Avatree

Rubbish modern popular actors?

Who are, in your opinions, the worst popular modern actors? I'm not talking about actors who everyone knows are the worst actors ever, I mean the ones who win awards or star in lots of big films and have a lot of fans, but who you think are terrible.

Some from me:

Vin Diesel

Orloondo Bland

Angelina Jolie

Sienna Miller

Seth Rogen

Guy Pearce

Zoe Saldana

Anne Hathaway

Liam Hemsworth

Chris Hemsworth

Ikea Knightley

Halle Berry

Well, a lot of people know he's not great but Keanu Reeves stands out for me. I didn't even like him in John Wick to be honest...

Edit: LOL I just asked my mom who happens to be sitting next to me and she said "the teacher in that drumming movie" (she means JK Simmons)

:huh:  :rolleyes:

Edited by DAJK

I can't really think of many outside seemingly hopeless cases like Taylor Lautner and the like. There are few actors who manage to achieve and sustain popularity while having little to no talent; it's a part of the job to figure out your limitations and learn to work well within them. Diesel may not be a great dramatic actor (though I haven't seen Find Me Guilty), but he's a perfect fit for Riddick and the F&F franchise; same with Keanu Reeves in his action roles. Then there are cases when a great director sees something in an actor that no one else has effectively brought out before, which has resulted in several generally-not-great actors giving great performances in Tarantino movies or Adam Sandler being wonderful in Punch-Drunk Love. Then there are people like Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson who become famous for bland lead roles but can actually do great work in character parts. It's much more often about actors just not getting the right roles than it is about them being completely untalented. 

Keira Knightley is probably the only popular, acclaimed working actor who hasn't done anything for me in any role I've seen her in. She's the only one whom I just don't get. At all.

• Like 5

I find Knightley to be a very solid actress, a bit limited in range maybe. but I like her. Seth Rogen is pretty bad. like he literally can't act. and yeah Vin Diesel isn't that great either, but he's charismatic and I like him.. I actually don't care much for the Rock as an actor. he just doesn't do it for me. 

^ nothing was good about Pain & Gain

Keanu Reeves is a no-brainer, obviously :P He's hilarious in his inability to act.

I agree with you Jake about people like Adam Sandler, Kristen Stewart etc., people who everyone hates but have occasionally proven that they are talented. 

The Rock

Vin Diesel

Chris Evans

Jennifer Lawrence

I was thinking about writing Chris Evans but I actually really like him in The Losers. The Rock is charismatic so he gets a pass from me.

JLaw though?! Howwwwwwwwwwww?

I was thinking about writing Chris Evans but I actually really like him in The Losers. The Rock is charismatic so he gets a pass from me.

JLaw though?! Howwwwwwwwwwww?

She's nothing more than decent, even though I actually like THG. The Rock has the charisma of a rock tho.

She's nothing more than decent, even though I actually like THG. The Rock has the charisma of a rock tho.

I used to think that too, I remember writing the same line (about Rock having a rock's charisma) on the forum a few months ago. But I've watched a few more of his films now and I think he's likeable.

Jennifer Lawrence is a great actress. Her performance in Catching Fire is absolutely phenomenal. 

Angelina Jolie may not have a very good filmography - but she's a very charismatic performer. She was fantastic in Changeling and that movie she won an Oscar for.

• Like 1

Natalie Portman.(One of the most overrated actress)

Her döppelganger Keira Knightley to a lesser degree, it's more total indifference to her blandness.(And how she tries hard to be taken seriously by staring in countless classics adaptions and costumed fares)

Ryan Reynolds. (Don't know if he's indeed popular but Hollywood's PR machine tried very hard to desperately shove him as a popular lead for so long even he's rubbish and unlikable most of the times. He's not a natural. Period). His wife, Blake Lively. Perfect match.

Anne Hathaway. (Affected college theater poses and annoying cranked ankwardness is not good acting. It's grating on the nerves).

I used to be quite cold about The Rock ("Another WWE hulk with no acting chops to save his life being shoved down our throats as new Schwarzie. Pass") but the guy exudes sympathy even when he's playing the straight guy, he got a charismastic presence and a sense of humor/self-awareness in character bits (I think I noticed him in Get Shorty for the first time) that plays on his limitations and strengths to much effect. He doesn't warrant diatribes about being a rubbish actor because he's fully aware that he's and will never be thespian. He does what he's the best at and that's fitting.

• Like 2

I find that most people who dislike certain actors have some kind of biased against them. I used to dislike a lot more actors than I do now. there is very few I can say I hate, even though there are quite a few that aren't that great.

• Like 1