Impact

Best Actor predictions-2015

On 13/12/2015, 5:09:45, filmlover said:

His presumed "desperation" comes from the fact he works only with the most accomplished filmmakers more than anything else (directors he's worked with just over the past decade: Scorsese, Zwick, Scott, Mendes, Nolan, Eastwood, Tarantino, Luhrmann, Inarritu). Like, would it kill ya to make some dumb mainstream comedy or appear in a summer blockbuster even in a supporting role, Leo? No actor working today is as picky as he is.

Yeah but because he hasn't turn down Scorsese to do a stoner comedy with Seth Rogen doesn't mean he does stuffy award baits. Inception was a summer blockbuster after all,  Tarantino and Luhrman are mainstream favoites more than oscar darlings. Even most of his Scorsese collaborations were straight-up genre movies (Departed, Shutter Island) or completely out of the ordinary (WOWS), they became "awards movies" because Scorsese's status is so huge, he can get any movie into the oscar race. 

• Like 1

It looks like the nominees will be

Di Caprio - Revenant

Redmayne - danish girl

Damon - Martian

Fassbender - Steve Jobs

Cranston - Trumbo

But I would love to see B. Jordan for Creed and Hanks for Bridge of Spies instead of Cranston and Redmayne.

17 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think Steve Carell takes the fifth spot. It's between him and Cranston, maybe Depp.

I forgot about Carrell! :wacko:

He is a strong contender also. Definitely over Cranston and Redmayne. Fassbender is vulnerable. Only two names with secure noms are Damon and Di Caprio. And even Damon isn't locked.

Lock

Di Caprio

Strong candidate

Damon

Good bets

Fassbender

Carrell

Fighting for a spot

Cranston

Redmayne

B Jordan

Hanks (unlikely, but I can dream)

2 minutes ago, Impact said:

I could see Smith getting in also-even if he basically has lost most of his popularity now (well he is apparently a huge jerk also now)

Smith is not happening. Box office isn't big enough, reception to his movie not strong enough, and there are other viable, more visible contenders in the field.

• Like 1

Steve Carell, The Big Short

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo

Matt Damon, The Martian

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs

I think DiCaprio and Fassbender are near-locks at this point. Damon doesn't have a SAG nom, but I think his film is popular enough with most Academy voters that he'll in. Steve Carell is far from a lock, but he's getting raves for his work and The Big Short is starting to look like a big hit with voters. Between Cranston and Redmayne I think Cranston will pull through simply because Trumbo has more buzz and Cranston playing a major historical Hollywood figure appeals to Academy voters moreso than Redmayne's character. Depp is unlikely at this point, and while Jordan is a dark horse considering his NSFC win but I wouldn't bet on him getting in. Smith, Caine and Hanks are pretty much done.

Most likely final:

Steve Carrell for The Big Short

Matt Damon for The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant

Michael Fassbender for Steve Jobs

Eddie Redmayne for The Danish Girl

Alt: Bryan Cranston for Trumbo

Though I'm close to getting rid of Redmayne, I could see Depp getting in also. Smith as I said earlier has some problems with the film not doing as well (well likely due to how Smith has went from the loved hip actor to a jerk nobody likes as well as controversy from the NFL but those are other stories).

• Like 1

so far my favs

LEO for the revenant 

matt damon for the martian

depp for black mass

adam driver for star wars tfa

john cusack for love and mercy 

granted i haven't seen redmayne , or fassbender , or will smith or cranston movies ....

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1