Olive

Weekend Estimates: Insurgent 54m | Cinderella $34.5m pg 29

Does Lionsgate distribute it overseas though?

I have no idea but a budget is allocated to a film based on what they think it will make here, there and everywhere, plus what they think it will do on HV, how much they will get for TV rights and for merchandise.  So regardless of who distributes overseas, if it increases world wide, then it has done well.

Baumer, overseas bo of Insurgent is irrelevant.

Look at out Deadline numbers for MJ1.

Lionsgate has already sold the distribution rights ( theatrical, video, tv) to local distributors.

Whether Insurgent does 150m os or 400 m changes nothing.

Baumer, overseas bo of Insurgent is irrelevant.

Look at out Deadline numbers for MJ1.

Lionsgate has already sold the distribution rights ( theatrical, video, tv) to local distributors.

Whether Insurgent does 150m os or 400 m changes nothing.

That is so not true.  Of course it matters.  The rights may have already been sold but that doesn't mean they won't charge more next time if it makes a lot of money internationally.

You weren't so into THG I recall.

So.....

• Like 1

Why? Why this film? What is it about Divergent that causes so much hate here?

Teenage girls like it. That makes it evil to some.

This and the stupid "my franchise is better than your franchise" thing :P

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

Maybe but if Insurgent makes 400m os, Lionsgate won t see a dime from it.

Negociating the rights for the next episode is an entirely different discussion.

But don't you think they already took that into consideration when they sold the rights?  And how much do you think the rights sold for?  Probably a pretty penny or else LG wouldn't have sold them.  So of course it matters how much it makes overseas.  

And TV rights are not sold until the gross is finalized.  Usually domestically, it's 12% of the NA gross.  

• Like 1

Maybe but if Insurgent makes 400m os, Lionsgate won t see a dime from it.

Negociating the rights for the next episode is an entirely different discussion.

Better to get some cash from selling os rights, than not releasing it there and getting nothing at all. ;)

Edited by Mojoguy

Better to get some cash from selling os rights, than not releasing it there and getting nothing at all. ;)

Well, they don t have a choice anyway, opening offices for distribution in every country is a long and expensive process.

Evén some big studios don t have offices in some countries.

I have no idea but a budget is allocated to a film based on what they think it will make here, there and everywhere, plus what they think it will do on HV, how much they will get for TV rights and for merchandise.  So regardless of who distributes overseas, if it increases world wide, then it has done well.

That's great for the studio then, but as I keep saying, I'm not a studio. I'm only interested how films do in a few markets.

• Like 1

That's great for the studio then, but as I keep saying, I'm not a studio. I'm only interested how films do in a few markets.

But it's not a one time thing.  They need for it to do well internationally so that they can perhaps charge more next time.  Kind of like a sports star in a contract year.  You want to put up good numbers so that when you negotiate your next contract, you can ask for more.