James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

Watched Man of Steel last night, what a misfire that was and a snore. I was happy because last night I conviced my buddy who liked it its a bad movie. He left sad. Superman doesn't speak until 48 minutes in. Im pretty sure the guy from Law & Order has more lines. 

And also of course you need Nachos and a beer to watch Taken 2. You need something to pay attention too. 

Yeah he went in all excited. He had seen it 2 times before so he asked me to do a play by play commentary on why its bad. About 20 minutes in he stared to join in. I wish we recorded it. I had a great time. Poor guy. 

Honestly first mistake of filmmaking in MOS 20 minute intro on Krypton. There is an 12 minute/page rule for setting up for prologue/intro action scene . EVERY movie follows it, MOS just throws sooo much shit at you in the beginning, its so much to take in and there is no build up to spectacle no awe moment because its nothing but money shots. 

Just imagine if the whole time we were with them sending Kal off to earth and maybe intercutting with politics but the first big money shot was his mom walking out and seeing all the destruction. That would be jaw dropping, but its not because we've seen 150 VFX shots already. The reason the pull up to island in JP works so well is that the movie has 0 money shots before it, so when it comes its grand. 

18. Diary of a Whimpy Kid 2: Roderick Rules (2011)

Diary_Of_A_Wimpy_Kid__Rodrick_Rules_2011

This is the highest rated comedy in this top and one of my favourites ever, behind only classics like 'Home Alone' or 'The Addams Family'. It is just a light hearted, fun ride, where the little kid learns how to be bad from the big bro. :lol:  I've seen it many time and Devon Bostik's character really grew on me. He is awesome! Jeff Kinney really managed to create a series that can serve as a source of entertainment for people all ages.

Grade: 89/100

17. Inception (2010)

Inception-movie-poster-2-411x600.jpg

This is Nolan's best movie (and the first one with a grade of 90/100) and pretty much a masterpiece in the true sense of the word. Brilliantly acted, well directed, visually stunning and overall mindfucking, 'Inception', just like 'interstellar', is one of those movie really worth waiting for. I can't really find a flaw to this flick, execution wise, so the only reason it is not higher on the chart is that I rank movies by the overall level of enjoyment and fun I get from them (so the execution is pretty much secondary to me - if after a movie I feel satisfied, then that was a very good film, no matter how many plot holes or bad acting it had) and there are movies I enjoyed more.

Also, anyone listening to Zimmer's soundtrack for this and not agreeing it is genius really needs to have their ears examined.

Grade: 90/100

Edited by 69 Shades of James
  • Like 2

Throw all that Syd Field shit away, man. It fuckin' ruins movies. There is no formula to follow... years and years of generic classes teaching this stupid formula have made generations of lousy screenwriters who follow the formula. THERE IS NO FORMULA. The best writers and directors don't give a damn about following anything.... and that's why they're great.

Preach

• Like 2

18. Diary of a Whimpy Kid 2: Roderick Rules (2011)

Diary_Of_A_Wimpy_Kid__Rodrick_Rules_2011

This is the highest rated comedy in this top and one of my favourites ever, behind only classics like 'Home Alone' or 'The Addams Family'. It is just a light hearted, fun ride, where the little kid learns how to be bad from the big bro. :lol:  I've seen it many time and Devon Bostik's character really grew on me. He is awesome! Jeff Kinney really managed to create a series that can serve as a source of entertainment for people all ages.

Grade: 89/100

17. Inception (2010)

Inception-movie-poster-2-411x600.jpg

This is Nolan's best movie (and the first one with a grade of 90/100) and pretty much a masterpiece in the true sense of the word. Brilliantly acted, well directed, visually stunning and overall mindfucking, 'Inception', just like 'interstellar', is one of those movie really worth waiting for. I can't really find a flaw to this flick, execution wise, so the only reason it is not higher on the chart is that I rank movies by the overall level of enjoyment and fun I get from them (so the execution is pretty much secondary to me - if after a movie I feel satisfied, then that was a very good film, no matter how many plot holes or bad acting it had) and there are movies I enjoyed more.

Also, anyone listening to Zimmer's soundtrack for this and not agreeing it is genius really needs to have his ears examined.

Best post so far. Rodrick Rules is awesome, and I don't even need to get into what I think of Inception 

• Like 1

Its a screenwriting rule.

And watch the runtime from now on when you watch movies its always 11 - 13 minutes. Always. Im constantly looking at the runtime when I watch movies at my house and 90% follow it.

First 3 examples in my head, all 3 Indy movies intro is exactly 12 minutes, so is both of JJ's intro action beats in Star Trek. Also in Star Wars it takes 12 minutes for the droids to land on tattoine and so on.

The only rule for an intro/prologue is that it should be as long as it needs to be. Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

I approve of Inception... It being so low, though, is extremely worrying.

Just one thing about Inception that I absolutely loathed :

the Billboard ad campaigns were FULL of incredible dream images that were never into the movie.

Fuck You Warner for  all that false advertsing.

Edited by A Grey Future
  • Like 3

16. Chronicle (2012)

Copy-of-Chronicle-poster.jpg

Why is this movie so high? Because it represents everything I ever wanted. To have that kind of power is my biggest dream. I also like the way the characters evolved, in a very realistic way. DeHaan is becoming more and more one of the highlights of Hollywood for me (he was also the bast part about TASM 2) and the "darkening" of his character was a very relatable situation. A lot of people I know, myself included, would have reacted the same way he did.

15. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-650x979

I went to see this with three of my best friends and we were so blown by it that an entire hour after it was done we couldn't stop talking about it. That tease of Smaug at the end of it made my heart jump. I love LOTR.No surprise there. They are the best movies ever made and I had very high hopes for 'The Hobbit'. Were they met? Mostly. The material is not epic enough for them to reach LOTR levels of quality, but the worst of anything Tolkien is still better than 99% of the movies coming out today.

With great performances, an incredible soundtrack and a huge feeling of nostalgia, 'The Hobbit' opens the road for one of the most thrilling adventure rides ever put on screen.

Grade: 91/100

• Like 5

This countdown is really making me appreciate Lisa's more.  It makes one really long for a write-up on 3 minute YT video of a rollerskating hobo reciting Nietzsche.

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

• Like 1