Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Well there you have it. It's basically Iron man 3 numbers. Previews soften deman, a real midnight opening would be different I think. The fight clearly had an effect as reports are over 1 billon watched worldwide. Still a fantastic number. Ultron hit the perfect storm of American Sports Entertainment. It wasn't going to come out unscathed.

Edited by filmscholar

L.A. took a nose dive yesterday evening. That can't be ignored. The question is can it recover some of the loss today?

Nope the Anaheim Ducks play today. 

Edited by Snoopy of Suburbia

I am thinking 145m 

I just have a hard time picturing essentially a 17-20 million gain from MoS (with previews) when including Batman & Wonder Woman. 

I'm predicting 175, although the Avengers Age of Ultron opening makes me want to move it back to 165, but screw it.

Either way, it's not doing 207+.

Edited by Adam

L.A. took a nose dive yesterday evening. That can't be ignored. The question is can it recover some of the loss today?

I could see it going either way to be honest. Sub-20% is already accounting for at least some kind of bounceback from last night's collapse.

• Like 1

I just have a hard time picturing essentially a 17-20 million gain from MoS (with previews) when including Batman & Wonder Woman. 

I'm predicting 175, although the Avengers Age of Ultron opening makes me want to move it back to 165, but screw it.

Either way, it's not doing 207+.

Easter Sunday will hurt it. 

How do you know it didn't top it? I am pretty sure it did. You are making that shit up. 

Anything to get a jab in. And I could care less about tickets all I care about is $$$ total made. I know that AOU out did DHII so its a good day. AOU is #2 OW and down the rung DHII goes. :circles::ca:

I could see it going either way to be honest. Sub-20% is already accounting for at least some kind of bounceback from last night's collapse.

So Disney estimated a sub 20% drop?  I didn't know that.  Yeah it could go either way.

Anything to get a jab in. And I could care less about tickets all I care about is $$$ total made. I know that AOU out did DHII so its a good day. AOU is #2 OW and down the rung DHII goes. :circles::ca:

But what if AOU finishes below TDKR?

I'll accept it either way. Just asking the question since we are talking box office.

Yes it could.  But Red's right, 20% is a soft prediction so they're accounting for it a bit already.

TDK - 22.4M

SM3 - 22.1M

TA - 21.8M

DMC - 20.7M

NM - 19.9M

SM1 - 19.7M

TDKR - 19.4M

DH2 - 19.0M

CF - 18.9M

THG - 18.9M

AOU - 18.2M

BD1 - 18.2M

IM3 - 18.1M

BD2 - 18.0M

Shrek 3 - 18.0M

This just shows how more much popular TV still is. I mean Bruce Jenner's sex change interview thing scored near 17M for Christ sakes. And High School Musical 2 scored over 17M during its premiere back in 07. And isnt Walking Dead pulling like 17M an episdoes? Empire has reached that high as well. These weekends look so massive, but still fall pretty short in the grand scheme. 

Now of course all those movies will end up with over 40 million viewers in the end...but so did Seinfeld in its heyday. Even a single episode of Jersey Shore was more watched than most movies. Crazy. And people say TV is doomed...

• Like 1

Regarding RDJ.

I think he's following a similar trajectory as Johnny Depp. Soon people will be bored of him.

I got a huge Jack Sparrow vibe of him in Age of Ultron. I'm really tired of him now.

Noctis you seem a little to happy, let me fix that for you

Marvel Cinematic Universe   $7,786.8m

Harry Potter                         $7,723.4m

Hail the new king of the world :worthy:

They both share zero Oscar wins :D  :D  :D

:rofl: I love Potter find the Oscar scorn an amusing quirk. With the British membership in AMPAS and the supposed quality (DH2 was the best reviewed eighth installment of a franchise, ever, on Metacritic!) you'd think they'd have managed one. Even Narnia won for makeup, and Lemony Snicket even has one! But splitting the last movie in two was fatal to its slim Oscar hopes (as it should have been). If F&F wins Best Song for "See You Again" it will be yet another franchise that could do what Potter couldn't. Guess JK will have to be content with the theme park and spin-off money. Welp, can't have everything!

Also having the OD record but not the OW record, and being the biggest OW not to make it to $400M...not sure how this is accomplishment is worth reveling in? Something's going to pass the OD record someday, because that's just sort of how things go. Won't mean Potter is suddenly meaningless, once it happens.

I wonder what Disney was really expecting for the OW, if they were saying they thought it could still do $200M, as of yesterday. It can be insulting when studios lowball the weekend numbers but it saves a lot of face.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Yes it could.  But Red's right, 20% is a soft prediction so they're accounting for it a bit already.

Yeah that is a soft drop. I didn't realize that was their estimate. Well in that case...

• Community Manager

CJohn, please post that AoU finished 11th in OW admissions. 

According to BOM, even when all films are adjusted, Age of Ultron is number two in OW.

• Like 3

I've said something like this earlier but to me, if it does do that 20% drop that Disney is predicting, I would take that as making up for the lost business from Saturday.  If it does greater than that, then this film is frontloaded as hell and doesn't bode too well (that, or I'll just wait and see how it does next weekend before I can declare how this is collapsing fast).

• Like 1