Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

At some point I want to do my list. Just have to formulate it to my finalized top 100. That will take awhile. :lol:

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. You think of a great film, you write it down. You think of another one, you compare the two and write it down either higher or lower. And keep doing it until you run out of movies :P

The hard bit is making sure you haven't missed anything.

Then once you're done you just take the highest 100.

• Like 1

Very good list.

Just out of interest, do you also consider LOA to be the 'best' film ever made also, or is it just your favourite film (albeit it a very good one)?

A mix of both. I think all of us bring an aspect of us and what we like when we try to be "objective" about "the best". And honestly, there are such a huge range of genres that trying to make some specific distinction between the very best of each is relatively impossible (at least, if we're trying to be purely subjective).

I don't think any film is perfect. What I consider LOA's flaws are so minor that they have little bearing on the movie as a whole. But, in terms of the case for LOA as "best": It works as a small-scale character study, it works as a huge epic. It takes the time to explore Lawrence's character in a way that an intimate drama would, and it's mature enough to recognize that a man can contain multitudes, and even contradictions, that can't be easily reconciled. The movie succeeds tremendously at what I think is the basic point of cinema: to transport to you another world (even if it's a familiar one... and in this case the world is more exotic than most). When you break it down into its various elements: acting, cinematography, music, editing, etc -- all of these are exemplary and in fact very influential to movies in general. It stands as a pillar of achievement that everyone now aspires to.

• Like 4

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. You think of a great film, you write it down. You think of another one, you compare the two and write it down either higher or lower. And keep doing it until you run out of movies :P

Hmm, I disagree, I found the back-end of my list pretty tough.... because there are so many close and valid choices. If I revisited this list later, it'd probably be different (I've already listed a bunch of the almosts.)

• Like 2

I have already started a few days ago and it is hard making the back end like Tele said. I have seen so many great flicks in my life that it is hard leaving any off. :lol:
  • Like 2

I have already started a few days ago and it is hard making the back end like Tele said. I have seen so many great flicks in my life that it is hard leaving any off. :lol:

I know the feeling :)

I'm doing my 100 since 2000 list and I am switching the lower 50 around quite a bit :P

I don't think I will do a 100 best ever as well, since I am very aware that I haven't seen a huge amount of movies pre-2000.

• Like 1

Titanic got robbed ... 6 Cameron movies out of seven, not bad.

How many Spielbergs ?

3 Mctiernans : niiiiiiiiice.

Mad max 1> Mad Max 2 ? Weird, Me and every fan I know consider Mad Max 2 one to be of the most amazing thing ever put on celluloid.

The Alien Queen of Aliens is the most beautiful monster in the history of film, I ll always remember the scene when Ripley discovers the other Angry Mother for the first time. You first hear a deep heavy breath then the camera pans and shows you the Queen in all its glory.

Oh and aliens almost invented the FPS game genre : the Go pro FPS view, the sensors and maps, the sound of the sensors, the weapons and how they are attached to the soldiers. Also, Aliens had the FIRST mecha in a live action film. The World building Cameron did for Aliens was stagering.

But hey, Aliens is my favourite movie.

Also, Lawrence of Arabia is on every top ten list of every feminist around the world. This movie doesn t have one single word spoke by a woman, this movie is the biggest sausage fest ever put on film.

Edited by A Grey Future

No Alien ? That s one seminal film Tele to put it out of a top 100.

It s amazing that 37 years after its release, Alien is still the most fantastic monster in the history of film.

Giger was a Genius.

• Like 1

?

Oops, I meant Mad Max 2 > Mad Max 1, you prefer the original to the sequel ?

I think I am fucking this up, Road Warrior is Mad Max 2, right ?

Edited by A Grey Future
  • Like 1