CJohn

Weekend Estimates: TLR - 13.5M; Furious 7 - 60.5M; Home - 19M [F7 - 63M OD in China!]

[mod edit]

Big movies are much worse now, that's my point. I'm just saying that international box office didn't cause that.

I think there's definitely a correlation. Not a total causation, but if the first priority for studio execs is now whether someone in a totally different culture will like their movie then creative edges will get dulled. In theory a piece of art appealing to all is a good thing, but this is something much more cynical than that.

Edited by K1stpierre

I think blockbusters are certainly better than they were like, a decade ago. look at say 2001. half of the top ten of that year was rush hour 2, the mummy returns, pearl harbor, jurassic park III, and the planet of the apes remake.

I'd take every movie from last year's top ten, except maybe tf4, over that lot.

• Like 2

Guys seriously? Tele just said for you to knock it off. Seriously.

What? I'm not taking potshots at a specific franchises, just talking about the effect of international box office.

Agreed, actually, but I think this has been happening for a while.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

But if I didn't think my opinion was the right one I'd hold a different one.

I think there's definitely a correlation. Not a total causation, but if the priority for studio execs is now whether someone in a totally different culture will like their movie then creative edges will get dulled. In theory a piece of art appealing to all is a good thing, but this is something much more cynical than that.

I despise the current trends of blockbusters. I agree that studios put more money into dumb Transformers, Marvel type stuff partially as a result of international growth. However, on the domestic side of things, audiences still have the ability to go and make an intelligent film a big hit. Kind of happened with American Sniper - I don't think the film is any good but it is at least not another superhero movie.

Also, +1 for your line about opinions. I say the same thing when people complain that I'm being self-righteous. I'm like, yeah, I do think I am right as if I didn't, then I wouldn't have that opinion. :P

I think blockbusters are certainly better than they were like, a decade ago. look at say 2001. half of the top ten of that year was rush hour 2, the mummy returns, pearl harbor, jurassic park III, and the planet of the apes remake.

Yeah but look at the biggest hits in 80s.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 2

I despise the current trends of blockbusters. I agree that studios put more money into dumb Transformers, Marvel type stuff partially as a result of international growth. However, on the domestic side of things, audiences still have the ability to go and make an intelligent film a big hit. Kind of happened with American Sniper - I don't think the film is any good but it is at least not another superhero movie.

There's no correlation between "intelligent blockbusters" and domestic vs. foreign acceptance. Almost by definition, any tentpole is going to try and reach as broad an audience as possible... and that means simplifying characters, story, themes, etc toward the basic and universal.

• Like 2

Why of all the posts in here was mine, which was completely inoffensive deleted? Just because people like SW and not Transformers? Figures

No it wasn't because the mods are Star Wars fanboys, it's because this is the weekend thread and we were talking about how shit Star Wars and Transformers are, not really relevant.

There's no correlation between "intelligent blockbusters" and domestic vs. foreign acceptance. Almost by definition, any tentpole is going to try and reach as broad an audience as possible... and that means simplifying characters, story, themes, etc toward the basic and universal.

I am not talking about tentpole movies

[mod edit]

I think there's definitely a correlation. Not a total causation, but if the first priority for studio execs is now whether someone in a totally different culture will like their movie then creative edges will get dulled. In theory a piece of art appealing to all is a good thing, but this is something much more cynical than that.

Creative edges will get dulled? That is like assuming DOM audiences are smarter than any others or that movies are specifically made for the DOM market and many movies today are clearly not meant for that. 

• Like 1

No it wasn't because the mods are Star Wars fanboys, it's because this is the weekend thread and we were talking about how shit Star Wars and Transformers are, not really relevant.

Yet all the Transformers comments are still there.

Why of all the posts in here was mine, which was completely inoffensive deleted? Just because people like SW and not Transformers? Figures

Because this thread has had enough back and forth banter of who's franchise is better than one another. This is the weekend estimates thread. If you want to talk about or compare franchises, do it in the CC Thread.

• Like 1

You said "I despise the current trends of blockbusters." How is that not talking about tentpoles?

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Hot mess you guys created here. Fucking congrats. 

eh. it doesn't even look like a contender for top 50 worst weekend threads to me. pretty standard franchise wars and "aint what they used to be" stuff. 6/10.

• Like 1