ironrobertman

Is Disney Scaring Every Other Studio In Sight?

Every studio except Disney is becoming very desperate. Especially animation studios. 

I mean Disney will rule this May with an iron fist. DWA moved KFP3 from Dec into March merely because of Star Wars and The Good Dinosaur. DWA is willing to compete with Pets, Zootopia, Allegiant Pt. 1, and BvS other than Star Wars. Disney has CA: CW and AIW2 for next May along with Finding Dory 3 weeks after AIW2. Disney has DWA's Trolls sandwiched with Doctor Strange and Moana with Rogue One in December. I hope DWA figures out something to help Trolls because Moana is incredibly dangerous to their survival. Disney gets so much worse in summer 2017. We got Guardians 2 with Star Wars VIII in May. Toy Story 4 in June along with Universal unleashing DM3. I just realized that Sony was so desperate for a release date for their Smurfs reboot, they put it on March 31 2017. Another animated movie opens a week after with Beauty and the Beast 2 weeks prior and another animated movie 3 weeks prior. 

• Like 2

The other studios can cope with Disney just fine even though they have lots of franchises, the other studios also has lots of franchises and also release films which Disney generally doesn't release which can be successful e.g. Gone Girl and American Sniper.

I wouldn't say it's just Disney that's ruling, but tentpoles in general. Disney probably has the most franchises and tentpoles films, but other studios will probably be able to cope if they are able to figure out how to release their films year round, instead of trying to pack the summer and winter seasons.

• Like 4

Lol of course Walt Disney liked this. No, no one is scared of Disney nor are they desperate. Get real. Disney just has the biggest corproate backing and is one of the biggest companies in the world, of course it makes things easier.

Warner has plenty of properties. DC, Harry Potter, Lego, New Line, etc. They always invest in their shit: look at Pan, look at San Andreas, look at Mad Max. That is why Warner always finishes 1 or 2 every year, so they have noting to worry about. At-all.

Universal is steadily growing its portfolio. There are THREE Universal movies that could hit $1b this year. They have Fast, Jurassic Park, Illumination (which is doing better than DWA and WDAS), all their movie monsters, they have Universal Studios backing, Bourne, 50 Shades, Purge, King Kong, and theyre producing hit after hit mid range comedies. IMO Universal has the biggest potential.

Paramount is doing fine, they have plenty of properties. Nickelodeon, MTV, Turtles, Paranormal Activity, Terminator, Transformers, Star Trek, etc. If they ever get in big trouble, they have Viacom to help, and many of their smaller movies are cheaper, so theyre making money.

Same with Fox. They may not have the blockbusters year end and out like WB and Disney, but theyre doing fine with their mid range hits. They have Avatar, Apes, the endless X-Men, DWA, Blue Sky, etc. Despite their lack of major IP's and their reputation for "cheapness", they finished #1 last year and are currently 2nd this year.

Sony is not where they want to be, but theyre doing fine enough. They dont have many blockbusters either, but blockbusters usually dont make money because theyre so expensive. They spent $40m on Sex Tape and it still brought in $126M. Theyll be fine. They finished #1 in 2012, theyre not in as dire of a state as people think.

Lionsgate is slowly building properties. They may not be huge, but theyre doing well for what they do. Theyre fine as well.

The last time Disney finished #1 do estically was 2003, and every major studio has finished #1 at least once since then except for Universal. Disney may rule WW, but their movies are still expensive as hell so its negating some. So to sum this up, all the studios are doing fine respectively. If anything this just means we'll start getting bigger and better movies in the off months, but something will eventually give. Zootopia is not guaranteed to beat Universals Pet's. Toy Story is not guaranteed to top DM3. And Star Wars 8 wont be as big as 7. Theres no denying Disney is king in the properties department, but they have no one shuttering in fear. Get real.

• Like 4

They haven't won a year since 2003 so they must be terrifying everyone else  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Disney is winning years. They're making the most profit per movie released and they're making the most profits in general. Releasing the most films in a year and having the highest box office because you released the most films in a year is not winning the year.

• Like 1

Lol of course Walt Disney liked this. No, no one is scared of Disney nor are they desperate. Get real. Disney just has the biggest corproate backing and is one of the biggest companies in the world, of course it makes things easier.

The last time Disney finished #1 do estically was 2003, and every major studio has finished #1 at least once since then except for Universal. Disney may rule WW, but their movies are still expensive as hell so its negating some. So to sum this up, all the studios are doing fine respectively.

Your analysis is just way off. This is an article that will give you a different perspective on what is really going on:

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/a-specter-is-haunting-Hollywood

The link to the article was not posted by me. It was posted by Telemachos. So no one should accuse me of trying to use biased articles as proof. It gives a much better perspective on how each studio is really doing. The minute I start seeing people talk about how well WB is doing, I know that they haven't read the above article.

Edited by Walt Disney

Interesting article, but I'm not sure how much of it's 100W% accurate. Still thanks for posting it Walt, had no idea Fox and WB could potentially have been doing that poorly, overall.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Well, the way they already took all May s first week ends until 2019 shows how ambitious and agressive they are.

Avengers 2

Cap Am Civil War

Guardians 2

Infinity Wars 1 &2

Their portfolio of brands is second to none even if Warner is doing the DC thing, they lack in animation despite the Lego thing, Disney has two big animation brands.

Someone said on this forum that movies are referred in the book Cloud Atlas as Dineys and that s what is kinda happenning.

With that being said, people speculate about how Disney could buy another studio but I am not sure the menace will come from Disney.

In 5 years or so, I could see one of the Internet giants becoming new competition for the big six : Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, one of these big players is bound to do something in movies, buying a studio or creating one from scratch. Google and Apple especially are super rich and wealthy so they have plenty of billions to invest in ...

Edited by The Futurist

Your analysis is just way off. This is an article that will give you a different perspective on what is really going on:

The link to the article was not posted by me. It was posted by Telemachos. So no one should accuse me of trying to use biased articles as proof. It gives a much better perspective on how each studio is really doing. The minute I start seeing people talk about how well WB is doing, I know that they haven't read the above article.

I read the article not only is it unsourced but on the disney point it seems biased. It mentions Disney shelling out huge sums to purchase Ip's yet somehow its immune to the profitability movie on blockbusters that impacts all the other major studios, if anything that would put Disney in more trouble as to justify its huge purchases its blockbusters have to do even better than everyone else

• Like 2

Im not reading sll that right now, but this thread is still stupid. Disney is not making everyone shit themselves in fear, and you shouldnt want it to be that way. There needs to be the Big 7, not the Big 2.

I didn t do the maths but once the Star Wars machine starts rolling, Disney will be the studio with the most tentpoles released each year.

So other Studios will kinda always have a Disney tentpole to compete with on every big OW of each year.

Lets reply to this all at once.

I don't care what studio's doing the best. I care which are producing the best, and right now that's not Disney outside of animation and some of the Marvel entries. 

That's your own opinion and you're entitled to it. It doesn't really have much to do with the topic of the thread because quality is subjective.

I read the article not only is it unsourced but on the disney point it seems biased. It mentions Disney shelling out huge sums to purchase Ip's yet somehow its immune to the profitability movie on blockbusters that impacts all the other major studios, if anything that would put Disney in more trouble as to justify its huge purchases its blockbusters have to do even better than everyone else

Disney did take a risk by purchasing expensive IPs, but they are making that money back with profits. However, that's not the point. The point is that you're wrong about Disney not winning years. They are winning where it counts. They just don't release the most films each year, so they shouldn't have the highest box office. Your definition of winning the year is wrong.

For further reading and sources, you can check out The Hollywood reporter's year in review of studio profitability, either at their website or see the HV sales thread where Terrestrial linked to it.

Wait they didn't win in 2010 when they had TS3 and AIW go 1-2? Or 2012 with Avengers?

Yes, you are correct about TS3 and TA. But, what they are trying to say is that winning the year is the studio that has the highest total box office each year when all the movies are added up. Even if that means saying a studio that released 20 films won because their movies grossed more than a studio that released 12 films.

Im not reading sll that right now, but this thread is still stupid. Disney is not making everyone shit themselves in fear, and you shouldnt want it to be that way. There needs to be the Big 7, not the Big 2.

I can only present you with some new facts. You're welcome to absorb them when time permits. However, I felt it was better to present the article instead of saying that WB is not doing well at all. It saves an argument that would surely ensue because now you can see how each studio is really doing.

HOw can you clearly determine that they are making the most profits we don't have nearly enough info. You are just claiming Disney won the year use no actual data to determine that fact just trust my word. The article itself does the exact same thing using out of context quotes and conjecture to reinforce a narrative provide hard data about the profits of the movie studios and  only the movie studios, not the parent company's, over the last decade using your own Hollywood reporter article "Thanks to the global success of Frozen, a 2013 release, Disney was most profitable among the Big 6 studios in 2014 with $1.7 billion — marking the first year since THR began its analysis in 2010 that Warner Bros. hasn't claimed the top spot." So  Warner is generally more profitable than Disney what are you exactly are you arguing. You further argue that Disney releases less movies but these movies are almost entirely tentpoles and when they fail the studio is demolished revist mars needs moms and John Carter for evidence of that, the two biggest bombs of the modern day by far.This thread is not a subjective one but one that should be based on hard data, the fact is Disney is not doing significantly better than the other studios and citing one clearly biased article without nay data is no proof of anything.

• Like 3

HOw can you clearly determine that they are making the most profits we don't have nearly enough info. You are just claiming Disney won the year use no actual data to determine that fact just trust my word. The article itself does the exact same thing using out of context quotes and conjecture to reinforce a narrative provide hard data about the profits of the movie studios and  only the movie studios, not the parent company's, over the last decade using your own Hollywood reporter article "Thanks to the global success of Frozen, a 2013 release, Disney was most profitable among the Big 6 studios in 2014 with $1.7 billion — marking the first year since THR began its analysis in 2010 that Warner Bros. hasn't claimed the top spot." So  Warner is generally more profitable than Disney what are you exactly are you arguing. You further argue that Disney releases less movies but these movies are almost entirely tentpoles and when they fail the studio is demolished revist mars needs moms and John Carter for evidence of that, the two biggest bombs of the modern day by far.This thread is not a subjective one but one that should be based on hard data, the fact is Disney is not doing significantly better than the other studios and citing one clearly biased article without nay data is no proof of anything.

I can clearly determine that Disney made the most profits last year. That is something that you originally said they hadn't done since 2003. I proved that that was not true.

Again, all the facts were presented to you. The article that Telemachos originally linked to, which I linked to above, shows you how certain studios (WB, Fox) mask their weak studio profits by lumping the numbers in with their TV production revenue. That helps you to understand the THR numbers better, so that some studios don't seem like they are doing better than they actually are when it comes to BO profits and winning years. This goes directly to a studio like WB, which tops THR's list in previous years b/c they lump in TV production revenue. But, you want to pretend that the article is biased or inaccurate b/c it shows how well WB is really doing....which isn't that well.....which you can't handle.

If you want to falsely believe that Disney is not doing as well as all the numbers say that they are, then you can. However, by using all objective standards, they are doing the best overall. If nothing else, they were clearly the number one studio last year. And that was my main point in response to your false claim that they haven't been number one in years. We do have enough facts to definitively state that.

Edited by Walt Disney