CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

Actually, that was the every-show-on-Friday-and-Saturday-was-sold-out effect.

You're forgetting a major factor. Avengers opened to "only" 207 because they ran out of seats on opening weekend in half the theaters around the country. Thus causing the second weekend to put up that huge 103 number that I consider even more impressive than the 207 on OW. (In my opinion of course.)

Just consider the fact that if there would have been more tickets available, Avengers would have easily made 220-230 on OW, and it might have even had a chance at 240.

So even if demand or interest goes down slightly, it could still open to a bigger number than 207, just because there was so much more demand than just 207 the first time.

On the other hand, AOU is definitely not guaranteed to beat 207. Demand won't drop much (believe it or not, I know a number of people who didn't see the first Avengers in the theater, but will almost certainly go see this one), but the 3-D % may make a big difference.

There's a very real possibilty that Age Of Ultron will sell more tickets than Avengers, but make less money.

Great post.  Yes, it could.

I don;'t think it will.  I don't think there is nearly as much interest this time.  But I'm talking about a 10% drop.  That seems pretty normal to me.

So far it has done 120M OS with pretty much no markets left besides China. So I would say besides Portugal, where it is gonna end 50% above the first movie in admissions with an even bigger increase on money because of 3D and IMAX, no country gave a fuck.

I am pretty sure Lionsgate was expecting 200M OS with the addition of 3D.

So even with 3D and IMAX, it will finish below the first Maze Runner WW. Looking at a 125M finish with 3D means that it shed around 40% of the first ones audience domestically.

Great post.  Yes, it could.

I don;'t think it will.  I don't think there is nearly as much interest this time.  But I'm talking about a 10% drop.  That seems pretty normal to me.

That may be true but I can just as much say there is more interest this time? 

So even with 3D and IMAX, it will finish below the first Maze Runner WW. Looking at a 125M finish with 3D means that it shed around 40% of the first ones audience domestically.

At this point it will be lucky if it passes the 300M WW. Very, very lucky. 

Edited by CJohn

This is the kind of hot take I was talking about, actually

Minor decrease from an ungodly, all-time BO run = failure :rofl:

It's going to be a success regardless.  But let's say it comes in at IM3 174 Million number.  All hell will break loose, lol. 

• Like 1

Honestly I consider that a good result considering how atrocious the marketing was

Honestly I consider that a good result considering how atrocious the marketing was

Yeah, Lionsgate has been doing a horrific job with their movies. Hunger Games 3 had a bad marketing campaign, but Mortdecai and Insurgent sunk into a new level of awfulness. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Why do some of yall feel the need to get all defensive when someone says Avengers will decrease? Its not a hard concept to grasp, but the argument is tired. Avengers has very good reason to decrease. People are allowed to say so.

I think some fans just get a bit sensitive. I wouldnt be surprised if Avengers two has a decrease, I've heard many people say that they are more excited for CA3 than Avengers 2 which is why i dont think the studio should have announced some of those details yet. But oh well.

That may be true but I can just as much say there is more interest this time? 

Yes, you can.  This is all opinion at this point.

Don't forget Shailene's ridiculous hair. What was she thinking

I have no idea if this played a part but she is undeniably a bit of a sex symbol.  With long hair, and her tight body in the first, she was quite stunning.  But yes, her short hair in this one makes her look much less appealing.

I have no idea if this played a part but she is undeniably a bit of a sex symbol.  With long hair, and her tight body in the first, she was quite stunning.  But yes, her short hair in this one makes her look much less appealing.

In the book the character also cuts her hair.

Jandrew, on 05 Apr 2015 - 7:00 PM, said:

But she had short hair because of Fault, right? What, yall want her to get weave?

She would have short hair here anyway. It is in the book.

Edited by CJohn

So far it has done 120M OS with pretty much no markets left besides China. So I would say besides Portugal, where it is gonna end 50% above the first movie in admissions with an even bigger increase on money because of 3D and IMAX, no country gave a fuck.

I am pretty sure Lionsgate was expecting 200M OS with the addition of 3D.

Considering that the next one has that ugly old "PART ONE" right there in the title of the movie, warning people that if they buy a ticket they're not going to get a complete story, there's every reason to expect the next one to drop too.

But she had short hair because of Fault, right? What, yall want her to get weave?

She was originally supposed to get a wig.  She refused it.  

In the book the character also cuts her hair.

She would have short hair here anyway. It is in the book.

She doesn't cut her hair that much in the book.  I read an article on this.