James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (2010)

harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-par

By adapting a the final book in the most popular series ever in two films, Warner Bros started a trend that everbody hurried to follow, but unfortunately, there are very few books that have enough material for two flick and this is one of them. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1' feels like the silence before a storm. It is dark, gloomy and atmospheric. It is a movie that won't leave you happy even if you end up loving it. 

The acting is top notch, the effects keep pace with the story. They are not overbearing, but limited in their quantity and somehow silent. The beginning probably features one of the most emotional scenes in the entire series, with Hermione erasing her parent's memories about her just to keep them safe. Also, this felt very, very different from the other Potters. Hogwarts is no longer the place where the action takes place and even the slightest feeling of safety is now gone. The life on the road is the best opportunity for the characters to grow and this is the reason why, from this perspective, HP: DH 1 is the most mature of the films.

Grade: 93/100

11. Pacific Rim (2013)

pacific_rim_fan_poster_by_crqsf-d66xm3c.

This was BADASS! The concept was very anime-like and I love anime. The movie was pure popocorn fun and it's VFX is among the best I've ever seen. I really digged the night scenes. Most people would snicker that they are a trick for the filming to be cheaper, but they looked fantastic to me, even better than some scenes from 'Transformers', which is a crazy level of good.

Also, having Charlie Hunnam play the main character is another reason why Del Toro nailed this.

I'm so fuckin' pumped for the sequel!

Grade: 94/100

Edited by 69 Shades of James
  • Like 8

Dark of the Moon was approved by and supervised (not the whole movie of course but the 3D stuff) by Cameron.  And it shows.  The base jumping scene in IMAX 3D is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever seen in any film.  And the Chicago scene was terrific.  It was imo one of the best of the decade thus far.

Dark of the Moon was approved by and supervised (not the whole movie of course but the 3D stuff) by Cameron.  And it shows.  The base jumping scene in IMAX 3D is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever seen in any film.  And the Chicago scene was terrific.  It was imo one of the best of the decade thus far.

Completely agree! :shades:

Hmm... some of the movies that will appear in my Top 10 are predictable chioces, but others... I doubt anyone would ever think about them :lol:

Dude, there is nothing predictable about this list.  :)

• Like 1

Hmm... some of the movies that will appear in my Top 10 are predictable chioces, but others... I doubt anyone would ever think about them :lol:

I doubt it. Mainstream/popular movies, sure, but not predictable for a top 10 of the decade. :P

To put it into perspective, I've disagreed with 27 on the list so far and agreed with 5. It's a much more interesting list than most others. :)

• Like 1

10. Jupiter Ascending (2015)

ja_graphic_2764x4096_intl_30.jpg?itok=1r

This is the only 2015 movie on the list and it was really difficult rating it. The story was great, the idea behind it is one of the most daring ever put on screen, but the runtime really hurts it. This should’ve been a 4 hour long movie because the ramifications of this universe are so complex it is mind boggling.

Unlike others, I had no pronlems with the characters and Redmayne’s Balem was just as good as I imagined. He illustrated perfectly how an all powerfull tyrant should be like: cruel, power driven, unstable.

I would have loved to see more of the political aspect though. For example, the scene at the beginning with the three Abrasax  (Balem, Kalique and Titus) meeting and talking about whole plantes like dollar bills was amazing.

The visuals… I’m temped to say I’ve never seen a film such a good VFX. Kalique’s planet was breathtaking and the image was completed by  Michael Giacchino’s sublime score.

Overall, any 2015 release will have a hard time topping this.

maciej-kuciara-ja-battle.jpg?1423529522

10947363_667329493377887_811564465895237

Grade: 95/100     

• Like 2

I doubt it. Mainstream/popular movies, sure, but not predictable for a top 10 of the decade. :P

To put it into perspective, I've disagreed with 27 on the list so far and agreed with 5. It's a much more interesting list than most others. :)

Actually, that's true and not true. Several choices are FAR from mainstream or popular.

9. Pirates of the Caribben: On Stranger Tides (2011)

pirates_of_the_caribbean_on_stranger_tid

There’s no need to say I love this series with a burning passion haha. But even so, ‘On Stranger Tides’ was the weakest of the ‘Pirates’. Depp is impressive, as always, but he needs others to talk to. He carries most of the film by himself, with some help from Geoffrey Rush and Kevin McNally. Penelope Cruz feels charmless after Knightley and Blackbeard is no match for Davy Jones or Cutler Beckett. Also, you feel the lack of Bloom and Davenport.

Another downside is the scope. It’s not even by far as grand and epic as the one in ‘At World’s End’, which was the highlight of the series.

But with all these things going against it, it’s still mighty surprising how enetertaining ‘On Stranger Tides’ can be. It is always funny and action filled, with some very memorable moments (the sirens’ attack).

Also, ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ never needed to better it’s soundtrack (Zimmer already delivered what is probably the most iconic movie score today), but HZ adds some new, fresh themes of which the ‘Jolly Sailor Bold’ one is just magnificent!

Grade: 96/100

• Like 2

Ugh... well, I can't say I didn't expect that.

All the Pirates films are essentially as bad as each other but at the very least, On Stranger Tides is not as terrible as At World's End.

You said you missed Jack Davenport in the film - would you be interested to know that my next door neighbours are his family? (My claim to fame  :lol: )

• Like 2

Ugh... well, I can't say I didn't expect that.

All the Pirates films are essentially as bad as each other but at the very least, On Stranger Tides is not as terrible as At World's End.

You said you missed Jack Davenport in the film - would you be interested to know that my next door neighbours are his family? (My claim to fame  :lol: )

That is sooo awsesome!

• Like 1