CoolioD1

WGA Nominees

I don't think it wins Best Pic at this point. There's definitely a bit of a backlash -- it really is a slight film (nothing wrong with that). And although it's a gimmick film, the gimmick works. It really is precise and concise about how it presents things, all visually -- a model of efficiency that many other movies could learn from.And really, Michael Bay should make a silent movie -- it plays to his strengths. :)

I don't think it wins Best Pic at this point.

Not sure there's anything out there strong enough to take it out. Unfortunately the five contenders I legitimately loved -- Moneyball, War Horse, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Hugo, and TGWTDT -- either won't make the nomination cut or won't be strong enough to win.What do you think has a shot to win over The Artist? I give a staggeringly huge maybe to War Horse, but that's about it. Existential drama/comedies like The Descendants never win Best Picture. I hope to god The Help doesn't actually have a legit shot. What a shame; that movie is so unbelievably mediocre it's painful. Edited by ravon80

Not sure there's anything out there strong enough to take it out. Unfortunately the five contenders I legitimately loved -- Moneyball, War Horse, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Hugo, and TGWTDT -- either won't make the nomination cut or won't be strong enough to win.What do you think has a shot to win over The Artist? I give a staggeringly huge maybe to War Horse, but that's about it. Existential drama/comedies like The Descendants never win Best Picture. I hope to god The Help doesn't actually have a legit shot. What a shame; that movie is so unbelievably mediocre it's painful.

At this point, Jack and Jill should be nominated over The Artist. It just doesn't work imo.

Yeah, because good TV movies have performances like Firth's and Rush's all the time. I also can't remember the last time a TV movie was the same style Hooper brought to it. Everybody has their opinion, but I can't help but feel anybody who shoots it down as an average, boring TV movie is simply bitter about its success.

Edited by RichWS

It's not an average film but it really didn't do anything particularly interesting (beyond the excellent performances). It was a piece of high-grade Masterpiece Theater -- nothing wrong with that and it was well-done, but it didn't do anything daring or unique or even provocative (when, in fact, it could've: see Christopher Hitchens' article on how Churchill was actually quite anti-Bertie and supported Nazi-sympathizer Edward VIII up until the end). Instead, the rougher edges were smoothed out so everything ended up being painted very black-and-white.Compare that to SOCIAL NETWORK, which went out of its way to portray its protagonist in a more negative light than factual events suggest. The result was a far more compelling character study.