Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Agreed. My point was merely that TA2's likely dom gross makes TDKR even more impressive in hindsight. And I say that as someone who didn't think TDKR was a particularly good movie.

Ironically I predicted Dark Knight Rises would gross $440M domestically.

If Age of Ultron doesn't crack $400M (which it will crack), then we'll start using the D word.

That would actually be pretty sad. AoU, full of heroes, not being able to beat IM3 which just had Tony? :wacko:

I dunno if one can argue that yet. I mean this film is going to do a 190m weekend. CBM genre is definitely not dead.

Give it a few more years though.

I didn't say dead. I said plateaued, as in it has reached as high a peak as it will get. Edited by Chaz

Could this potentially open a slot for another movie to enter the Top 2 for the year?

Everyone said AoU and SW7 were locked for top 2, but could something else get in now that the bar has been lowered?

95m ow if good

665-70m if shit

I actually expect it to comfortably top $100 million OW.

Be an interesting few weeks for universal to whip up a hype storm, but I think it ticks all the boxes.

Anyway, this is about Avengers. It's opened huge, let's just see how it holds up Sunday

Don't know if you can say that yet (in general). For MCU..perhaps (?). But FOX and WB have a different approach to the genre/different tone in movies.

I expect both X-MEN: APOCALYPSE and BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE to make more than their predecessors. 

• Like 1

I bet a lot of people were wishing they could've went and saw this instead of that bore of a fight... Perhaps Sunday's number will go up to make up for that???

You keep that light on, precious.

• Like 1

Nobody expected it to struggle to fight Dark Knight Rises. But again we're talking about $400M+ box office. That isn't a disaster.

You want a disaster? Go look up Heaven's Gate.

If Age of Ultron doesn't crack $400M (which it will crack), then we'll start using the D word.

So you don't think this is a disaster coz 400m is a good number, then what are you expecting for Avatar 2 if you believe its gonna be a disaster?

• Like 1

I expect both X-MEN: APOCALYPSE and BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE to make more than their predecessors. 

Batman vs Superman, yes. Apocalypse, no.

If any X-Men movie was gonna break the mold, it would have been Days of Future Past given its hook/novelty and it didn't. I expect it to increase worldwide though.

• Like 2

So you don't think this is a disaster coz 400m is a good number, then what are you expecting for Avatar 2 if you believe its gonna be a disaster?

Honestly?

I'm waiting for that movie to even exist before we talk about predictions. Still have this feeling Cameron might up and cancel the whole thing and he does have the power to do that. Its been officially slotted and delayed several times now.

• Like 2

Could this potentially open a slot for another movie to enter the Top 2 for the year?

Everyone said AoU and SW7 were locked for top 2, but could something else get in now that the bar has been lowered?

Only other possibility would be MJ2. If Aou falls below the 450m mark, it is possible, though very unlikely that MJ2 could take number 2 of the year. That's if it even has a big enough finale factor, seeing as MJ1 fell quite substantially from CF. So tbh, probably not.

• Like 1

Batman vs Superman, yes. Apocalypse, no.

If any X-Men movie was gonna break the mold, it would have been Days of Future Past given its hook/novelty and it didn't. I expect it to increase worldwide though.

DOFP increased by 88 M from FC, right? An increase is an increase. I expect APOCALYPSE to make 280 M - 300 M next year.

Mockingjay 2 definitely won't be top 2.

MJ1 decreased 90m DOM from CF, so it definitely lost a chuck of its audience! :o

The superhero movie genre has plateaued.

Except that a 190 million OW is fucking massive.  And a 500 million dollar films is massive.  Avengers is a fucking beast.

• Like 7

Mockingjay 2 definitely won't be top 2.

MJ1 decreased 90m DOM from CF, so it definitely lost a chuck of its audience! :o

IF there is action yes, if it is more Katnis moping around sub 400 millon.

DOFP increased by 88 M from FC, right? An increase is an increase. I expect APOCALYPSE to make 280 M - 300 M next year.

Days of Future Past increased because it brought back the original cast (a la Fast & Furious 4) and had a novelty approach with the time-travel and blending both the new and old actors together, which like The Avengers was done to death in the comics but had never been done before onscreen.

Apocalypse doesn't have that. Its just the First Class cast again (for the last time) and mirroring other comic book/superhero tentpoles with mass scale destruction. Been there, done that. It being set in the early 80s is the only thing that's unique about it. And I say this as a huge Bryan Singer fan and someone who will be there opening night.

• Like 2