MovieGuyKyle17

Weekend Estimates: Age of Adaline - 13.4M; Furious 7 - 18.3M; Ex Machina - 5.4M | Avengers - 201.2M OS OW (55% markets)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe F7 just hit the billion OS mark faster or about the same time as Avatar. :blink: I remember it being right around a month for Avatar to do it. That OS gross is just absolutely insane. It almost doesn't even make sense it's so big for such a mid level OS franchise before this. Seems like some crazy fanboy's unrealistic prediction that would never happen in a million years. Except it is happening.

• Like 2

This is pretty much the expression on everyone's face next weekend when this breaks the OW record held by TA in 2012..

Not really. I think about 2/3 of us are fully expecting it to break the record, if only by a few mil. Certainly wouldn't be like when the first did it. Now that was unexpected.

in other news, Paul Blart 2 has held depressingly well, despite 4% on RT and poor audience reaction. I guess it shows how lackluster the box office has in the last couple of weeks in terms of new releases.

The fact that it has held on so well proves that this so-called poor audience reaction is BS. This always happens: some people don't care about a particular film, and therefore they start seeing "poor wom" where there isn't any.

• Like 5

Home and Paul Blart 2's drops is even more proof (not that we needed any) that audiences don't give a shit about critics' opinions. A film that connects with audiences will do so regardless of what "experts" think.

Eh, families don't have much other options right now. So I wouldn't put too much stock in Home and Paul Blart holding decently because of good WOM.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Eh, families don't have much other options right now. So I wouldn't put too much stock in Home and Paul Blart holding decently because of good WOM.

I thought Home had at least decent WOM. But yea, a lot of its holds are attributed to the state of the current marketplace.

• Like 1

The fact that it has held on so well proves that this so-called poor audience reaction is BS. This always happens: some people don't care about a particular film, and therefore they start seeing "poor wom" where there isn't any.

All the people I know who have seen Paul Blart 2 hated it. It has an abysmal IMDB score and bad RT User score. Cinemascore is B-.

Maybe the evidence isn't great, but the evidence that we do have points to poor audience reaction. K?

Wrong. It just proves that there is nothing else in the market for families to see.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

It's been proven time and time again that that is not how things work. People don't go to the movies thinking "heck, I am in the mood to see a comedy or an animated film;  there's nothing that looks appealing, but I'll just see this one film because it's the only option."  That is absolute crap and just a way to belittle films that we don't care for. That's the same BS as saying that some people who care about superhero films but never saw Avengers and don't plan to see Avengers 2 (cuz they don't find Marvel movies appealing) will go see it because it's the only superhero movie around. It makes no sense.

• Like 2

I thought Home had at least decent WOM. But yea, a lot of its holds are attributed to the state of the current marketplace.

I work at an elementary school, and trust me, its intended audience loves it. Its holds are not shocking to me; there's not a day that I don't see a ton of Oh figurines being bandied around in the lunchroom.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

It is breaking it by more than a few million.. You're truly looking at a Juggernaught next weekend and no reviews will stop this..

Reviews haven't really been bad anyway.

What's your prediction, btw? Do you think it will become the first 250 million dollar opener, or is that too high based on how many actual screens the film is in?

It's been proven time and time again that that is not how things work. People don't go to the movies thinking "heck, I am in the mood to see a comedy or an animated film;  there's nothing that looks appealing, but I'll just see this one film because it's the only option."  That is absolute crap and just a way to belittle films that we don't care for. That's the same BS as saying that some people who care about superhero films but never saw Avengers and don't plan to see Avengers 2 (cuz they don't find Marvel movies appealing) will go see it because it's the only superhero movie around. It makes no sense.

When we're talking about such small grosses, it absolutely does make sense. Now if we were talking big 40m+ grosses, then obviously that would be more than just nothing else out to see. But the fact of the matter is Home and Blart's grosses this weekend are small, and even if they had dropped 50% the actual change in gross wouldn't have been that big. Their small drops at small grosses are absolutely because there's nothing else out for that audience right now. Cinderella has run its course and Monkey Kingdom is a doc. Those are the family options. This will be proven when they both do drop a decent amount next weekend due to families flocking to AOU. Kids like to go to movies, and they'll go to about anything their parents will take them to if they're in the mood to see a movie. That doesn't mean they don't have particular movies that they really want to see, it just means they'll see just about anything a lot easier than your average adult will.

Edited by MovieMan89

Weird that Insurgent is having better holds than Cinderella.

I think Divergent held well late in its run too.  So I don't think its weird at all. Cinderella has been doing pretty well, imo. For a while it was holding a bit better than Insurgent. If you check the dailies and a few weekends back Cinderella was ahead of it quite often.

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 1

So say Paul Blart had dropped 50%. That would mean it would have grossed around $12m instead of $15m. Now you can't tell me that extra 3m didn't come from the fact that there are barely any other family options (especially new ones) and not because it's having great WOM.

• Like 3

Then they should look for other options. lol

A lot of kids get excited just about going to a movie. Especially if they get it in their head they want to go. They don't care what they're seeing in that case, just that they're getting to go. At least speaking for the kids I've been around and myself as a kid. Hell, even as an adult I get antsy if I haven't gone to the theater in a while. I want to see something, I don't even care that much anymore what it is. Some of us love going to the movies.

And again, no one twist my words to think that I'm saying kids never have specific movies they do or don't want to see. Obviously they do. They're just are far more lenient about it, especially under the age of 8. Going to the theater is sometimes a fun experience/treat for them regardless of the movie.

• Like 2