21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Coraline

I'm a huge fan of Henry Selick, and the visuals of this film are worth the price of admission.alone, but the story really isn't all that interesting and Coraline isn't a very likable character. It transitions from a morality tale to this weird video game narrative halfway through and I really wasn't sure what the point of the adventure ultimately was. But again, great visuals make it worth viewing.

B

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Beautiful animation is something I can't resist; the story though wasn't good enough to get an "A" from me. Ok, Gaiman's book is a children- or early teenager horror story, so I expected it not to be that frightening, but the film had definitely some lengths. I also remember that the sound and voice work (which are even more important for animation) weren't that good.Technical POV: Probably the best puppet animation I ever saw. For people interested in this technique an article from the animation world network.

god god god, the animation with the lights was so fantastic, i almost forget about the story, which was spooky enough i suppose, but the way the animation draws you in to this world is...i don't know. wow.

8/10

Creatively indie in style, tiredly mainstream in substance. Story feels like an afterthought, an excuse to create dazzling sequences, really. Still better than most animated films being released today. 65/100

Edited by Goffe