Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Another benefit AOU has is shit competition. Look at the rest of the month. Hot Pursuit? Mad Max? Tomorrowland? Lol

Mad Max to pull away from males (all those action heavy trailers) and Pitch Perfect 2, yes.

Tomorrowland? Looks great but yeah that's not gonna register with general public. Plus Aloha could (key word) benefit from Cooper post American Sniper and Poltergeist. San Andreas? I love Johnson (one of the few who dug Hercules) but...no. Just... NO.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

So what's a 3.0x multiplier? A Godly Intervention of biblical orders?

basically. avengers 1's multiplier was beyond amazing, and there is literally 0% chance it happens again

It does have worse reviews but the WOM is not mixed at least not by any measure. So far, 90% Audience rating on RT. A on Cinemascore. It has the same IMDB score as the first Avengers (8.2). On our review thread, over 80% have given it an A or B grade. In fact, that's almost as high as the first Avengers. It might not be as popular as the first movie but people are really liking Age of Ultron. To doom it to bad legs is kinda silly.

Also the OD is higher than the first Avengers even adjusted for inflation. I guess it's possible it goes down a bit more since it is an estimate but even if it matches it or barely goes down, that's still a pretty great result for Age of Ultron. As for franchise fatigue, if this is MCU in franchise fatigue where it's still topping itself then the MCU still has a long way to go.

Most of those are fanboy grades. Also even if this had amazing reviews, reviews better than the first film, its legs would probably of still been shorter due to the fact that its a sequel, it almost always happens with sequels.

Also one more thing and then I'm done...can we stop trying to predicting things on how good, but mostly how stupid they look? This attitude we have recently has not completed translated to the GA. See Ride Along, Home, Spongebob, Maleficent, TMNT, We're the Millers, etc, etc, etc.

I said over $40M OW for Spongebob, while I did have an ounce of fanboyism, I still looked up numbers and saw how popular the show still was, and knew the CG element would be seen as fresh. Many here low-balled Spongebob "because it looks stupid and is for kids." Then when things break out the same people want to look in hindsight and go "yeah this isn't a shock, I don't watch the show anymore, but hes obviously still popular." Same with home, we have an anti-DWA agenda here. "All of DWA's movies keep bombing, and Home looks so stupid, the aliens look ugly, this will bomb." Then Home breaks out and nobody wants to eat crow.

You base predicts off of yes a little personal bias, hope, and gut feeling, but also on real world numbers, info, advertising, metrics, etc. You don't have to watch Spongebob or Nickelodeon to know how popular it still is, you just go to Neilson or Wiki or Facebook. But that goes for all movies. We can still have some personal bias, but lets try to do better than "that trailer looked stupid, this will bomb." That's one thing that annoys me the most here. K thanks bye.

I agree with this post, but it's also important to realize that you also shouldn't underestimate audience's intelligence. I see people saying Inside Out is going to do well just because it's "too sophisticated" for children. I've seen that trailer a couple of times with audiences full of kids and they love Anger and want to see the movie.

Hopefully might be WW.

Search your feelings, you know that to be false.

Most of those are fanboy grades. Also even if this had amazing reviews, reviews better than the first film, its legs would probably of still been shorter due to the fact that its a sequel, it almost always happens with sequels.

Spider-Man 2 being the perfect example. Opened bigger than the first (look at their 10  day totals), had "greatest superhero movie ever" reviews and WOM, yet came up $30m short of SM1's total. It's pretty much impossible to replicate the cultural zeitgeist like that even if you make a movie that is widely considered better than the previous one.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Another benefit AOU has is shit competition. Look at the rest of the month. Hot Pursuit? Mad Max? Tomorrowland? Lol

Hey now, you wouldn't want to make Max Mad. You wouldn't like him when he is mad. :P

Hot Pursuit isn't competition. Not really. It's counter-programming. Mad Max is for adults, not families. Tomorrowland is young adult.  Avengers kinda does have May all by itself in that it's the only family event. All the other movies, they won't have the same demographic appeal because they are more directed.

Hey now, you wouldn't want to make Max Mad. You wouldn't like him when he is mad. :P

Hot Pursuit isn't competition. Not really. It's counter-programming. Mad Max is for adults, not families. Tomorrowland is young adult.  Avengers kinda does have May all by itself in that it's the only family event. All the other movies, they won't have the same demographic appeal because they are more directed.

Tomorrowland is rated PG so they clearly are going for families.

I'm up now and quite shocked that Rth would tell us this yesterday, only to come in a lot lower than it should've.. So many people put a lot of faith in Rth who probably doesn't know the numbers any better than anyone else.. Either way, congrats to DH2 for holding onto the the OD record..

When BKB in defeat is more modest than some of ya'll in 'victory' you know you've been pissy.

Just got back, I thought it held up pretty well actually.

Regarding RTH and early projections, have we considered that with America's push to reserved seating, that would mean pre-sales for big movies are quickly becoming a bigger draw and skewing the way we initially forecasted numbers throughout the day? Could that be a factor?

My hometown theater just started reserved seating for IMAX theaters only... shame because I wanted to try them out over break, but I'm pretty sure nothing this summer was filmed in IMAX

It was this

avengerscircl.gif

I know I hype this shot up, but to the general public its epic. 

no it's true, i think avengers 1 is completely overrated and "just ok" but this shot gives me chills and is probably responsible for 100m of the dom total

Sorry, but it really is hard not to feel this way..

I know exactly what Rth got wrong because I did the exact same thing with the OD of Avengers 2 over here. Pre-sales were solid and I expected walk up business to be strong. Instead, it was barely non-existent. 

My hometown theater just started reserved seating for IMAX theaters only... shame because I wanted to try them out over break, but I'm pretty sure nothing this summer was filmed in IMAX

I feel like Houston is about 50% with reserved seating at this point. I love it. Though convenience fees = not cool

Man they really improved the hell out of Cap's uniform in the following movies. Sometimes I forget how bad his Avengers duds were. Never let Coulson design someone's suit again.

• Like 2