Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

I love the 90s. I always said I wished I was a teenager during the 90s so I could have grown up without internet, cell phones etc (well relatively).

Then again I would now be pushing 40 if that was my reality so I'll take the aughts.

I think it's pretty good growing up as a teenager in the 10s (teens? idk) but I kinda wish I had grown up in the 90s too.

If the studios are smart, theyll take this nostalgia thing from 0 to 100 real quick. 80's-90's kids are nearing their 30's and 20's, and we crave our childhoods. TeenNick does "The 90s Are All That" block every night which is a success, and theres dozens of "I Heart the 90s"/"I Miss the 90's"/"Only 90s kids" etc on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. Wasn't there even a Saved By the Bell movie just on TV last year? And Jimmy Fallon did a Saved By The Bell skit last week. And theres talk of bringing Full House back, and Fresh Prince still airs on like 6 different channels, Toy Story 4 is happening. Turtles smashed expectations, and now Spongebob. I think even Netflix has a 90's section.

Nostalgia is clearly hot right now and I can see them, especially Paramount, picking every old 80's and 90's item they can find. Theyll eventually make that Captain Planet movie, just watch. Obviously I'd like more original content, but when something is hot, like the vampire fad, zombie fad, found footage fad, slave movies fad (ugh), etc. then you jump on it. Watch, theyll make a movie on dial-up internet. Just watch...

Digimon and Pokemon seem like monsters ready to explode. Easily the 2 biggest cartoons of the 90's.

• Like 1

Yeah but we'll get some crappy pop star singing the Pokemon theme song which would ruin everything

I don't care. I would die of happiness if one of those were announced.

I don't see live-action Pokemon or Power Rangers having the broad appeal of Transformers.

Maybe a similar appeal to TMNT, but not Transformers.

Transformer's appeal isn't soley based on nostalgia. The concept has eye candy that lots of people rush to see.

• Like 1

Live action you mean? Made by Americans?

Made by talented people, either Americans or not. Michael Bay directing a Digimon movie would be a dream. Pokemon would need another type of director.

• Like 1

I am honestly kinda shocked on how badly both SS and JA performed. SS is opening below stuff like Legend of Hercules and I, Frankenstein. That is insane. And Jupiter Ascending is opening below Into the Storm and Need for Speed. Mind-blowing. Into the Storm didn't even had the 3D advantage. 

Edited by CJohn

I am honestly kinda shocked on how badly both SS and JA performed. SS is opening below stuff like Legend of Hercules and I, Frankenstein. That is insane. And Jupiter Ascending is opening below Into the Storm and Need for Speed. Mind-blowing. Into the Storm didn't even had the 3D advantage. 

I'm shocked that you're shocked. It was pretty obvious from the first trailer that JA was gonna bomb hard. Same for Seventh Son. Literally everything about those movies screamed epic tankage.

• Like 1

The cards were always against JA, which is the reason I made my club.

- Early screening talk wasnt good, so reviews could only be so much better (which they werent). And since this is an original movie based off original material, you could only get so many causal moviegoers with those reviews (like none lmao).

- Yall cant base marketing on how widespread it is and hoe many views it get. JA had widespread marketin, but it was incoherent and showed off nothing but the effects and Mila Tatum. Movies are so expensive now, you cant just show that anymore. The tv spots were convoluted, gave no explanation, it was bad.

- Just didnt look GA friendly. It was too ambitious. Wachowshis is jot a household name and Matrix is over a decade old so will people today really care that its from "the directos of the Matrix?" Especially young adults who were like 8 when Matrix came out.

Into the Storm had more appeal, and we never had a found footage weather movie. NFS is off the video game everyone played. Jupiter always had an uphill battle. When people were already talking shit on Twitter back on Tuesday, that shouldve been red flag right there lol.