CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

I originally predicted 325m for this about a year ago, the fact I may have under predicted it is just insane. If this hits 400m, i'll always stand by saying TDK wouldn't have hit 400m, let alone 500m without Ledger's death.

Lol

Think it will reach $150 million?

Uh no. 120m if lucky

• Like 2

Plus, the wom will be excellent because let s face it, the emotionnal beat at the end will work on EVERYBODY, saying goodbye to a character in a film whose actor has died in real life, I think it has never happenned before.

So, of course, everybody is sad.

None of the other Fast movies had that unique element.

And of course, batshit crazy action scenes but that s a given.

• Like 1

History is not full of exceptions, right?

Wait, what does this even mean? I was agreeing with your general point. I was just arguing the way you were going about presenting your argument. 

Just recognized, that Michelle Rodriguez is a very lucky girl. She really should thank the person, that made the deal for F&F back in 2001.

I mean, nobody really knows her, but still she's getting tons of millions of dollars for being a supporting role in a franchise, that broke out big time, for whatever reason.

The whole cast should be thankful. With the exception of Vin Diesel, none of them have had significant career boosts from this. 

not sub 20% but SM3 just dropped 22% back in 2007 and that had mediocre WOM. for TDK we always had quite a few summer films dropping hardly on sunday(especially R rated ones). So there is always history.

F7 could see better than norm drop with spillover and Imax holding firm. We will know based on saturday behavior. But the franchise has known to be front loaded and I dont see this one getting Avengers legs.

SM3 number showed the effect of spillover which will help buoy the FF7 Sunday drop.

The whole cast should be thankful. With the exception of Vin Diesel, none of them have had significant career boosts from this. 

Tyrese is about to play Green Lantern, that's pretty dope.

• Like 1

Actually Insurgent held better than Divergent did at its respective place in it's run

That is 'cause yesterday was Good Friday. Insurgent will drop today and suffer a big drop tomorrow. Divergent only had Easter weekend in his run on his 5th weekend.

While this is a fantastic opening performance, I don't see how it can reach 150m weekend. F&F6 dropped 2% on Saturday from Friday day business in a weekend when holdovers jumped 45% on Saturday on average. On Easter weekends, holdovers generally stay flat. So an opener will likely drop around 15%, if not more. So a 43-44m Saturday is likely and hence 26-27m Sundays. That adds to around 137m for the weekend.

I would be very happy if it can get $150m, but I don't want everybody to be disappointed tomorrow.

• Like 1

That is 'cause yesterday was Good Friday. Insurgent will drop today and suffer a big drop tomorrow. Divergent only had Easter weekend in his run on his 5th weekend.

Oh, OK.

I think Insurgent is gonna finish 132-135M

Edited by Ethan Hunt

death factor is a big one. people don't like to admit it because they don't like to admit to their own morbid curiosities. even the episode of glee about that guy from the show who died had like, double the ratings share of every other episode that season.

• Like 7

While this is a fantastic opening performance, I don't see how it can reach 150m weekend. F&F6 dropped 2% on Saturday from Friday day business in a weekend when holdovers jumped 45% on Saturday on average. On Easter weekends, holdovers generally stay flat. So an opener will likely drop around 15%, if not more. So a 43-44m Saturday is likely and hence 26-27m Sundays. That adds to around 137m for the weekend.

I would be very happy if it can get $150m, but I don't want everybody to be disappointed tomorrow.

I would be happy with anything over 120M so this just icing on the cake. Nobody should be disappointed with your scenario.

• Like 1

I agree. One cannot forget its OD is a holiday. Even leggy movies stay flat or barely increase. F7 will drop big for sure. With or without spillovers. Sunday drop could be decent but still wont be crazy like avengers or something like that.

death factor is a big one. people don't like to admit it because they don't like to admit to their own morbid curiosities. even the episode of glee about that guy from the show who died had like, double the ratings share of every other episode that season.

It depends on who dies, tho. This is really a bad thing to say, but I am gonna say it just to explain my point:

-If Jai Courtney died in this moment, Terminator Genysis would receive 0 bump from that;

-If it was Emilia Clarke instead, not only would ratings grow even bigger for GoT, but it would also give TG a small bump;

-If it was Arnold Schwarzenegger instead, you can bet TG would make 300M DOM and 1B WW.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

I have no doubt that Walker and Ledger's deaths added to the box office of their respective films, I think some give to much credit though.

• Like 1

The demos for this is crazy. We were in line last night and I was like "everybody hush, I wanna see what this old lady buys a ticket for." I thought I heard something about Cinderella, and I was like "oh, of course." Nope that lady and her husband were in Fast! They had to be 70 or higher. I want to say they were there for action and Paul, especially by how they reacted at the end, but for some reason some of you get offended by that, so Ill just assume this movie just clicked with the marketing and it was multiple reasons.

My parents also enjoyed it and so did my gfs mom. They said they liked the action and loved how suspensful it was. None of tnem complained about booty shots. Ironically my mom kept asking me was I planing on seeing SOC :lol: My dad said "it was straight." He has 2 variables: "its straight" or "its corny." So they all liked it better than expected.

I think this will break out older than expected. When I went to Fast 6 it looked about 30 and under, but the theater last niggt had a good bit of grey, wrinkle, and pudge. Hopefully bodes will for better than usual drops.

Also that was the most ive ever payed for a non-Liemax movie. $11. Was on the rich part of town. Wouldve preferred my usual $9, but it was worth ever cent.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2