James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

I liked Star Trek Into Darkness, I thought it was better than the first one. Though I certainly wouldn't put it in my top 50, maybe top 100 if it was lucky.

Also, while I like Chris Pine, you can't claim that he is "objectively a great actor", James...

for sure he was the missionary, and he looked fine and unmanscaped and I had a crush on him in it  :lol:

pirates4_onstrangertides06.jpg

pirates4_onstrangertides07.jpg

Oh, I didn't realise that was him. And yeah, I can see why some people think he's hot.

• Like 1

12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (2010)

harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-par

By adapting a the final book in the most popular series ever in two films, Warner Bros started a trend that everbody hurried to follow, but unfortunately, there are very few books that have enough material for two flick and this is one of them. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1' feels like the silence before a storm. It is dark, gloomy and atmospheric. It is a movie that won't leave you happy even if you end up loving it. 

The acting is top notch, the effects keep pace with the story. They are not overbearing, but limited in their quantity and somehow silent. The beginning probably features one of the most emotional scenes in the entire series, with Hermione erasing her parent's memories about her just to keep them safe. Also, this felt very, very different from the other Potters. Hogwarts is no longer the place where the action takes place and even the slightest feeling of safety is now gone. The life on the road is the best opportunity for the characters to grow and this is the reason why, from this perspective, HP: DH 1 is the most mature of the films.

Grade: 93/100

11. Pacific Rim (2013)

pacific_rim_fan_poster_by_crqsf-d66xm3c.

This was BADASS! The concept was very anime-like and I love anime. The movie was pure popocorn fun and it's VFX is among the best I've ever seen. I really digged the night scenes. Most people would snicker that they are a trick for the filming to be cheaper, but they looked fantastic to me, even better than some scenes from 'Transformers', which is a crazy level of good.

Also, having Charlie Hunnam play the main character is another reason why Del Toro nailed this.

I'm so fuckin' pumped for the sequel!

Grade: 94/100

Finally not one, but two movies I can agree are great.

• Like 1

7. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

The-Hobbit-Smaug-Poster.jpg

This was easily my most anticipted movie of 2013 and it did not disappoint. It’s really hard to differentiate between these chapters because essentially the three movies form a big one, just like LOTR, but I got so hyped for the first glimpse of Smaug, and seeing him in all his enormity in IMAX (which, by the way, is the second biggest screen of this type in the world, behind only the one in Sydney) really blew my mind. It was just insane. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a CGI creature so well made. It was incredible, it was frightening.

From some points of view this is the best part of the trilogy. The story evolves the most and so do the characters but, in the end, it somehow feels like ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows –Part 1’ – the silence before the storm.

The best character (Smaug aside) was Thranduil, followed closely by Tauriel. I loved them. Elves are such fascinating and complex beings.

This also features what I think it is the most exquisite new piece of music in the trilogy:

Grade: 97/100

• Like 2

7. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

The-Hobbit-Smaug-Poster.jpg

This was easily my most anticipted movie of 2013 and it did not disappoint. It’s really hard to differentiate between these chapters because essentially the three movies form a big one, just like LOTR, but I got so hyped for the first glimpse of Smaug, and seeing him in all his enormity in IMAX (which, by the way, is the second biggest screen of this type in the world, behind only the one in Sydney) really blew my mind. It was just insane. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a CGI creature so well made. It was incredible, it was frightening.

From some points of view this is the best part of the trilogy. The story evolves the most and so do the characters but, in the end, it somehow feels like ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows –Part 1’ – the silence before the storm.

The best character (Smaug aside) was Thranduil, followed closely by Tauriel. I loved them. Elves are such fascinating and complex beings.

This also features what I think it is the most exquisite new piece of music in the trilogy:

*hugs* to James. 

• Like 1

6. Imaginaerum (2012)

poster_1.jpg

I’ve never seen a movie that delivers a stronger emotional punch than ‘Imaginaerum’. It’s one of the only three films that ever made me tear up and boy oh boy did I tear up. It connected on so many levels because it’s the story of everyone of us. Because we all have a family and we all know that sometime, maybe not today or tomorrow, but some day the people we love will pass on.

From a technical POV, the imagery for this is just mind fucking. The whole movie looks like a painting. Probably the best cinematography I’ve ever seen.

And the soundtrack… the soundtrack is just gorgeous and it makes the message so much stronger. It is fluid and sad and sorrowful and it plays wih your feelings. One of the most beautiful things I've heard in my life.

tumblr_mw8wo1LPwD1qe89qio1_500.gif

tumblr_mm9zww11Pk1qm74tho5_r1_500.gif

imaginaerum_panorama-web.jpg

• Like 1

5. Total Recall (2012)

Total-Recall-film-recenzia-2012-Movie-Po

This is the highest rated SF on the list and my second favourite science-fiction movie ever, behind only ‘War of the Worlds’. The Philip K. Dick adaptation is sublime when it comes to world building. The VFX describes what is probably the most interesting future scenario ever put on screen. In fact, this is what makes of ‘Total Recall’ such a good film for me. That world, the way it looks, it’s just how I imagine the future when I close my eyes.

The story is also engaging: what is real and what is not?

Acting wise, it’s hard to find two better leads than Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale. The chemistry between them is really good. Also, seeing Kate kick ass (awesome!)…

Also, it’s not part of the movie’s OST, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I listen to this I start visualizing the world in a similar way ‘Total Recall’ describes it (it’s mind blowing):

Total-Recall-Movie-2012.jpg

Grade: 98/100

Edited by 69 Shades of James