CoolioD1

WGA Nominees

How does The Artist get a best screenplay nom? Where is the screenplay? And seriously, why is it being as one of the years best? It's a gimmick, plain and simple. It's like the Weinstein's have brainwashed all of you. I don't understand what is so great a type of film that is obsolete and extinct.

I don't get why people are so against the Artist getting a nomination. Screenplays are not just about dialogue. Go to the website and read the script, it's actually really detailed and very good. There has to be a setup before any dialogue, and usually a strong screenplay has good setup. The thing is, this one is all setup and description with essentially no dialogue.

What's annoying me more about The Artist is how much baumer is criticizing it. You're taking it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far, going out of your way to make sure everyone knows you hate it and want to kill every person who was involved with it.

What's annoying me more about The Artist is how much baumer is criticizing it. You're taking it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far, going out of your way to make sure everyone knows you hate it and want to kill every person who was involved with it.

That's a little strong. I just think you guys are all being told to like it so you do. If this film hadn't gotten any kind of mention from the critics and the press, would you really have liked it that much? Why the fascination with it? Is the story really that engaging? It's about a star that thinks he's all that and then loses his mojo when the world passes him by. To me, the film is all gimmick. I don't see the brilliance in it. I had a hard time sitting in the theater watching it and it befuddled me as to what was so perfect about it? The direction and the "acting" are just so pedestrian. I'm really confused.

How does The Artist get a best screenplay nom? Where is the screenplay? And seriously, why is it being as one of the years best? It's a gimmick, plain and simple. It's like the Weinstein's have brainwashed all of you. I don't understand what is so great a type of film that is obsolete and extinct.

The Hurt Locker somehow won Screenplay over Inglourious Basterds, which I never fully understood until I read about and realized there is much more to screenplay than just a lot of dialogue. However, THL did not deserve to win; that said, The Artist should comfortably get the nod for screenplay.

Baumer, I'm actually not in love with it. I don't want it to win any awards, though I'm not bashing its brains out like you are, because it really is a good movie. I haven't seen something like this in 2011, or perhaps the last like eight decades, and though the story is VERY VERY VERY light and predictable, most stories are, and it just does it well.

The Hurt Locker somehow won Screenplay over Inglourious Basterds, which I never fully understood until I read about and realized there is much more to screenplay than just a lot of dialogue. However, THL did not deserve to win

This. Edited by fishnets

Baumer, I'm actually not in love with it. I don't want it to win any awards, though I'm not bashing its brains out like you are, because it really is a good movie. I haven't seen something like this in 2011, or perhaps the last like eight decades, and though the story is VERY VERY VERY light and predictable, most stories are, and it just does it well.

i am bashing it because it deserves to be bashed. It's a one trick pony. If this wasn't a silent film, the gimmick, there is no way this would be getting the attention it is. That's what makes it a freak show.

Baumer, I'm not the kind of guy who goes gaga over every single art house film, (I wasn't even a big fan of Young Adult and The Tree Of Life) but I loved The Artist, and here's why I think so. First, I've always been one for films about film, and The Artist teleported my to 1920s LA, and it was absolutely incredible. Secondly, this is one of the true epitomes of "I laughed, I cried." It managed to be sweetly funny at several moments without saying a word, and the emotion is perfectly illustrated.

And the "Bang!" scene....that was one of the most intense and best scenes of the year, IMHO.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm rooting for 50/50 to win, but there's not too much chance there, unfortunately.

It's certainly been done a lot recently, but The Artist uses that theme better than most other such films, IMO.

If it appeals to you then so be it. I'm glad you like it. But it just seems so cliche and so arbitrary to pick a film that is different. This may be an entertaining film, but best picture material? I really don't get it.

If it appeals to you then so be it. I'm glad you like it. But it just seems so cliche and so arbitrary to pick a film that is different. This may be an entertaining film, but best picture material? I really don't get it.

I absolutely agree that it doesn't deserve Best Picture, although I think it enjoyed it a bit more than you. Yeah, it's a gimmick but it was fun while it lasted.I'm also terribly disturbed by your definition of a screenplay.

I absolutely agree that it doesn't deserve Best Picture, although I think it enjoyed it a bit more than you. Yeah, it's a gimmick but it was fun while it lasted.I'm also terribly disturbed by your definition of a screenplay.

The screenplay, as the rest of the movie, is just a gimmick. That's all I'm saying. Look, this is a film about a black and white period where an actor can't keep up with the changing times. That kind of screenplay a 4 year old could write. That is my complaint with it.

Hey Baumer,I think a lot of us when discussing The Artist are taking our emotions out of the equation and looking at what the Academy is going to go with. None of us have to like the film, but common sense tells us this getting many nods including screenplay and picture obviously. A lot of the posts I read, I don't see people going on about how they like The Artist, but instead, people are talking about its odds at being nominated, or rather winning sinces nods are all but locked for this film.With that said, I haven't seen the film, so I can only go off of precussor awards and stuff like that. But, everything is poinint to The Artist being a heavyweight at this years Oscars. But, I am kind of with you, I think this is the kind of film that will turn off a lot of casual viewers. Each year, the Academy seems to be losing its touch with the mainstream culture, and this winning might be another big strike and lead to lower ratings next year, or maybe even this year if everyone thinks it will win.THL is the lowest grossing BP winner adjusted for inflation since what, the 50's, or is that unadjusted. Either way, no one saw that. Slumdog Millionaire is practically forgotten. Crash...yah, who remembers that. What is odd is that if you look back at past decades we see a lot of BP winners that were also popular with the mainstream. Since the 2000s, it seems that the Academy really favors random art house films. Now, I have nothing against that, but every now and then, they do need to throw the general public a bone. Otherwise, they will just alientate everyone except "elite" film critics, and I think this may just be the film to do so. With that said, I sill haven't seen the film, so I am not 100% in a position to comment on it, but I know the concept of a B&W silent film doesn't appeal to a lot of moviegoers.

Well said Clone. I just think that if this was a film that was released without any kind of critical "OMGZ ITS FRIKKIN INCREDIBLE" then people would see it for what it is. Now if that means that many people enjoyed it, then so be it, we all have different taste in film. But to say this is the best picture of the year, which I'm 95% sure it will win, that really angers me. It is not a best picture, its a gimmick. There are so many films that are so much better. But the academy seems to be in bed with Harvey and Bob.