Noctis

Noctis' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far...TOP TEN BEGINS

ac9585a9dfb1448cb087e3771249d106.jpg

24. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

"Was all of this legal? Absolutely fucking not."

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese have never been more incredible than they are in the Wolf of Wall Street. It's a brilliant look into the toxic (but addictive) world of money. It's actually a very timely film if you care to listen as the movie feels like a mirror reflecting the current state of affairs in America. It paints a fascinating portrait of how greed corrupts, and the unfair advantage that wealth gives to people when it comes to the law. Great film, and one of 2013's finest. 

anna-hathaway-selina-kyle-catwoman-the-d

23. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

"You're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large...and leave so little for the rest of us."

The Dark Knight Rises is my favorite of the Batman trilogy. Problem? Fuck off. Batman Begins is a decent film, and TDK is great. While The Dark Knight Rises isn't quite as lean as its predecessor and admittedly more messy, it is still nevertheless an epic film. That word gets thrown around a lot, but the scale, ambition, and set pieces of the finale really are epic. I've said it before about Nolan, but he has an incredible quality which allows him to absorb you into his universe. You feel like you're right in it, and you believe in the logistics of the world. 

The acting is great from everyone involved, and in particular Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle. I consider her performance to be the second best in the entire trilogy behind only Heath Ledger's iconic portrayal as the Joker. The Dark Knight Rises was the opposite of The Avengers for me. While that film was overly light-hearted, dull, and lacking in emotion, Rises is ambitious, thoughtful, and thrilling. The last ten minutes of the film ended the trilogy on a spectacular note, and it only gets better with repeat viewings for me. And you know what, too? I loved the Talia twist and her speech about the slow knife was brilliant...the only true flaw of this film was her death scene. Otherwise, though, The Dark Knight Rises is a great achievement in blockbuster filmmaking. 

Suck it, niptickers. 

I agree with both. And I can't believe I had WOWS higher than you :lol:

Ah, but it's so much more than that.

Maybe I should have clarified. I don't mean that it is only that, just that people who enjoy that stuff will enjoy the film as it does have that aspect to it.

Edited by treeroy

Everyone I know who enjoys lowest common denominator entertainment/humour liked Wolf of Wall Street.

I think everyone just likes wolf of wall street, including 'lowest common denominator entertainment' lovers

Edited by jessie

I think everyone just likes wolf of wall street, including 'lowest common denominator entertainment' lovers

Well, while I agree that it appeals to a wide variety of audiences, I wouldn't say everyone.

I hated the film, though I don't know anyone else (IRL) who dislikes it.

Well, while I agree that it appeals to a wide variety of audiences, I wouldn't say everyone.

I hated the film, though I don't know anyone else (IRL) who dislikes it.

I haven't seen it.. but I have a strong feel I would not like it.

a-separation-3.jpg

22. A SEPARATION

"What is wrong is wrong, no matter who said it or where it's written."

A Separation is one of the greatest foreign films ever made, and easily one of the best of the decade. I've only seen it once, but it absolutely left a lasting impression on me. The acting is spectacular from the two leads (and the child actress is surprisingly great, too), and the script is fantastic. The writer(s) of A Separation are incredibly talented due to their seamless ability of dealing with the plight of three protagonists without it ever feeling over-stuffed or insincere. It's rare for any script to manage that. You'll walk away feeling hugely impressed by this courtroom drama, and hopefully have a better understanding of what life in Iran is. I only wish this film was seen by more people, as it brings out the best and most important aspect of cinema: to better understand others. 

frozen.jpg

21. FROZEN

"It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small. The fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all."

I love Frozen. I really, really love Frozen. I would honestly rank it as one of, if not the best Disney animated film (Mulan and Tarzan are the only ones that give it strong competition). I really connected with Elsa's journey, and I know many people in the LGBT community did as well. I remember feeling stunned during Let It Go, as I was completely taken aback by how emotional it made me feel. Frozen's themes about being true to who you are, the pain of holding a lifelong secret, and the overwhelming importance of a person's individuality really hit close to home for me. And thank goodness it was familial (and not romantic) love that saved the day here. I always have a soft spot for films where a younger sister gives solace and understanding to their emotional and more complex older siblings. 

Let It Go is the gayest song in cinematic history, and let no one tell you otherwise. And I mean it in the best way possible. 

• Like 5

I connect with the message Frozen conveys, obviously, but I didn't connect with the actual film.

And I also thought the movie was quite bland, characters were completely unengaging and annoying, it just felt like a generic Disney flick.

the_social_network_12.png

20. THE SOCIAL NETWORK

"You're not an asshole, Mark. You're just trying so hard to be."

It's a shame that The Social Network wasn't able to win Best Picture against The King's Speech at the Oscars, because this would have been one of the few BP winners that were actually deserving. The acting is brilliant from everyone, and especially Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield. I don't think there's another film in this decade that has surpassed The Social Network in terms of dialogue. The dialogue here is sharp beyond comparison (and the script is equally impressive). Fantastic work from Fincher (who has become as dependable as an old friend), and I have very little doubt that the film will be discussed for a very, very long time. 

descendants.png

19. THE DESCENDANTS

"Paradise? Paradise can go fuck itself."

One of my favorite films of 2011, The Descendants is one of the most genuine, hilarious, and touching films to have come out in a long while. The interactions between the characters is one of the absolute best I've seen from any indie film. It's so natural, and not once do you ever feel like the actors are acting. Clooney and Woodley are great here, but they are elevated by such an awesome script that never feels insincere or fake. 

• Like 11