PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

1 hour ago, nevermore said:

I don't think it's about it being a female led movie, but because of Brie Larson's obnoxious social media comments. Like the time she said a 40 year old white man can't review a wrinkle in time because his opinion doesn't matter.

She didn’t just say his opinion didn’t matter lol. There was context. 

The fact that most critics are older white guys is a bit restrictive though. Hopefully that’s changing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes, Film criticism would definetly benefit from more diverse opinions.

But calling the opinion of a "40-year old white dude" essentially worthless is nothing other than discrimination. So Brie Larsons point in general is fair, her choice of words is poor.

Her choice of words wasn’t poor. She provided context. She didn’t say his opinion was worthless, she was talking in relation to a specific film. 

People have just decided to take it the way they wanted to take it. Wrongly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She didn't needed to use those words to get her point across, the moment she decided to go that route she becomes less credible by going down the path of labeling certain groups of people by race / gender which is wrong. Anyways that's besides the point of this thread and should probably be moved to the politics thread. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Plus, are Marvel fans really just starting to moan about “SJW” cast members? 

All of the cast are anti Trump and seem like very reasonable, sensible people. Maybe aside from Pratt, he seems like a republican. 

Have they looked at Chris Evans’ twitter? Or does Brie just get called SJW cause she’s a woman? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She is basically saying that everyone should have their say in what didn't work with AWIT, a movie that nobody liked but because critics demo skews certain way it seems as if only they had their say. but the movie wouldn't be let off the hook if critics were more diverse cause crap is crap. She just thinks that those other voices should have been included in explaining why it didn't work for them. I can see why her quote may come off a little brash but the demo breakdown of at least RT critics is pretty spot on. Mind you, it could also be that this particular demo is more interested in film criticism than other demos hence over-representation. 

Why can't people take things on a case by case basis? Suddenly if you're against what she said in this specific interview you have an "anti-SJW agenda against cast members"? I fully support Brie as an actress in the role of CM and so far from what I've seen from the trailers she looks like she's going to do an great job playing the character but that does not mean I have to agree with what nonsense the actress says in interviews. 

22 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I mean, she’s completely right?

As a minority I would say you are wrong and using your standard I should be completely right then.

Having more diversity in reviews is for the best, but to suggest white people cant objectively review a movie with a diverse cast, is pretty idiotic. 

Its a perfect example of how people support tolerance but frankly breed further intolerance. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

As a minority I would say you are wrong and using your standard I should be completely right then.

Having more diversity in reviews is for the best, but to suggest white people cant objectively review a movie with a diverse cast, is pretty idiotic. 

Its a perfect example of how people support tolerance but frankly breed further intolerance. 

But she didn't say that. And you know that but just wanted to type that bs. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Premium George said:

But she didn't say that. And you know that but just wanted to type that bs. 

Rather Ironic that SJW call for levity and context into what she had to say considering how they normally behave when someone says something that offends them.

😁

Edited by Lordmandeep

5 minutes ago, Premium George said:

No, she didn't. Quote is on the previous page.

Well its open to our own interpretation I guess. 

Personally I think its a rather intolerant and tone deaf statement and as a result I have a lesser opinion of her.

I just dont think we can have a more tolerant society by breeding more intolerance. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Back on Topic, this film (Captain Marvel) seems solid to me. Not bad or great, but really solid. Im getting Iron Man 3-vibes from it, ill probably enjoy it in the theater but wont need to buy it on Blu-Ray.

...Otoh i have Iron Man 3 on BRay, so whatever :D

Lol i just realized this is the Avengers thread and not the Captain Marvel thread :raining:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Why can't people take things on a case by case basis? Suddenly if you're against what she said in this specific interview you have an "anti-SJW agenda against cast members"? I fully support Brie as an actress in the role of CM and so far from what I've seen from the trailers she looks like she's going to do an great job playing the character but that does not mean I have to agree with what nonsense the actress says in interviews. 

I wasn’t meaning only in relation to this interview. Just because I’d read earlier in the week here that MRA’s were preparing to dislike the trailer. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrestrial said:

beside this being not earnestly meant....

just to have a comparison for another date/time:

dislike % is less than 5% for the moment (~485k likes to 23k dislikes)

A 21-1 like/dislike ratio is not great. It's very, very average. (Though I know those dislikes are inflated by man babies)

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

A 21-1 like/dislike ratio is not great. It's very, very average. (Though I know those dislikes are inflated by man babies)

then why write this?

For now we do not even know the dislike % w/o the 'man babies'.

Or the % that announced to go to dislike the clip as it is not the Avengers 4 clip (some here at BOT stated to have seen an increasingly number of social media users to - openly telling about that - do that)

Or....

Beside that: I do not agree about the general %-ratio's interpretation anyway, I do not judge it like great or not in general, but even less if bias or niche audience or... seems to be involved.

It depends on e.g. what is the movie even about - like bio, drama focused on varying themes all differ again, crime, Sci-Fi, CBMs that seem to get out a lot of DC vs Marvel vs Wizard fans vs.... whatever franchise fan feels the need to come out of to 'defend' their fandom and so on.

Some ppl only click dislike if a clip got suggested and they are not interested in the suggestion

RL and probably neutral to this theme here example: if you look a lot of DIY clips and lean to wood work clips and dislike metal work clips = I read a lot about ppl handling the suggestion at especial YT in that way.

So how many did that bcs they are simply not interested in another CBM (maybe only for the moment for certain reasons like Aquaman coming out, Avengers 4 demanding users start to annoy or its in the POV of some too much CBM for the moment) or ... as an example? Or do not want to get spoiled about certain movies only? Or...

= An around 5% dislike (or even 10%+) for a female lead CBM movie is fine by me

6 hours ago, nevermore said:

I don't think it's about it being a female led movie, but because of Brie Larson's obnoxious social media comments. Like the time she said a 40 year old white man can't review a wrinkle in time because his opinion doesn't matter.

I doubt many people even know about that.

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Brie is 100% right. Film criticism needs more diverse voices.

no-one is stopping black people or females from becoming movie critics. there's isn't a racial or gender criteria stopping people being a movie critic. Brie's comment is pure nonsense and anyone who sticks up for her is quite frankly part of the racial discrimination

The film got 42% for Christ sake, it was universally underpraised. I'd understand if it was Black Panther and a long steak of white critics complaining that's it's too ghetto but singling out a guy doing his job and haven't a similar opinion to the rest is not a good look in the slightest

Edited by Jessie