 'small' animated movie? This was a Major Pixar flick with a budget double that of Minions. Think before you post buddy, don't just post anything.

Edited by Infernus

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

That isn't really the reason it did less although it may have contributed towards that. 

What? IO was an animated film that targeted kids only? It was the exact opposite. It was an animated film that was a little difficult for kids and high concept instead of just being gag-level funny (like minions) or high fantasy or action oriented which is what the Chinese people like in their movies. And it was due this reason that it didn't make much there unlike minions which actually was a kid targeted movie... And 'small' animated movie? This was a Major Pixar flick with a budget double that of Minions. Think before you post buddy, don't just post anything.

Hey!.....thats what i meant about IO.

IO was an animated film targeted more for adults but China didn't bother to see it on droves. I'm just assuming of what Omni said.

And I am thinking before i post. Did you think i was bullshiting about IO's performance?? Ask Omni about that....don't take it on me now, Infernus!

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hey!.....thats what i meant about IO.

IO was an animated film targeted more for adults but China didn't bother to see it on droves. I'm just assuming of what Omni said.

And I am thinking before i post. Did you think i was bullshiting about IO's performance?? Ask Omni about that....don't take it on me now.

Er..Oh..Ok...

50 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

yeah. Good. :)

A more appreciative response would be more thankful.

Anyways.....i don't really know how much exactly The Good Dinosaur will do in China. What's the best case scenario for it?

Well firstly, it wasn't about 'bullshitting' but simply about being wrong. And I want 'taking it out' on anyone. I ain't that invested in this movie to be 'taking it out' on anyone saying anything bad about it. Anyways yeah sorry but I couldn't really form a more appreciative or rather a more 'fuller' response coz I couldn't really understand what you meant by what you said. And now that you said what you said I couldn't really make out what you actually meant by what you said before that. So since I didn't fully understand anymore what you meant I thought it would be unfair writing anything that means anything myself in response. 

Also, I don't really see how Omni was 'bullshitting' IO's performance.

Edited by Infernus

10 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Well firstly, it wasn't about 'bullshitting' but simply about being wrong. And I want 'taking it out' on anyone. I ain't that invested in this movie to be 'taking it out' on anyone saying anything bad about it. Anyways yeah sorry but I couldn't really form a more appreciative of rather a more 'fuller' response coz I couldn't really understand what you meant by what you said. And now that you said what you said I couldn't really make out what you actually meant by what you said before that. So since I didn't fully understand anymore what you meant I thought it would be unfair writing anything that means anything myself in response. 

Also, I don't really see how Omni was 'bullshitting' IO's performance.

OK..."bullshiting" isn't really THE term i was looking for.

But Omni said this and i quote:

"In China animated films are strictly for kids and young teens, from what I know. And IO doesn't have any robots, funny animals, sci-fi elements, annoying bananas or kung-fu scenes. Therefore... "

Now that is where i disagree with Omni. Not all animated films are and can be strictly for kids and that doesn't make them any less hyped than normal blockbusters because of it. That's where i took issue with his post. And IO didn't need any of those elements to make money over there.....but  it didn't make very much, over there anyway.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Boh...

I was just stating that China seems to be a market where animated films aiming at a more mature audience are very difficult to sell. Animation over there just needs simple, light elements and a lack of any sophistication. Monsters (read: Monsters!) University, most certainly one of the less mature and smart among Pixar releases, is the highest Pixar grosser in China.

I bless every animated film which isn't dumb or childish and which shows a strong story, with relatively strong inner (and perhaps hidden) themes. But a producer of a film like that has to know that he/she won't be able to sell the product in China. An animated movie which does not clearly look like an animated movie for kids IS less hyped in China. And right because of that. From what I know, it's how the market works.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Omni said:

Boh...

I was just stating that China seems to be a market where animated films aiming at a more mature audience are very difficult to sell. Animation over there just needs simple, light elements and a lack of any sophistication. Monsters (read: Monsters!) University, most certainly one of the less mature and smart among Pixar releases, is the highest Pixar grosser in China.

I bless every animated film which isn't dumb or childish and which shows a strong story, with relatively strong inner (and perhaps hidden) themes. But a producer of a film like that has to know that he/she won't be able to sell the product in China. An animated movie which does not clearly look like an animated movie for kids IS less hyped in China. And right because of that. From what I know, it's how the market works.

Probably the best explanation. It's pretty sad though but the trend is similar in Brazil and Russia at a lesser extent. All these markets are not mature yet.

Animated films don't do that well in China, unless it has Chinese themes are characters in it like Kung Fu Panda and Monster Hunt. However,  animation is steadily growing in China's film market and will one day reach America's level, but live action blockbusters will get there first.

• Like 1