Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

TDK - 73M

SM1 - 70M

TA - 65M

It's really not close enough that we can't say, there's a decent gap between all 3.  We had this conversation 3 years ago as well  :lol: You're just ridiculously pessimistic with TDK/TDKR

WRONG!

This whole nonsense of the fight affecting numbers for Avengers 2 is fucking embarrassing. People can still see Avengers this weekend and also see the fight. In fact, I've already seen the movie twice and still have plenty of time to see the fight, watch game 7 of the Spurs/Clippers game, and the nfl draft. 

I posted this the other day, but I think us people on here at a box office site fundamentally sometimes don't understand how alot of people watch movies. For alot of people, if you miss it at the time you would normally watch it, you don't just go find another time to see it. People are busy. Most people set aside Saturday night to go see a movie with some buddies or a date with dinner. It's not a part of their souls like it is for us and here (and probably alot of the people we hang out with). It's just an activity you do on a Saturday night. And if it gets bumped because you're going to a fight party, maybe you don't watch it till next weekend. I'm not going to argue again that I think the fight audience is gonna be big enough to chop off one or two million tonight- I've made that clear- but using yourself, who has already seen a movie twice in the day it has been out, as an example for how casual people watch movies is just dead wrong. 

Edited by cmasterclay
  • Like 5

TDK - 73M

SM1 - 70M

TA - 65M

It's really not close enough that we can't say, there's a decent gap between all 3.  We had this conversation 3 years ago as well  :lol: You're just ridiculously pessimistic with TDK/TDKR

I am ok with thought that SM1 could have sold more tickets as it did not have Imax plus it would have sold more kiddie tickets. But no way Avengers is close to TDK.

IMO, 10% is the absolute max it can hope to achieve. I'm sensing a flat number from Friday. Around $58m wouldn't surprise me in the least.

OMG, Neo quoting old posts that had AoU beating DH2 is the most glorious meltdown so far.

You are beating a dead horse. Do you have something else to do today???

I posted this the other day, but I think us people on here at a box office site fundamentally sometimes don't understand how alot of people watch movies. For alot of people, if you miss it at the time you would normally watch it, you don't just go find another time to see it. People are busy. Most people set aside Saturday night to go see a movie with some buddies or a date with dinner. It's not a part of their souls like it is for us and here (and probably alot of the people we hang out with). It's just an activity you do on a Saturday night. And if it gets bumped because you're going to a fight party, maybe you don't watch it till next weekend. I'm not going to argue again that I think the fight audience is gonna be big enough to chop off one or two million tonight- I've made that clear- but using yourself, who has already seen a movie twice in the day it has been out, as an example for how casual people watch movies is just dead wrong.

Well said, obv couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

No I'm not. Are you accounting for the fact SM1/TA1 were magnets for little kids while TDK wasn't? Are you accounting for the fact SM1 had zero boost from IMAX? I think all three of them are in a similar spot when you account for everything (kid prices, IMAX, 3D, inflation, etc.).

Sometimes I dream that all bo numbers are given in attendance, not dollars ...

Le sigh ...

No I'm not. Are you accounting for the fact SM1/TA1 were magnets for little kids while TDK wasn't? Are you accounting for the fact SM1 had zero boost from IMAX? I think all three of them are in a similar spot when you account for everything (kid prices, IMAX, 3D, inflation, etc.).

Surely then SM would be well ahead of the other two.

Embarrassing? There are people who will gamble/pay for the fight tonight who would've gone to the movies. To deny that based on your own viewpoint of how you spend your weekends is "embarrassing."

I guess people 'forgot' how to schedule their weekends? Your argument is embarrassing. 

I guess people 'forgot' how to schedule their weekends? Your argument is embarrassing. 

Uh, yea, that's not how people work, man. They aren't robots. Saturday afternoon, you go grocery shopping, play with the kids, shit like that. Saturday night, you might go out with your wife or your girlfriend to a movie usually. But tonight, they have another option, a once-in-a-decade thing for even casual sports fans. People don't work their schedules around movies like we do in the real world.

To add to your analysis. Money doesn't grow on trees. Some ppl will spend there weekend entertainment money on the fight or parties. And thats all for the bugdet. Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2