Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

Home: what a pleasant surprise. Yet again another movie everyone judges by the trailers, when the movie is not about what the trailers suggest. I went in not expecting too much, but It was surpsingly funny and genuine. I dont like Big Bang, but Jim Parsons nailed Oh. Rihanna wasnt bad either. Had no idea J Lo was in it. Everythug Steve Martin said was funny.

For all of you criticizing the "bathroom humor"...there was like 2 jokes. Most of the jokes were meta and fish out of water style. Im glad it broke out. It was enjoyable and something kids will love. It wasnt a slpastick juvenile cartoon like the trailer suggests, it was actually pretty sweet and delivered some good messages.

The RT score is bullshit. See it for yourself. Kick some BO ass Home.

B.

• Like 5

I keep hearing "beloved" get thrown around in reference to this film or that. "XYZ is beloved, so XYZ2 will be a big hit." I've never figured out how people are able to determine whether or not a certain film from only a few years ago is "beloved."

I've heard that term applied to Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Star Trek '09, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Anchorman, yet none of their respective sequels broke out domestically the way they were "supposed" to. (On the flip side, I don't recall hearing Despicable Me being referred to as "beloved", and yet DM2 broke out to the tune of over $350 million domestic.)

The Panda may have a point, just because the original is a hit doesn't necessarily mean the GA is chomping at the bit for anything beyond that one stand-alone story. For example, maybe audiences just wanted the story of a boy befriending a dragon and convincing his village that they are not creatures to be feared. Maybe they weren't clamoring for an epic saga. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed HTTYD2 and is looking forward to HTTYD3.

(Which reminds me, I don't care if Home is good or bad, I'm still glad to see it succeed so that they can stay in business long enough to complete HTTYD3. I am not going to root for a movie to fail, and more people to potentially lose their jobs, in the vain hope that it will "teach" the executives a "lesson" that they should make "better" movies. Because from what I can tell, things never actually work that way in Hollywood.)

Some films just click with audiences making want a sequel. Both KFP2 and HTTYD2 had other factors too such as bad release dates. While Home has proven to be the boost that DWA needed, I hope Katzenberg doesn't see it as business as usual because it's not as we saw with The Croods being successful then Turbo being a flop. We'll need to see Home's OS performance and legs before justifying a sequel or a TV spin-off.

• Like 1

That's actually kinda cool (even though I've never seen the show. Good for you Tele!

even if he is an editor, he's a bit one hour photo about it. staring at those kids all day. living vicariously through their tv lives. I worry for them.

• Like 5

First Paddington, then Spongebob (although I predicted it doing well but not this well) and now Home, this forum is underestimating kids movies badly. We are all turning into a bunch of grumpy young Teles.

I only thought Home would do bad. It just looked dismal and DWA has done poorly in recent years. Glad it'll probably leg its way to $200-220 million! 

I actually was bullish on Paddington and SpongeBob 2. Predicted $95 million and $175 million respectively for them - a week before release. 

I only thought Home would do bad. It just looked dismal and DWA has done poorly in recent years. Glad it'll probably leg its way to $200-220 million! 

I actually was bullish on Paddington and SpongeBob 2. Predicted $95 million and $175 million respectively for them - a week before release. 

Don't get ahead of yourself. This will probably perform closer to the Rio movies than Big Hero 6. 

• Like 1

Tele gets to work closely with one of the original Talk Soup (aka what The Soup on E! was before Joel McHale took over it) hosts/one of the stars of the controversial Showtime series Queer as Folk/the elevator guy from Spider-Man 2. Tele's got it made.

• Like 1

Big Bang Theory just isn't funny. I could post the infamous "remove the laugh track" video but really why bother? It's banal humor where I can't even crack a smile

I've never gotten it. I thought I was missing something, but it's always been condescending trash to me.

• Like 1

Here is the issue with that video though, the show needs to pause for the laugh track. It is the same with Lego movie or Guardians or 22JS. Watch them without an audience in the theater and you basically have pauses where it can effectively say "Insert laugh track". Having been to 3 different BBTepisode tapings, I can assure you that the laughs are actually genuine. The audience is having a good time in the taping and laughing where they need to laugh.

That's true, but even so, personally, even with a laugh track, I don't find it funny. I'm friends with so many people who like it but I just don't get it.

Doesn't mean I scream at them to know their senators though.

• Like 1

First Paddington, then Spongebob (although I predicted it doing well but not this well) and now Home, this forum is underestimating kids movies badly. We are all turning into a bunch of grumpy young Teles.

Amen.

The Big Bang Theory only began to get so much flack because it became the ratings monster that its detractors wished their own favorites had become. There is, like, nothing about it worthy of so much derision, it's comfort food sitcom fare like I said earlier.

• Like 5